PDA

View Full Version : Ashlee Simpson booed at Orange Bowl

sammy101
01-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Ashlee Simpson booed
at Orange Bowl
Football fans jeered singer’s performance
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/canadiansam5127/050105_simpson_vmed_1p.jpg

The Associated Press

Updated: 4:29 p.m. ET Jan. 5, 2005NEW YORK - Ashlee Simpson’s Orange Bowl halftime performance was a lemon, according to the 72,000-plus Miami crowd. The 20-year-old singer received a discernible chorus of boos following a performance of her song “La La.”

“You make me wanna scream,” she sang before the audience jeered.

Simpson was among a trio of halftime performers Tuesday night in a game that saw Southern California overwhelm Oklahoma 55-19. The camera cut away from her face as the booing began.

LIVE VOTE
Should football fans have booed Ashlee Simpson?

The negative vocal reaction came months after Simpson’s performance on NBC’s “Saturday Night Live,” which revealed she used background vocal tracks. The mishap was later attributed to acid reflux.

However, the Orange Bowl crowd did have a reason to cheer. The Walt Disney Co. gave a theme park ticket to every fan. The giveaway, a promotion that could cost as much as $4.3 million if all the tickets are used, is in honor of the 50th anniversary of its Disneyland park in California.

The second season of Simpson’s unscripted MTV reality show, “The Ashlee Simpson Show,” premieres Jan. 26 and will capture the “SNL” appearance and preparation for her first nationwide tour, which begins Feb. 18 at Los Angeles’ Universal Amphitheatre.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6790938/
---------------------------------------------------------------------
i watched her performance,,and well i would have to agree with the Football fans,she really did sound like she was screaming..very badly,she just sounded terrible.but it was sad that she got booed..i sure wouldnt like it.

RICHARD
01-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by sammy101
[B]

The second season of Simpson’s unscripted MTV reality show, “The Ashlee Simpson Show,” premieres Jan. 26 and will capture the “SNL” appearance and preparation for her first nationwide tour, which begins Feb. 18 at Los Angeles’ Universal Amphitheatre.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
i watched her performance,,and well i would have to agree with the Football fans,she really did sound like she was screaming..very badly,she just sounded terrible.but it was sad that she got booed..i sure wouldnt like it.

Historically speaking, and as a football fan........

Why was she there in the first place?

Disneyland, ABC, ESPN and MTV strike again!

THAT is one reason that I don't put too much stock in and try not to watch anything on any of those channels ( I do catch myself breaking the rules every so often.)

Those three entities ALWAYS cross promote......and in the stupidest ways......
---------------------------------

A year ago they made the mistake of putting a Jackson and Justin on at halftime during the SuperBowl-That was a fricking train wreck.....

It's just a play to get people OTHER than football fans to tune in to see a game that may not play in some sections of the country.

Do I feel sorry for ashley simpson.........Nope.

I know I can't sing, so I don't sing.

;)

Karen
01-05-2005, 06:14 PM
If she gave a bad performance, why shouldn't she be booed?

lizzielou742
01-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Man, it was awful. I watched a video of it online, and it was really bad. Ouch.

BCBlondie
01-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Here's a video of it:
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2662083?htv=12

All I have to say is... wow... and... I'm not surprised... :X

GoldenRetrLuver
01-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by BCBlondie
All I have to say is... wow... and... I'm not surprised... :X

DITTO!

Ehe.. that was pretty.. umm.. bad. :o

NoahsMommy
01-05-2005, 11:48 PM
While I agree with Richard...why was she singing at a football game? They don't seem to be her type of fans...I don't think any performer should be boo'd. Its just poor manners...

Cinder & Smoke
01-06-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

... why was she singing at a football game?
They don't seem to be her type of fans...

EXACTLY!!
Maybe the Fans are trying to send that message to the producers!

Once upon a distant time...
Football Hafltime shows featured :eek:Marching BANDS! :)
And I never remember a BAND getting "boo'd"!

Just like the SuperBowl:
Watch EVERY Advertising Spot -
Whatch (most) of the Game...
And surf to another network for the HalfTime ?show?.
OK, I'll admit we DID watch the "malfunction" (LIVE :D )
last year, but
only 'cause we were checkin back for an Ad! :p

/s/ Phred

Lillycat
01-06-2005, 08:31 AM
i agree w/noah's mommy......where have manners gone to? they are noticeably absent anymore!!!!

