PDA

View Full Version : Litterbox locations

catnapper
01-07-2005, 04:05 PM
I have been a lean-mean-cleaning-machine today. I totally cleaned my livingroom (even framed a picture to go over the mantle!) and then tackled the hall closet. Let me tell you, it was like walking through time! I doubt the floor has been seen since 1980. :o I even now have a pile of coats I've never seen to be donated to the Salvation Armys coat drive! :)

Anyway, now that the closet is all purty... I was thinking about moving the largest litterbox into the closet. It is the main box for the cats. The cats will figure out where to find it if I move it. They've been playing in that closet all afternon - this is a very exciting event for them! :D

I'm just concerned about two things: 1) the cats being locked in the closet 2)the closet door being shut blocking their access to the litterbox. But thats something I can work on with the family.

Anyone else have a main litterbox in a closet? Dumb idea? Great idea? Do you keep the door cracked or wide open? Install a kitty door?

Tonya
01-07-2005, 04:08 PM
I'd install a kitty door.

Nomilynn
01-07-2005, 04:15 PM
If it's a place where you normally hang coats, your clothes might smell like litter :p That would be my only concern :D

moosmom
01-07-2005, 04:21 PM
I had a litterbox in my closet a while back. I took the cover off so it would fit. Well, that was a big mistake. Doogie, who is a BIG boy, over compensated and missed the box when he peed. When I rearranged my boxes again, I noticed the closet floor smelled of kitty pee. I scrubbed it with bleach and sprayed it with Nok-Out. The odor is now gone, but I've relocated the boxes back into the "kitty room", with the covers.

My towels and sheets were on the shelves above the box and none of them absorbed the odor.

Don't let my experience discourage you though. Every case is different.

caseysmom
01-07-2005, 04:26 PM
gigi is such a bad aim...she purposely aims bad after I clean the floor...anyway I have to have it on the tile floor.

catnapper
01-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Whew am I lucky! I have no covers on any of my boxes and nobody ever misses with pee. Occasionally I have someone mis-aim with poo, but thats a rare occurance, and the box that I have downstairs now (the box in question of being relocated) has never had the occurance of poop outside the box.

Yes, we do keep coats in that closet, but it seems the people in my house are allergic to hanging up coats. So usually during jacket season, they are hung up once a week when I finally get around to hanging them up! :D I'm not worried about the coats smelling like litter because I am really on top of the litter situation. I can also put in an airfreshener if it ever started to feel stuffy in there.

Oh what to do, what to do? :p

kimlovescats
01-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Yes, I kept one in my foyer closet (aka coat closet). What I did to insure that the door wasn't closed .... I nailed a small wooden object (actually a cat cut-out) to the door frame, to where it would stick out a bit and keep the door from closing! I'm sure there are other creative ways to do something too! I have no doubt your creative genius will spark something brilliant!!!:D

catnapper
01-07-2005, 06:52 PM
Thanks Kim! I will have to find something to use. Now I realize too that I'll ned to paint the inside of the door! :D The outside is grey and the inside is an ugly mahogany stain with yellowing varnish from when the house was built in 1920. It looks terrible even half opened. Now I know what I'll be doing tomorrow :D

Oh, and hubby almost fell over when I suggested cutting the door to put in a kitty door! Guess I won't be doing that!

kimlovescats
01-07-2005, 06:53 PM
LOL!!! Good luck! ;)

catnapper
01-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Ooo... I should photograph this closet for you... lovely baby poop green shag carpet, smilie face yellow and white polka dotted wallpaper, yellow trim. Simply divine! :D (blecccchhhhh!)

kimlovescats
01-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
Ooo... I should photograph this closet for you... lovely baby poop green shag carpet, smilie face yellow and white polka dotted wallpaper, yellow trim. Simply divine! :D (blecccchhhhh!)

Aha .... from the groooovy 70's eh? Yes, a photo would be great! We can then have a before and after! :D

Nomilynn
01-07-2005, 11:40 PM
I didn't mean it would necessarily smell like dirty litter.. I know that anything I kept in the room with my litter boxes, unless I kept a fan going to circulate air, everything smelled like dust. It might not be too bad, though, if you use the coats on a regular basis.

shais_mom
01-07-2005, 11:58 PM
I have my extra large box in my main bedroom closet with a kitty cubby hole for them to get in.
I am not overly on top of the scooping game but I keep air fresheners in there and sprinkle baking soda or carpet powder in the box. I would say go for it!!!
I had my box in the corner of my bedroom and when Keegan came along I had to improvise b/c she kept crawling in the box - she was quite the wiley puppy!!
So my dad wanted to make me a walk in closet and I said "Only if you make me a kitty hole". He reluctantly did it - but he made a frame for it on his own! ;)

moosmom
01-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Fabreeze works wonders on odors. I use it all the time on my carpets and furniture, as well as whenever I change my bed.

catmandu
01-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Three,are in the basement,and 2,on each floor,and one,each,are in the closets,where engineers Moose,and JJJ3 cant through the litter,all over the floor.

catnapper
01-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone! I moved it into the closet last night. I also cleaned out the box and added all fresh litter. Of course Pouncer and Harry noticed it immediately - they both were fighting over who got to roll around in the new litter :rolleyes:

I was a bit worried that fussy Allen would find the litterbox to his liking in the new location, but he was the first to "christen" the box :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I also took two rubber tacks and hammered them into the door and door frame, when you shut the door, the rubber tops hit each other and keep the latch from catching. Now I dont have to worry about anybody being locked in or out.