PDA

View Full Version : Self-Service Dog Wash

wolf_Q
01-05-2005, 03:43 PM
I'd really like to start my own business. Whether I can do that or not, I don't know. It's just something I think about all the time...

The main thing I would like to do is a self-service dog wash. There isn't any very close to where I live, there are regular grooming salons but none like that.

I'd also like to do a specialty shop with that (selling pet related items, premium food/treats), pet photography studio and possibly dog daycare or boarding.

My biggest question is whether or not I would actually make any money doing this. I'm not sure what the demand is for it around here...and I know none of you live near me, but just for curiosity's sake...

Is there a self-service dog wash where you live? If so, have you ever used it? What do they charge? If there isn't one where you live, do you wish there was?

wolf_Q
01-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Oh and I know there are several of you on here that DO have your own businesses similar to that! Any tips/advice for starting a business? I'm clueless! :o

shutterbug0303
01-05-2005, 03:50 PM
:D A women after my own heart!! :D

I am in the middle of schooling right now for opening a business very similar to that here in Myrtle Beach! The demand for boarding and grooming is extemely high here, and the profits seem to be endless as long as you can get the customers. I am also going to be doing photography (that would be my # 1 hobby), and hopefully have a private dog park as well. There is really nothing in my area for animals (the closest PetSmart/Petco is an hour away :( ) and the demand is ever-increasing. Look around at local kennels and groomers. Ask if they have openings or are they booked/full. The start-up costs are my problem right now...and the inital overhead is pretty steep, but there is potential for profit for sure! If you want more in-depth information, just PM me and I'll try to help out! :D

Good luck, from one entreprenuer to another ;)

Queen of Poop
01-05-2005, 03:51 PM
There are many dog washes here in Calgary, most are associated with the local car wash. I've not taken Sasha as she is very timid and would probably freak out. But when I have been at the car wash I have seen several dogs coming out of the dog wash door so it does seen popular.

wolfsoul
01-05-2005, 03:55 PM
I bet you'd make money doing that. I don't know about your city, but North America is general has such a high demand for anything to do with our pets! :)

Over here, most of the grooming salons let you bathe your own dog. I'd say the average price is ten dollars. Some of the car washes here also have a self service dog wash area. I've never done it myself, but I know people that would. I know that Jynnelle has brought Tikeya to Petcetera and bathed her herself.

As for starting a business, you should write up a business plan. I've done it myself, and it's hard work, but it gives you such a clear understanding of everything. You need to research your target market and market profile, and if you are interested in this as a full time business, you should probably start out part time at first, and then see how much money you make part time so that you can guess how much you would make full time. You also have to add up the costs of shampoo, conditioner, advertising, etc. Thinking up a good slogan and logo would be very helpful as well. I wish I had my business plan on hand so I could help you out further.

Good luck!

cali
01-05-2005, 04:04 PM
a person started one here, but it did not last long, and now the place is a pet hotel. I dont know what happend with it though, I never went, seeing as how I have everything I need for grooming already, and I am not sure I want to drive to the other side of the city just for a bath. but that is just what it is like around here, a lot of people have dogs, but we dont really have a hi demand for anything dog. we have 4 main dogsport clubs in the city and the demand for any of it is extremly low.

Glacier
01-05-2005, 04:11 PM
The only one here is in the local feed store, so it's kinda like what you want to do. It does well here. There are couple groomers, but most of the dogs up here are huskies. They occasionally need a bath, but rarely full grooming! The store sells cat, dog and livestock supplies--higher end stuff, better food and fancy toys, along with basic horse/cattle stuff.

I used to use the carwash ones when I lived in Calgary. One was one our way home from the dog park so I often stopped to hose Earle off before we got home!

Right now, if I have to bath one, I take them to the humane society. They have a self-serve grooming room that costs 8 bucks for 30 minutes to rent. But you have to supply your shampoo, towels ect and clean up. The one at the store does all that for you.

BitsyNaceyDog
01-05-2005, 05:21 PM
To be honest I wouldn't use it, but my dogs are small and I can just bathe them in the bathtub. I just can't see spending money to bathe my dog myself. If I had a large dog and lived in the north, I might use it in the winter.

Cookiebaker
01-05-2005, 06:10 PM
No, we don't have anything like that around here, but I would definitely use it!!!! I don't have a convenient way to give dog baths, and I don't really like to take them to a groomers. Mostly because I'm afraid that they would act up or something.

