PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little worried about Cracker Jack

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-05-2005, 08:51 PM
I don't think it's anything serious, but I thought I'd get your opinions before I start getting worried.

He hasn't eaten much since we brought him home last night - not much at all. He has drank some, but not much of that either. This morning and then when I came home tonight he had pooped, but it was real runny and diarrhea like. I know he was on Clavamox for URI up until 12/28, but I would think the effects of that would be all worn off by now. The shelter also mentioned that he had been wormed, but didn't actually say when. I'm thinking if they just gave him the pills yesterday before we brought him home, that might explain the diarrhea, but if not, maybe it's just all the excitement and newness? I will be calling them tomorrow to find out about the deworming. They said he's 10 lbs, which to me, now that I actually see him in person instead of in pictures, seems to light for him. He has a huge head, but he is incredibly skinny - at least compared to what I'm used to anyway....and as you all know, Tubby "grew into" his name, so maybe he's not a good comparison. ;)

So anyway, what do you all think, should I be worried? Part of the adoption fee was a free check up, but they're booked so he can't get in until NEXT Saturday (the 15th), so should I push it and call my most favorite vet and get him in this weekend, even if it isn't free?

Thanks for any and all advice. I just have zero experience with getting a cat from a shelter that I don't know what would be considered normal. :o

aki
01-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Could it be the food you are feeding him is different from what the shelter gave him? Sometimes that can be upsetting to their little tummies.

I would definately call the shelter or your vet for a their opinion, but I would not worry about it too much. Maybe he is just adjusting to the new home.

Keep us all informed!

Aki~

kimlovescats
01-05-2005, 09:04 PM
I would find out about the deworming ..... it sounds like he could have some Coccidia or bacteria though ..... he might need some Albon or something. I wouldn't let him share litterboxes with Peanut just yet! Good luck!;)

rg_girlca
01-05-2005, 09:07 PM
I agree with aki, that is could be a change of diet or being stressed out. Try not to worry too much (Yeah right, like that's not going to happen) and I would definitely call the shelter tomorrow in regards to when he was dewormed and what kind of food they gave him.

Apart from what is happening to him right now, how is he otherwise? Is he still loveable and giving you headbumpies and purrs?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Apart from what is happening to him right now, how is he otherwise? Is he still loveable and giving you headbumpies and purrs?

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll try not to worry too much. ;)

Yes, he is still being lovable and giving head bumpies and is purring up a storm. He has latched onto Catmandu's Canadian catnip toy and is having a field day with it! :D The toy was sent to help cheer Tubby up, so I'm so glad that Cracker Jack has taken to it. Seems he really loves his nip. It also looks like he's been taking lessons from Eddie (Edwina's nemesis), but I'm going to make a new thread on that subject. ;)

I'm in the bedroom with him now while I do my school work. He is sleeping somewhere that I can't see right now. Wish he'd come up on the bed with me, but everytime I bring him up he jumps down, and is still much more animated when Terry is around. Unfortunately I've had some catching up to do at school, so I've been on the computer most of the night - here in the bedroom - so I have no idea what Peanut is doing....although she was being quite a character earlier. But I'll have another thread on that subject too. ;)

Anyway, back to the subject. I thought it might be the change in food, except for the fact that he has eaten so little of it. He has now visited the water bowl 4 times since I've been in here, so it looks like he's at least drinking more than I thought he was.

I'll be calling the shelter tomorrow, and depending on what they say, I'll be calling the vet. No worries about them sharing a litterbox anytime soon....;) :D

kimlovescats
01-05-2005, 09:19 PM
The fact that he is drinking is good, of course .... but it could also be a sign that he is getting dehydrated from the diarrhea. I wouldn't panic, and I'm certainly not trying to give you something to worry about, but I might check with your regular vet .... especially if the diarrea is still really loose tomorrow along with excessive drinking!;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-05-2005, 09:20 PM
Thanks Kim. I knew I could count on you for good medical advice. :D

catnapper
01-05-2005, 09:22 PM
From what I hear, a lot of cats won't eat much when they come to a new home. Have you tried tempting him with some wet food or perhaps some bland chicken?

Cinder & Smoke
01-05-2005, 09:26 PM
I guess "ditto" to all the above.

