PDA

View Full Version : breeds you would never own

lute
01-04-2005, 06:06 PM
what are the breed(s) you will never own?

mine are...
pugs
shar peis
chows
labs
golden retrievers
bedlington terriers
pomerainian(i know i have one,but he's actually my parent's dog.)
shelties
collies

nothing against the ones here,but i never see myself owning any of these breeds.

caseysmom
01-04-2005, 06:15 PM
I said I would never own a "foo foo" dog that has to be groomed and now I do so....never say never.

I love pit bulls but have avoided them so far because the first time somebody crossed the street on the other side I would get really mad.

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Right now I can't see myself owning any of the following breeds BUT I can't say never because I never thought I would end up getting a dachshund.

here's the list:

Jack Russels or Parson Russels
Labrador Retriever
Golden Retriever
Cane Corso
Irish Wolfhound
I don't see myself with any small breeds. The only ones I really like are Papillons and Dachshunds, I'm just more of a medium-large dog person:)

I do love all those breeds though, I just don't think I'll ever have one...

luvofallhorses
01-04-2005, 06:51 PM
I don't think I will ever own a pomeranian but you never know I love them they are so cute and fluffy but I know i will never own an Akita because that is the type of dog who attacked my buddy boy and I don't hate the breed just that certain dog who messed with my buddy boy I think he got pts because of his actions but it was a little boy's fault feeding my dog lunchmeat when he ran away in Nevada and his dog attacked buddy over it and he had to get 30 + stitches...it wasn't the dog's fault but I don't see me owning that type of dog in the future even though they are pretty.

Lexi_Lover
01-04-2005, 07:00 PM
I love all dog breeds! But I just can't see my self owning:

-Poodles
-Bedlington Terriers
-Airdale Terriers
-Irish Wolfhound
-Chow chow
-Shar Pei
-Bulldog
-Bull Mastiff

The list could go on...I love them all but I am picky about the ones I would own...I love Shepherds and Dobies and Greyhounds...I want to rescue a Doberman and a Greyhound! :D

wolfsoul
01-04-2005, 07:00 PM
There are lots of breeds I would never consider having. It would be much easier for me to name the breeds of dogs I would consider bringing into my life -- and easier to name the general characteristics that I wouldn't want the said breed to have. I'll list some of those:

I wouldn't want a breed that is overly ball/stick driven (The thud of a ball in my lap every five seconds would drive me insane). I wouldn't want a dog that loves absolutely everyone (I would rather have a good guard dog that gets along with people he knows or meets outside his territory). I wouldn't want a small breed or a giant breed (Small dogs are too fragile for me - I like a big dog that I can squeeze and roughhouse with, and I LOVE giant breeds but they don't live very long and don't suit dog sports very well). I would rather have a breed that is known for it's tolerance towards children (I have many younger cousins and a younger brother). And I would also like a breed known to be alright with small animals and cats. Even though I LOVE brushing a nice thick coat, I plan on being a groomer, and at the end of the day I won't want to come home after a hard day's work and groom another dog, so I'd rather the dog not have hair that needs to be brushed everyday. I would like a breed that is known for it's versatility, because I plan to do alot with my dog. And I wouldn't want to dog to be too lazy -- kind of the perfect mix -- lazy or energetic when needed. ;) I definatly want a dog that needs lots of exersise, but can sleep beside me at the end of the day without a murmer. Edit: I forgot to add athleticism. I plan to do lots of dog sports, and I want a dog that loves is fast and loves to run and jump. :)

I feel that everyone should make a list of the qualities they do or do not want when they are choosing a breed. The catahoula fits my list perfectly! :)

Jods
01-04-2005, 07:06 PM
Chihuahua
Jack Russels
Shitzu
Pugs
Pomeranian

I don't know what I will ever own or who will melt there way into my heart, but as of now I don't see myself owning any of these breeds even though they are beautiful, just not my type.