Sounds like fun plans, Amy, and best of luck to you!!! :)

Karen
01-05-2005, 06:21 PM
We don't have anything like that around here that I know of - but Miss Hoppy wouldn't qualify anyway! But it sound like a great idea. Any car washes nearby that would let you lease part of their space?

Tips on starting a small business: http://www.success.org/MSB/

captain
01-05-2005, 06:23 PM
I wish you every success ............. we have one here near me, and we have used it a few times. I know on weekends it is sooooo busy!!!

Maybe you could offer self service / or You-will-do it service. Some people are just plain lazy, and would probably pay to to wash their dog in YOUR self service wash anyway .....

Doggie Daycare sounds like a good idea. Maybe target the main business area near you (corporate clients usually have pampered pets too!!!)

Good Luck

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-05-2005, 06:27 PM
I think it's a great idea! I take Echo to one whenever she needs a bath and I don't feel like taking her to a professional groomer. I usually pay about $15.00 (canadian):)

anna_66
01-05-2005, 07:36 PM
We have one about 7 miles from us and I checked it out because I didn't want to try and get Angus into the tub and didn't want to leave him at the groomers all day.
They charged $15 for the first 30 minutes and then $5 for every 15 minutes after that. You provide the soap, conditioner, towels, etc... But if you wanted to use their stuff there was an extra charge but I can't remember how much.
Good Luck!

cubby31682
01-05-2005, 11:41 PM
I would love to have a self service dog wash near me. That sounds like a great business to start. I have always thought of a pet supply store, and to have a dog park attached to it as well. I don't think I could ever do it though.. Good luck with it, and I hope that you do, do it.

Corinna
01-05-2005, 11:44 PM
I take Merlin to our local dog wash every other week. I pay $12.00 per visit no matter how long it takes.They did try the by the 1/2 hour and most of his cleints are larger dogs so he started the per visit. He also has wed afternoons that he will wash them for you same price. It gets a lot of the older ladies and smaller dogs in. He provides the stuff and has moore for charge of other than basics. I have a special shampoo for Mrelin so I don't use his. Seems like hes doing well, carries lots of other pet products.
A dog wash and portrait shop sounds great. I'll see if I caan find his card .He'd be worth talking to. I'll PM you tommorrow with it. Going to bed had a long day.

cali
01-06-2005, 12:25 AM
ok maybe I am just not seeing it, but what exactly is the point of paying to groom your own dog? I dont wash my dogs in the yard I wash then in the bath tub, and so does everyone else that I know in RL, if they dont have a shower attachment they fill the tub and use a bowl. my dogs are all trained to get the the tub on command wheather they like it or not, its something we train when the dogs are young incase they are to heavy to lift when they grow up. I dont know, I just dont really see the point of wasting gas and money to bathe your own dog :confused: maybe its just the midset from growing up here, but for those that do this, care to enlighten me? lol

wolfsoul
01-06-2005, 12:35 AM
Most groomers have baths that are lifted off the floor so that they don't have to bend over and hurt their back. They also have a special attaachment on the side so you can tie your dog up. Alot of dogs will also behave nicely in public, but not at home.

wolf_Q
01-06-2005, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the comments/info everyone!

Originally posted by cali
ok maybe I am just not seeing it, but what exactly is the point of paying to groom your own dog? I dont wash my dogs in the yard I wash then in the bath tub, and so does everyone else that I know in RL, if they dont have a shower attachment they fill the tub and use a bowl. my dogs are all trained to get the the tub on command wheather they like it or not, its something we train when the dogs are young incase they are to heavy to lift when they grow up. I dont know, I just dont really see the point of wasting gas and money to bathe your own dog :confused: maybe its just the midset from growing up here, but for those that do this, care to enlighten me? lol

None of your dogs are that big or that furry....imagine trying to put a really large dog in the tub, even if they know the command, they may not even fit and you can't get to the other side of them to wash/rinse. Also imagine a dog that has a ton of really long/thick fur (think samoyed, newfoundland, etc.)! It would take forever to air/towel dry a dog like that, or even using a human hair dryer. A force dryer (which I would assume most dog washes supply) dries coats like that tons faster. Sure you can buy a force dryer for home use but they are a couple of hundred dollars at least.

Also with the tubs made just for washing dogs they are elevated so it doesn't hurt your back bending over the tub to wash them. Plus you don't get as wet!