Jadapit
01-06-2005, 09:15 AM
IMHO Ashley can't sing but they should not have booed her like that. She is so young and can you imagine what that did to her self esteem? I agree with the others where are peoples manners:confused:

KYS
01-06-2005, 09:48 AM
I saw her act and even though she was bad,
I was surprised and disspointed when I heard the boos. :(
Not nice.

lovemyshiba
01-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Wow.

Thanks for posting that link.

I think she might need some time off to work on her singing before she tries another live performance.
She had the SNL disaster, and then this. Maybe it's time for some voice lessons, or a new job:p

LKPike
01-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Jadapit
IMHO Ashley can't sing but they should not have booed her like that. She is so young and can you imagine what that did to her self esteem? I agree with the others where are peoples manners:confused:

imagine what it did to her poor sister's, Jessica Simpson, self esteem, when poor wittle Ashlee came out with that song "liiiving in the shaaaadow, of someone elses dreeeeam" which without doubt was directed at her simple minded sister because Ashlee, up until her genius idea of "I got a bad voice, but if I sing people will listen!", was just an unknown dancer for her sister.

shes got money. lots of it. thats the only reason shes "accepted" doing this. she probably pays people to tell her how awesome she sounds.

Mandy1
01-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Karen
If she gave a bad performance, why shouldn't she be booed?

This is just my opionin but I think it's horrible for someone to get booed. She didn't purposley have a bad performance. Everyone makes mistakes, I think she is very talented and not every performance goes as people would like it to. She is still pretty young and she has come along way and accomplished a lot of things. Imagin if you were her, would you want to be humiliated in public?

Kfamr
01-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Um.. is she purposefully trying to get worse by each performance?

It seems like it.

Karen
01-06-2005, 10:25 PM
She is a professional, a paid performer. She decided on this career, she decided to take that risk.

Sure, if she was an ordinary kid, and this was a high school concert, or a school recital or something I agree she shouldn't be booed, but she is the one putting herself out there as a performer - as a singer. How should people express disappointment in a professional's performance?

By the way, I doubt her self-esteem has suffered one iota. And I do not mean that in any negative way - she still got paid for the gig, right? Maybe she'll invest in some training.

Mandy1
01-06-2005, 11:00 PM
This was only ONE bad performance! Just because this one didn't turn out well doesn't mean she doesn't have any training , and she needs some!

Originally posted by Karen

By the way, I doubt her self-esteem has suffered one iota. And I do not mean that in any negative way - she still got paid for the gig, right? Maybe she'll invest in some training.

GoldenRetrLuver
01-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Mandy1
This was only ONE bad performance! Just because this one didn't turn out well doesn't mean she doesn't have any training , and she needs some!

Nope. This hasn't been her first bad performance. There's been more then one. I'm too tired to look for the older thread on it, but there was another time when she was 'caught' lip singing on Saturday Night Live.

I, personally, can't stand Ashlee Simpson, and I do think she needs 'training' (and that's putting it nicely). ;)

catnapper
01-07-2005, 09:28 AM
I heard the whole mess on the radio yesterday morning. What a terrible performance! They said that she originally screwed up at an MTV award ceromny of some sort, then they booked the SNL appearnace to sort of make ammends for the bothced MTV gig, only she made it a thousand tiems worse at SNL... then I'm sure she booked the Orange Bowl to rectify both MTV and SNL... only to have REALLY made a fool of herself.

It is actually pretty sad. After a certain point, I'd wake up and realize that I don't have my sister's abilities and go off to find my own way to shine. Take the millions she already made on tv shows and music and invest it in something that she can really excel in.

Samantha Puppy
01-07-2005, 10:20 AM
What was she doing there anyway? It's ridiculous - how many college-age people do they think listen to her and on top of that, what were they expecting with 70,000 DRUNK college-age people??? It was a disaster waiting to happen.

I just wish she'd go away. She has no talent, she's proven that many times over. She would be NO ONE if her sister isn't who she is. If *I* were Ashlee's older sister, her ass would be working at the local grocery store after school.

lynnestankard
01-07-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm so glad to be able to say - I don't know who she is!!!!!!

But if anyone gives a bad performance over here - they expect to be boo'd.

