PDA

View Full Version : Peeing on Furniture

beagleamy
01-05-2005, 01:12 PM
We have a nearly one-year old beagle. He is house and crate-trained and up until, recently was really good about it. He had a few accidents before December on the furniture (couch and a cushioned chair) but they did not occur close to e/o.

In the past week he has peed on the same spot of the couch (the back where he like to lay) 4 times. We were dog-sitting our parent's dog the first time he did this so we thought it might be an attention thing. He has done it 3 times since the other dog has left and two of the times he did it right after he had been outside and must have faked peeing. We thought it might be an attention thing but 3/4 times we have been in the room with him and one of us has been sitting on the couch 2/4 times even.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and also if anyone knows of a great cleaner or service that can remove the smell. After the first time and before the second we washed the couch off 3 times with 'Paws and Claws', vaccumed it and put a blanket over that area. When he did it again, we repeated the above procedures and sprayed some odor stuff on it. It doesn't smell like pee at all to me, a little like the cleaner but he keeps doing it (and we've used the cleaner on other areas without him returning to the scene of the crime).

Help!

Lexi_Lover
01-05-2005, 02:31 PM
If its on the same spot then it is probably a territorial thing...dogs like to mark their territory and space! Maybe he just wants everybody to know its his spot.

If another dog has been there and sat close to or on his spot he is probably warning them that is his spot! You may need to get that repellent spray!

Good luck! :D

Pit Chick
01-05-2005, 04:18 PM
If he is not neutered, now would be the time to get it done. Petsmart has this stuff called Nature's Miracle that I've heard people swear by. I think it's used to clean and remove the odor. I've never had to use it, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

beagleamy
01-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks!

What repellent stuff are you referring to? I tried Nature's Miracle but due to the size of the area I may need a vat. The smaller areas we used it on do seem better though:)

And he is neutered--has been for about 5 months! Argh! It probably is a territorial thing because he's doing it on 'his spot' where he likes to relax and watch everything from. It's just annoying because dogs also aren't supposed to like laying around in their excrement so why go in your space?

Lexi_Lover
01-07-2005, 02:26 PM
Like I said...territorial...if they like their "spot" well enough to mark it then lie in it! It must be one good dame spot! LOL! I was talking about repellent that they don't like the smell/taste of so will not do anything near or on it! I'm not sure what its called, but the other stuff is used to clean it up!

Dixieland Dancer
01-07-2005, 03:42 PM
Before I would say it's 100% territorial, you need to rule out any medical condition. The dog may also be having some sort of bladder infection. Especially if he just went outside and then does again when he comes in. If it continues, I would have the vet rule out any medical problem before jumping to other conclusions.

The breed is a beagle and he is neutered. While it's possible, I don't think it's likely that this is all just territorial issues. Dogs don't like to lay in their waste but perhaps he just can't hold it? If your cleaning it up all the time he has his favorite spot back to lay in and again has another accident. I'm just offering another side to look at. I've seen this before and after medical treatment the problem has gone away. I just don't like to label everything as a behavior problem when it may not be.

I hope you figure it out.

jiena_drakon
01-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Get some kennel fresh or some other safe type of disinfectant that will take out all the smell of what he already has done and what you can smell of the other dog that was there.. then go and get a yellow stake/puppy piddle post/pheromone stake from a pet store or online is cheeper and put that outside where you do want him to go.. and that should work .. if not keep me informed I have many other ideas for you I had the same problem with my Chihuahua.

as for one person suggested it being a medical problem you can easily tell if he is lifting his leg and peeing it is not .. if he is jumping up and happens to pee it is..

beagleamy
01-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the ideas. He has not done this in a week now, but last week he pooped in his crate water bowl 2x (while he was there when we were at work)! I think he is may be just crazy:)