PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about Ripley's spraying

jazzcat
01-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Ripley has started spraying the bathroom rug and corner of the outer tub. He does this regularly now. He did this a few months ago as protest right in front of me but then didn't do it again for a while but now he is spraying it almost every other day. I'll wash the rug, clean and disinfect (and Nature's Miracle the area) and put the rug back and the next day or so he marks it. So far I think it's only that area and I think it's because he's been wanting in the garage and this is his way of protesting if we don't let him out. I'm at that point where I'd just move him out to the garage for good because that's all he wants and spends his time begging to go or trying to run out when the door is open.

Anyway, any suggestions on what to do? We've had behavioral spraying problems with him before, any time there is a change in the house, but this one just seems to be his way of showing us he's mad when he doesn't get his way.

One other thing, his spray is kind of wimpy and doesn't go out far, thank goodness, but it really doesn't smell very strong. It's very weak smelling, not the typical strong spray scent. Could this be a sign of something?

He goes for his annual next month and I plan to discuss meds to help him stop this.

One more thing, I use both Feliway Plug-Ins and spray already.

kimlovescats
01-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Lori, I'm not really sure about this .... I think a good check-up to rule out a health issue would just be the best approach! Good luck, it's always something, huh?:rolleyes: ;)

catmandu
01-07-2005, 08:47 AM
If he isneutered,then there wont,be as much scent,thank God,as that never goes away.

jazzcat
01-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by catmandu
If he isneutered,then there wont,be as much scent,thank God,as that never goes away.
Thanks Gary, I didn't realize that was why his urine wasn't as strong smelling. Thank goodness for that!

jenluckenbach
01-08-2005, 05:50 AM
So why can't he spend some time in the garage? Maybe he just wants a break from the other kittens? If it is a safe place that he can hang out for a little while each day, I would give it a try.

catcrazylady
01-08-2005, 05:55 AM
Lori I'm sorry you are going through this again. I know when we had that issue a few months ago I thought I was going to lose my mind!! I wish I had some great advice to offer but I don't.
Ours were doing it in the fall when we had the windows open. The ferals that I feed were spraying and marking their territory outside and mine felt the need to mark theirs inside. Mine finally stopped after we closed the house up. I'm not looking forward to Spring!!