Lynne

nibblets
01-07-2005, 01:14 PM
In my opinion...the girl can not sing at all. She doesn't have the personality that her sister does so that can't even carry her. From what I've seen of her, she comes across as a spoiled brat and should find another career choice for her future....BUT...I do not think it was right for the crowd to boo her. She's only 20 years old...that had to really hurt, and it is in poor taste for the crowd to carry on like that. She isn't the opposing team, she's just an untalented girl trying to ride on the success of her older sister and obviously no one that cares about her has the guts to tell her she should try something else more suited to her abilities.

RICHARD
01-07-2005, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by nibblets
She isn't the opposing team, she's just an untalented girl trying to ride on the success of her older sister and obviously no one that cares about her has the guts to tell her she should try something else more suited to her abilities.

She's lucky she wasn't in Philadephia....

The fans there BOO their own parents....:confused:

carole
01-07-2005, 01:46 PM
I have not heard her sing, but I take your word on it, maybe booing her was not nice, but when you are an entertainer, you have to take the bad along with the good, I mean how else is the audience supposed to react, clap for her bad performance, then she will never know that she needs to up her performance.

Sorry but it is all part of the job, maybe she is cashing in on her sister's name and needs to look for another career.

catnapper
01-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
She's lucky she wasn't in Philadephia....

The fans there BOO their own parents....:confused:
Are you kidding? If it was in Philly, they'd have stormed the stage! :D Glad to see my local boys are such well behaved gentlemen at the games. Perhaps I should move!?

As for the boo-ing? If I gave a performance like that I would expect to be booed. She was PAID to stand up there and sing. One thing if she was pulled from the crowd and someone shoved a microphone in her hand and said "Sing" and another to have her get paid untold thousands of dollars to screech! She's a professional(or is supposed to be).

What would have been appaling is if she gave the performance of a lifetime, moved everyone to tears with the beauty of her voice... only to be booed. THEN its uncalled for and the fans should be ashamed of their terrible behavior. As it stands, she stunk... and she should be ashamed of her terrible perfomance.

Kfamr
01-07-2005, 03:37 PM
I personally NEVER liked her sister but enjoyed Ashlee when she first came out. Now she's just fushing herself down the toilette.

catlady1945
01-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Is her 15 minutes nearly over??

MariaM
01-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Is her 15 minutes nearly over??

Let's hope.

jazzcat
01-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Samantha Puppy
What was she doing there anyway? It's ridiculous - how many college-age people do they think listen to her and on top of that, what were they expecting with 70,000 DRUNK college-age people??? It was a disaster waiting to happen.

I just wish she'd go away. She has no talent, she's proven that many times over. She would be NO ONE if her sister isn't who she is. If *I* were Ashlee's older sister, her ass would be working at the local grocery store after school.
Actually there was probably a lot more older alumni in attendance than college students (it costs a lot to go to a bowl game) so I'm sure they were not her targeted audience.

I just hope "The powers that be" who have decided that just because you share some of the same DNA as someone famous you automatically have talent. Of course I don't think here sister Jessica can sing either, she's just eye candy. This little brother or little sister thing is getting old, just like boy band phase got old.

I think her 15 minutes was over in 2004.

Aspen and Misty
01-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
Of course I don't think here sister Jessica can sing either, she's just eye candy. .

You are right. I went to a 98 Degrees concert years ago and Jessica Simspon was there opening act (this is where Jessica and Hubby Nick hooked up) she stunk, BAD. It was horrible to have to sit there and listen to her! She has no talent at all. And I have to say I'm not just saying this because I'm somone who hates her, because I'm not. She is now one of my fav. artist because I love her songs and new fake voice on the CD's. :D However I would never go hear her live.

Ashley

CalliesMom
01-09-2005, 03:10 PM
I like her songs on the radio, but feel it is more important to be able to sing well in public. Voices on CDs can be altered and even make me sound good..but it is in public where you can't hide your lack of talent.

She really needs to rethink her career; this is not the first time she has had an incident messing up/singing poorly. You cannot ride off the shirt tails of your sibings--you have to make your own way in life, on your own talent and skills.

swimma253
01-09-2005, 06:46 PM
I dont really like her... but I felt bad for her. :(

Harmanie
01-17-2005, 11:26 PM
oh that is so sad.:( :( Can you imagine how broken she was??? Thats awful