I've washed Reg/Syd at home and it's much easier to wash them at work. I've never washed Nebo at home besides rinsing dirt off. I know for a fact that he would take all day long to dry (his coat may not be that long, but it's extremely dense!) plus he would cover the bathroom with fur as well as clog the drains.

Simply put people do this to make the washing easier on themselves and the dog and to leave the mess there!

If you feel like that's a waste of money, then that's fine to think that way. I'm sure there's many other people that feel that way as well. I know that if I didn't work at a grooming salon and there was one near me I would use it!

Nomilynn
01-06-2005, 12:46 AM
There are a few around my place. I would definatly use them, and I bet people in a city would too because if you have a dog in an apt it's just messy to have to deal with a wet dog in a small space and small bathroom! Also, I would use it because I could get help with grooming tips from employees.

Amy - I think it's a great idea.

Cali - don't be so negative and rain on Amy's parade - try to be more encouraging :p

cali
01-06-2005, 12:48 AM
I gotcha lol I am not really familier with the things grooming salons use, so I would have no idea lol I also live in an older house with a rather large tub and a very large bathroom, and this is the only house we have had lots of dogs in. my dogs now are not big and hefty I know, however Shadow was, she took forever to dry but we just lived with it lol I have bathed a very large dog in a very small tub before though lol my friends dog Dakota had mites and needed a bath he is a 100lbs golden retreiver lol all I can say is I am VERY glad my dogs are so well behaved lol

Crikit
01-06-2005, 12:56 AM
I don't use one for the main reason being that I can wash the dogs for free at the training centre. If it wasn't for that I would probably use one just because I hate having to clean the bathroom after washing the dogs (didn't mind it so much when it was my sisters bathroom and didn't have to use tub and stuff afterwards) that and with all three of my dogs not liking water, it's a pain in the butt trying to make sure that I get all sides with the wall being in the way.

In other words I think it's a great idea Amy.

bckrazy
01-06-2005, 01:07 AM
That is an awesome idea! There are hardly any of those in Sacramento, we have to drive 45 minutes to go to a self-service washing place and it really isn't that nice! You would be the perfect person to start that kind of business, Amy.. especially the photography part!! I'm sure Utah has a demand for that ;).. Doggie Daycare's also do really well! I'll work for ya Amy :D

I'm like Crickit, I always go to self-service washing because I HATE cleaning up all of the hair. And, when I wash Gonzo there is hair all over the bathroom... ew. They also have waay more convenient, big elevated tubs that you don't have to bend over to reach, and they have the shampoo and leashes and towels and blow dryers all there. I pay $15 each time I go, and we go atleast 2 or 3 times a month.. it's worth it. I'd love to be able to go to a place to wash him, get his food and toys and everything! ;) You should totally look into this!

aly
01-06-2005, 01:11 AM
I was going to mention the apartment thing too. You could have a big part of your target market be people who live in apartments. I know for a fact that a lot of apartment people would use that.

There is a self-service dog wash near me, but I still haven't tried it. I don't really need to take my dogs there as they have very short fur and dry quickly, but it still sounded fun. So even if people dont necessarily NEED one, they still might be inclined to go! It is also a fun way to meet and socialize with other dog lovers.

Cinder & Smoke
01-06-2005, 01:29 AM
GOOD Idea, Amy! ;)
And you DO have "experience" in the field.

Some suggestions:

Find a Small Business Owner to talk to!
A RETIRED person (who might want to help you get started) would
be better than a working owner.
Check out: http://www.SCORE.org
It's a Nationwide Organization of Retired business owners and advisors
who give advice and counseling to folks Just Like YOU who are
getting started in the business world.

Some BANKS will offer "free" advice to small business start-ups;
but they usually want to see a Detailed Business PLAN before
they get too involved.

And ask the closest College/University - they often have a
Business School that will offer advice or needs "subjects"
for school-related projects.

GOOD LUCK!!

/s/ Phred

elizabethann
01-06-2005, 08:02 AM
There is one in Manchester, NH. I believe they charge $18 per hour. I personally wouldn't use it because Fenway is small enough (19 pounds) that he can fit in my kitchen sink! I think this place provides everything - you just bring the dog.

Good luck. I hope your business does well.

cloverfdx
01-06-2005, 08:25 AM
We have one about 5 minutes drive from us :D, Montys do it yourself dog wash and it is great. They only charge us about $8 for a hydrobath and they supply towels. The people are also Border Collie people so we get it a bit cheaper than others ;).

