PDA

View Full Version : What The H#@l Is Wrong With People???

QueenScoopalot
01-07-2005, 08:44 AM
http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive2/010505/tp5np15.htm?date=010505&story=tp5np15.htm

Community opens hearts for Rocky

Folks from as far away as South Dakota are stepping up to help a little dog which was savagely beaten with a metal bat on Saturday.

Rocky, a 5-month-old Chihuahua, is not his happy, little feisty self anymore after he received a vicious beating by a man riding a bike near the yard he was playing in.

The beating happened on Dearborn Avenue, off Peachland Boulevard, in Port Charlotte. Rocky was playing outside with his best pal Leo Cornejo, 2.

The man who beat the dog is described as an older man with thinning hair who rides a red bike in the Dearborn Avenue area. He was wearing a white T-shirt and gray shorts during the incident according to witnesses.

According to a Charlotte County Sheriff's report, the pup was barking at the man who was riding past the yard on his bike. For an unknown reason, the man whacked the dog, the report states.

Though Rocky was dealt a vicious blow from a man who didn't even know him, his story inspired a community of people who also didn't know him to open their hearts and wallets and help save the dog.

The Sun received numerous phone calls and e-mails from people asking how they can help, including begging to help pay the veterinary bills.

The dog initially treated at the Veterinary Emergency Clinic of Port Charlotte on Saturday evening is in need of more advanced neurological tests. The dog shakes, is depressed and remains quiet, according to his owner Maria Cornejo.

The dog will most likely need an MRI and CAT scan to determine what's wrong with him, according to Dr. Wendy Ellis, the vet who saw Rocky Saturday after the beating.

These tests will now be possible because of donations that have been collected and given from people in the community and from afar. One woman actually had $100 collected by mid morning Tuesday.

Jeff Bogard, a Lakeworth resident who owns land out in Rotonda West, was appalled at the cruel act and is donating money to help Rocky.

"It's a shame," said Bogard.

A woman from South Dakota who read the story at her friend's home in Port Charlotte wants to do everything she can to help.

"If we don't do something then the mom and the little boy will grow up thinking there's only bad people," said June Schotp. "Hopefully we can help the little doggie."

Cornejo is moved by the kindhearted donors.

"Inside, I am so happy," Cornejo said.

The 24-year-old mom just wants her dog to get better.

"He doesn't bark. He doesn't cry. He doesn't do anything," she said. "I think he's really afraid."

An account has been set up at Rocky's veterinarian's office in Port Charlotte.

Anyone who wants to help Rocky can send a check to Dr. Karen's Animal Hospital at 1940 Kings Highway, Unit 3, Port Charlotte FL 33980. Donations by credit card can be made by calling the office at 766-8555.

The Sheriff's Office and Animal Control are asking the community for help in locating the man who beat Rocky.

Animal Control is investigating the case. Sheriff's deputies could follow if the situation warrants it. Lt. Brian Jones, the assistant director for Animal Control, said the agency will start questioning witnesses today.

"Basically we will try to find the guy," Jones said.

Anyone with information can call Animal Control at 764-4320 or the Sheriff's Office at the CCSO tip line at 637-TIPS (8477) or Crimestoppers at 800-780-TIPS (8477) or 941-639-2101.

robinh
01-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Good Heavens, a chihuahua. What was the vicious dog going to do - attack his ankles? That kind of cruelty just makes me ill.

:( :mad: :(

mina'smomma
01-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Oh that poor baby. I wish I knew why people do such horrible things. I just want to clober that guy. It's almost as bad as the previous story you posted about the Colombians using puppies to smuggle drugs.