I doubt it's a Red Flag /ER Visit tonight situation;
but YOU won't feel good till you get him checked out!

Start with the Shelter:
Worming date, medication, and did they see anything "come out"?
What did They feed him?
What were his poopies like during his stay?

Note: "Bag & SAVE" some of his "stuff" tonight or in the morning
so the White Coat has a sample to test.
DOUBLE Bag and store in the fridge (might 'forget' to tell Terry
WHERE you're storing "it").

As for the "free check" on the 15th or Your TRUSTED Vet sooner?
I'll pay for YOUR Vet if that helps. :D

I do think it may be a case of Nerbz with his Change of
Residence amd/or food change...
but "let's" get him checked ASAP

Miss Meow
01-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Oh my god, I am so behind the times. I had no idea that Cracker Jack was your new fur child :o

Before I go find your *other* thread ;), I agree about keeping an eye on him and calling the vet if you feel the need. It's a good sign that he's drinking.

Maybe some warm, smelly food like heated canned food will help his appetite. Our last vet always recommended 'mouse temperature' stinky food to perk a sick or stressed cat.

HTH :)

Craftlady
01-05-2005, 09:52 PM
I've only had to deal with colds from shelter. Both Eleanor and Thumper had slights ones from PetSmart. Their appetites were pretty normal after a day. First day both didnt' touch much food.

Dewormer, I had to give Skinny that pill (as a precaution) it didn't slow him down at all. Eleanor and Thumper already had the pill before we got them. Cant help you on that part.

I would certainly ask shelter if he had potty problems while he was there.

jazzcat
01-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Both Jazz and Scout, who were shelter cats, had diarrhea for the first several days or so they were here then it firmed up. I attributed it to the change in diet and stress (and clavamox for Jazz). Later I discovered they both had tapeworms and I didn't figure it out for a little while. I had the pleasure of finding something that looked like rice - ewww! By that point they had firm BMs and no diarrhea so I don't think it is an automatic sign of worms. I got them about a year apart but the scenerio played out the same in both cases.

krazyaboutkatz
01-05-2005, 11:55 PM
I agree with the others. Try not to panic. Hopefully you'll get some answers from the shelter. It could just be nerves. Goodluck and please keep us updated.:)

jenluckenbach
01-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Personally, I would take him and a stool sample to the vets. When a cat is dewormed, there are many choices of medication and some just don't kill ALL the possibilities. He may need a different med.

If he isn't eating much try something more tempting like canned food. There is always the possibility he is a fussy eater. Also, at 7 years of age, I would have his teeth checked.

It could be nerves, new food, parasites etc, but why wait 10 days if there is something that can be done now?

catcrazylady
01-06-2005, 05:57 AM
First off I have to say that I have watched Cracker Jacks video a bunch of times and I'm in love with him!:D

I could not offer any better advice than has already been given. I'm sure the poor guy is nervous and trying to adjust to his wonderful new home.

I also saw many picker eater kitties get really thin at the shelter. They used only Science Diet and a lot of the cats hated it. They only ate enough to stay alive. I think that an older cat that has been fed something specific most of its life has trouble dealing with new foods. You may just have to find one that he is willing to eat.

Do you know how long he was in the shelter? I wonder if he didn't like their food either and that is what has caused a weight loss. He may have been fed canned food before. You just never know and it takes awhile to get all the kinks worked out. I'd say in about another two weeks you both will have it all down pat!:D
Getting him a check up won't hurt a thing!

GIANT kissies to CJ and big {{{{HUGS}}}} to you.

