PDA

View Full Version : Bittersweet reunion - our kitty is returning home.

catland
01-07-2005, 12:20 AM
We have three cats, Sid is eight, Jan is five, and Joxer is four years old. Joxer is Jan's son.

Jan's other son, and Joxer's brother is returning home to us tomorrow night. His name is Strauss. Our friend, Strauss's human daddy, committed suicide last week. Its so devistating to think about.

Our friend lived alone with his two kitties. His brother will be able to take care of one cat but not both (he already has a couple of cats). So we're taking back Strauss. He hasn't lived here since he was seven weeks old so I know it will be quite an adjustment. I don't know what cats go through when there has been a tragedy like this. I'm thinking of calling the vet to ask about possibly getting some anti-anxiety meds for him, and maybe for the rest of the gang.

So I guess I'm here for advice. Our plan is of course to keep him in a back bedroom to begin the adjustment. I was also thinking that a couple of feliway defusers might be a plan.

I also think this is going to be hard because when we look at him, we'll be reminded of our friend. But it was very important to us that he not end up in a shelter. I think our friend would have liked that.

thanks everyone.

PayItForward
01-07-2005, 03:15 AM
You are right to seperate your new cat and that what he is to the rest of your cats it is highly unlikely that they will remember him.
Our Tigs met his brother at the vets after two weeks of seperation and they hissed at each other !!!

Follow my guide and take it slowly, using the Feliwell diffusers are a great idea.
http://www.piftails.com/introducingnewcat.html

jenluckenbach
01-07-2005, 04:54 AM
What a sad situation :(:( I am sorry to hear about your friend but I am so glad that you are taking Strauss in to your home.

christa
01-07-2005, 06:26 AM
Very sad situation . . . I'm just glad that it doesn't have to be a sad ending for his cats as well.

Good luck with the intros . . . I know it's unlikely that his "cat family" will remember him, or sense him . . . but wouldn't it be awesome if they did???

:) Good luck!

catmandu
01-07-2005, 08:30 AM
It always saddens me,when someone is so sad,and depressed,that they give up,our most precious gift,and that is the gift,of life! I am glad,that you are taking this Cat in,for your friend,and I hope,that the new Cat,is not too stressed,by losing his Guardian,and Cat Companion.

catnapper
01-07-2005, 08:42 AM
:( You are a great friend fr taking in his cat knowing that is what he would have wanted. Yes it will be hard, but soon you'll be glad to still have a piece of him through the cat. Good luck re-introducing him into your family.

kimlovescats
01-07-2005, 10:03 AM
What a tragic story ... bless you for taking little Strauss back in. I think your plans are perfect, just give him time and he will adjust. I hope you will stay around PT and let us meet all of your babies before long!

Kim

Cataholic
01-07-2005, 10:12 AM
OH how terribly sad. Your poor friend, may he RIP. Bless you for taking in the kitty. I think Jenny's article pretty much spells it out.

Good luck, and my condolances on the loss of your friend.:(

catland
01-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Kim - I'd hardly call him "little" Strauss - I think he weighs about 18 pounds - all muscle.:eek: . He looks just like his mom (except for the fact that he's over twice her size).

Another of my concerns how it will affect the rest of my gang. My boy Sid tends to spray when he gets upset. Joxer is very much a timid boy and allows himself to be bossed around. Jan rules the roost (in spite of, or maybe because of her size).

This should be interesting.

Catsnclay
01-07-2005, 12:57 PM
If Sid tends to spray when stressed, then I really recommend the Feilaway diffuser, they do help.

Also a good way to introduce a new kitty to the family is after a few days in seclusion a nice TUNA party! :D :D

Good luck, sorry to hear of your friend's passing. You are a wonderful friend for thinking of his cat's future.

Vio&Juni
01-07-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm sorry about your friend.

Tell us all about how the adjustment goes and show us pictures of Strauss.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-07-2005, 04:05 PM
So sad. :( But I'm glad you're able to help out and take Strauss back. I'm sure that eases the burden on your friend's family immensely.