They also offer a grooming service and the prices are reasonable aswell, about $30 - 50 depending on the size of the dog.

Goodluck, i hope you get all the info you need and everything works out for you. I would love to do something simalar, but would need to have partners in on it.

Corinna
01-06-2005, 04:23 PM
I have 2 other dogs besides Merlin ,2 newfoundland crosses. Let me tell you , you DO NOT pick them up and put in tub. They love water just not the tub. It saves my back and hours of cleaning up the bathroom after the rodieo is over.

cocker_luva
01-06-2005, 04:53 PM
at the grooming shop i work at we have professional grooming and self service. there are 2 stations a large tub (fitting st. bernards, newfs, etc.) and a medium large tub. in the stations are shampoo, brushes, towels, blow dryers, a grooming table with an arm, alcohol and cotton balls for ears and nooses to keep the canine in the tub and/or table. they are great, ive never used one myself since we take Jesse there every 8 weeks. i love working there. and my boss said she will start teachin me how to groom, bathe, and dry a dog correctly! im soo excited, i plan on being a professional dog groomer when im older, there is soo much money in that!

LuvGold00
01-06-2005, 04:57 PM
I own a grooming/boading business. There is great money in it!!

I groom all breeds, offer daycare and boarding, and I also sell Eagle Pack pet foods.

I love it, and plan on doing it for the rest of my life, if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! :)

Kfamr
01-06-2005, 06:57 PM
I think it's a great idea. I don't see how anyone wouldn't get the point.

You actually wouldn't be wasting gas or money -- they'd supply the supplies, water, towels/source of drying, etc. (I'd think so?)
I groom all three of my dogs at home, but I think i'd go just to go. I enjoy bringing my dogs to places with me.

For example, Pets Mart is an arm and a leg, and 30 minutes away. I could easily go to a local grocery store and get toys and treats for cheaper - but I often go to Pets Mart just because I like to take my dogs somewhere.

I think the part we were talking about the gift shop and all would lure people in as well. I do think a lot of people would love that idea in my area. This is a pretty pet-friendly area and it has a lot of dog parks and dog beaches.

I'm not sure about your area though. Maybe you could do an opinion survey, if you're able to :p (I know we're both incredibly shy.) Just write down a list of questions (Even like the ones you asked us) an ask people yes or no. You could even do it by age groups, so you could know what a majority of the people interested would be.

I was telling my dad the other day how I want him to fly me out to Utah, for good, and Amy and I could start our own business.

Christiansmommy
01-06-2005, 08:05 PM
I would love to have one of those around here...none that I know of in my area. Dale doesn't get bathed too often, not much of a need, but when he does, it makes a huge mess...and the hair left in the bath tub after he gets out is gross! I have to scrub the tub after scrubbing the dog...

cyber-sibes
01-06-2005, 11:13 PM
I think it's a great idea, too. There is a self-service dog wash at a groomer that also boards not far from here. I think it was $12 or $15. they supply everything, soap, towels, and they have a power dryer. Sure cuts down on time drying a husky! The elevated tub and noose is great. I really like that they supply the towels! My only complaint was that it wasn't exactly "clean" by my standards, I had to do a little "clean-up duty" before washing my dog. She operates it several nights a week, they are always busy, you usually have to call ahead to book time.
Contact your local Businessman's association, they usually have a group of seniors that will help you with info and advice to start a small bussiness.

RobiLee
01-07-2005, 06:19 AM
I think it is a wonderful idea and I would be there! I really wish we had something like that here.

I think there would be pretty good money in it. Our dog trainer started out with a very small business in her own home. I think it mostly was a doggy day care business. It got to be so popular and she was doing so well that she bought some land, built a beautiful home and a fantastic facility right behind her house. She doesn't have a self service dog wash, but she now has dog grooming, a small gift shop, a bed and breakfast, the doggy day care and wonderful facilities outside for all the furkids to play when it is nice and plus she does the dog obedience classes. She really has a wonderful set up! She even has birthday parties for her regulars and going away parties if one of them will be moving away. She is wonderful and really really likes what she does! Here is her website if you want to check it out. http://www.gone-2-the-dogs.com/

If this is something you are serious about, then I say go for it!!! You will never know unless you try. EVen if it does not turn out to be the business that you expected, at least you tried! You would not be a failure. The only failure would be that you didn't try something that you are really interested in.

Robin :) :)