K & L
01-06-2005, 07:55 AM
I'm a worrier, so if it were me I would take him to my regular vet for a good checkup. It could also be from a change of diet, or is he on the same food he was in the shelter? Since he had a URI they can come back so I really think a checkup would be a good thing! Also he should be checked for diabetes if he continues to drink a lot and hang out at the water bowl. Good luck and let us know!!

catmandu
01-06-2005, 08:37 AM
The Found Cats,are very pleased,that Cracker Jack,likes thier present,and dont worry,when Cracker Jack,is hungry,he will eat.Its the excitement,of the New Furr Ever Home,and we are sending Mr Fluffy Angel,to guide Cracker Jack,onto the right path.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
As for the "free check" on the 15th or Your TRUSTED Vet sooner? I'll pay for YOUR Vet if that helps. :D

Thanks so much for the offer, Phred, but you know it's not necessary. ;) :D I like to take advantage of "free" stuff, but if one of my kitty's health is in jeopardy, I'll pay whatever it takes. I was just trying to get a feel for if it was that urgent of an issue. :)

I called the shelter this morning and they said the date of his deworming is on the paperwork they gave me. Paperwork? You mean that big folder of stuff they gave me? You mean I'm supposed to read that? ;) :rolleyes: :o So, I guess knowing the date will have to wait until I get home again. :rolleyes:

But I did call another vet who can get us in this Saturday. With all the visits in the last couple of months, I've amassed a few "back ups" and actually, this is the very first original vet that T & P went to for years before I started looking around for others. They are certainly more than adequate and I have complete confidence in them. They just tend to get a bit on the busy side and sometimes I don't have the patience to wait. :o

So, Cracker Jack and I, and a "sample" will be off to the vet Saturday morning. Things did seem a little "firmer" last night, but still just as stinky - whew! - so I'm hoping it was just nerbz. Oh, and he did eat some last night too, and I did give him some of Peanut's left over canned treats this morning and he gobbled it down. And he's still acting like a total sweetheart and rolling around and acting goofy and he let me give him tummy rubs this morning and I opened the blinds and he was entranced by all the snow and the outside view he had and.....well...you get the idea. He's doing great! :D

Thanks for all your advice and I will definitely let you all know how the vet visit goes.

Barbara
01-06-2005, 11:16 AM
I have no idea- actually I never had a kitty with diarrhea. But his behavior sounds ok which means there is no immediate alarm.:)

Anyway he'll have his check Saturday and I think this is good both for him and us all;)

hdeneise
01-06-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
I opened the blinds and he was entranced by all the snow and the outside view he had and.....well...you get the idea.

...Thanks, rub it in. I've only seen snow twice.

cruisetime
01-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Debbie - as you know I'm new to cats but I did get Meka from the local Animal Control. She took a little time to settle into the "new" house and get her nerves settled. Also she still getts diareah when I change her food to soft food for some reason. So I give her the hard food. I even bought the same brand of soft food as the dry food and it just seems to go right threw her. I can give her my food and she is fine or hard food BUT NOT soft food.. I'm just saying it is probably nerves... Glad you are taking the new kitty in and please keep us updated on what they say. BUT dont' worry... :) :) He is so lucky to have you! Debbie

Cinder & Smoke
01-06-2005, 12:30 PM

Thanks so much for the offer, Phred,
but you know it's not necessary. ;) :D

But I did call another vet
who can get us in this Saturday.

Hee Heee Heee! :D
I KNEW it wasn't "necessary"...
But you DID take the "hint". ;)

Things did seem a little "firmer" last night, but still just as stinky - whew! - so I'm hoping it was just nerbz.

What IZZIT wiff Kats!???
Boots saves his "best" STINK-bombs :p for when I'm settled on
the Big White Waddur Bowl and NOT in any condition to leave...
He <DASHES> in and <LEAPS> into The Box...
*PLOP*
:eek: ***pheWWWW!*** - WHAT did you EAT!??? :p :mad: ...

He <leaps back out>;
gives an *evil* *GRINN* over his shoulder;
and <dashes> down the hallway!
:rolleyes:

He's hoping CJ gets a lil "less stinky" as
he starts to settle in!
:D

AmberLee
01-06-2005, 12:55 PM
.... And he's still acting like a total sweetheart and rolling around and acting goofy and he let me give him tummy rubs this morning ...

Tummy rubs? Already tummy rubs?! Good sign!!!

Fingers crossed that all goes well for this good boy!

lizzielou742
01-06-2005, 02:22 PM
I am sure everything will turn out just fine. Neither Sophie or Tito at much at all the first few days I brought them home. Tito didn't go to the bathroom at all for nearly 48 hours. :eek: I'm sure it's just nerves. Good that you're taking him to the vet though, just to be sure. Let us know what happens! :)