PDA

View Full Version : Fish that get along w/ Bettas

lv4dogs
01-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Ok, so I deleted my post about a few ?'s I had about Bettas since I have found out more info after searching & searching.

But I am still in search of fish that I can put with my betta.
I know of some fish that should NOT be housed with them, but not too many that can be. I know they should not resemble a betta (fancy big fins, biters etc..)

I would ask pet stores, but well ya all probably know that sometimes they are not truthful.

What I am looking for is 1-2 smaller fish as I only have a 5.5 gallon tank for now. I would like a cleaner fish (not like a goldfish, which shouldn't be housed with them anyways).

The algea eaters are usually good with them, but don't they all get quite large?

LuvGold00
01-05-2005, 03:30 PM
My betta is in a tank with about 5 gold fish and 5 pond Koi, no problems here. They all love one another, not sure what other fish you can put with a Betta...

chrissycat21
01-05-2005, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure of any fish that can be housed with a betta other then Plecos seem to do fine, but in a 5.5 gallon tank that owuldn't work, Plecos can grow to over a foot long! I do know that African Dwarf Frogs do good with bettas, be they aren't fish.:)

LuvGold00
01-05-2005, 05:15 PM
I may be wrong, but I thought Plecos grow to their surroundings? Like if it was in a 5.5 gallon take, it wouldn't get too big because the tank isn't as large?

chrissycat21
01-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by SunKissedGoldens
I may be wrong, but I thought Plecos grow to their surroundings? Like if it was in a 5.5 gallon take, it wouldn't get too big because the tank isn't as large?

They will get as big as the tank, but when put in a larger one, they will get even bigger. They can grow to around 1 foot long. They won't stay small in a small tank, though. :)

Raven
01-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Even thought SunKissedGoldens's fish get along, I thought Bettas were called Fighting Fish. I don't know. But I do know that you shouldn't put two Bettas in the same tank. They're called Fighting Fish for a reason!

Kfamr
01-05-2005, 08:13 PM
I'm not sure if a Betta would get along with it, but I do know they are peacefull, scaredy cats, or fish rather.

I used to have two green cory cats when I had my goldfish.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=20&pCatId=1161&TopCatId=1161

Kfamr
01-05-2005, 10:04 PM
I just got this off a website..

Safe Tank Mates
Because of their attractive fins, male bettas are often the targets of much bullying, like angelfish if you've kept them. For this reason they are often kept by themselves. They do fine this way, but if you'd rather keep your fish in a community tank, you do have some options. First, no two male bettas should ever be kept together. They will fight, and be in a constant state of stress. Females may be kept together or in a tank with most any community fishes, but provide plenty of hiding spots, as they have been known to fight, too. A male and female betta shouldn't be kept together except in a breeding situation or they will likely also fight. Suitable tank mates are non-aggressive and non-territorial, and must need the same tropical water conditions as the betta. Keep in mind that most fish will need more aeration in the water than bettas. It may take some work to find a happy medium for all your fish. Try guppies, mollies, or any of the tetras. Algae eaters should be avoided unless necessary, as they may try to "eat" off your betta's fins. You may also consider other aquatic animals such as snails or African dwarf frogs. Regardless of how gentle a fish you buy to go with your betta, be on the lookout for any rogue fin-nippers and be prepared to move them to a separate tank. If your betta's fins appear ragged or broken soon after a new addition, take action to remove the offender and keep the water clean to prevent infection.

http://www.klsnet.com/betta.html

LuvGold00
01-05-2005, 10:35 PM
Very good advice Kfamr!

BitsyNaceyDog
01-06-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Raven
Even thought SunKissedGoldens's fish get along, I thought Bettas were called Fighting Fish. I don't know. But I do know that you shouldn't put two Bettas in the same tank. They're called Fighting Fish for a reason!

You shouldn't put 2 male betta in a tank with each other, but you can put a betta in a tank with other types of fish. Actually you have to be careful what kind of fish you house with your betta because the other fish usually beat up the betta, not the other way around.