DogLover9501
01-04-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm not very picky about breeds, as long as I have a Rottweiler ;)

But I don't think I would own any small dogs(except maybe a pug :D), of course I love the 2 that I have, but would prefer larger dogs.

Originally posted by Orangutango
Cane Corso

Aren't they gorgeous? :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
01-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
Aren't they gorgeous? :D

They're extremely beautiful dogs! My reason for not wanting one though is mostly because of their personality, they just don't fit my lifestyle at all;)

DogLover9501
01-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Orangutango
They're extremely beautiful dogs! My reason for not wanting one though is mostly because of their personality, they just don't fit my lifestyle at all;)

I understand that, I was watching a show this morning about dogs with bad reputations and they were on the list somewhere and they sounded like great dogs, but only for really experienced people ;)

MariaM
01-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Bedlington Terrier
Clumber Spaniel
Chinese Crested Dog
Borzoi
Bulldog

I have nothing against the dogs, I just don't see myself owning any. But I may get a mutt with one of those breeds in it. Who knows?:p

Mandy1
01-04-2005, 07:42 PM
The only dog I can't see my self owning again is an Australian Shepard. It would bring back to many memories, and I don't want to replace Grace.

cali
01-04-2005, 07:48 PM
I would never own a Lab, a golden, a collie, a poodle, an aussie, or a borzoi.

K9soul
01-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Everyone is drawn to particular breeds and I think a better thread would have been "what breeds are you most drawn to" because "breeds you would never own" can feel like an insult to the various breeds listed. I'm often oversensitive to these types of things but I can't help but feel sad when I see breeds I have now, have had in the past, and loved and cherished with all my heart, listed repeatedly as dogs people "would never own."

That said, I guess that is how I feel. I am drawn to certain breeds but don't have any I would put on a "I would never own" list.

Kfamr
01-04-2005, 09:25 PM
I personally don't like the idea of completely crossing out not owning a dog because of their breed. I think every dog has the capability of being a wonderful companion no matter their breed.

I love dogs, and by saying dogs I mean all dogs. And i'd never pass up the chance of bringing a dog into my life just because of it's breed.

K9soul
01-04-2005, 09:38 PM
I didn't really think anyone meant any deliberate insult, I just think the wording "I would never own" can seem a bit strong or be taken as people saying they don't like the breed. It's all in the wording I guess. I wouldn't have thought much about it if it had been something like "what breeds most fit your lifestyle?" or something that just seemed a bit more positive :D. I wasn't trying to get onto anyone, I was just saying what I thought on the topic :)

wolfsoul
01-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Personally I think it's wisest to learn which breeds you feel would or would not live well with you. If you are not compatible with a certain breed, it would be incredibly irresponsible to go out and get that breed. It wouldn't be fair to dog or owner, and both would be miserable. I love all breeds of dogs too, but I wouldn't be able to cope with living with some dogs. One of the main reasons dogs are brought to shelters is because of compatability issues, and I certainly wouldn't take that road. :) Hope I didn't insult..

wolfsoul
01-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
I didn't really think anyone meant any deliberate insult, I just think the wording "I would never own" can seem a bit strong or be taken as people saying they don't like the breed. It's all in the wording I guess. I wouldn't have thought much about it if it had been something like "what breeds most fit your lifestyle?" or something that just seemed a bit more positive :D. I wasn't trying to get onto anyone, I was just saying what I thought on the topic :)
I agree, saying "would never own" does sound a little more negative. :) Hopefully not many people's feelings were hurt. It's not your fault flamepony!

DogLover9501
01-04-2005, 09:44 PM
I guess that is a different way to look at it.

But there are hundreds of dog breeds because of the fact that all of them are different, they all have different personalities, needs, they learn different and think different.

So it may be true that all dogs have the capability of being a wonderful companion, but some *people* do not do good with some breeds, and some people's lives are not good for some breeds.

This thread did not mean that we don't love all dogs, and it did not mean that we don't think ALL dogs can be wonderful companions, it simply meant which dogs we cannot see ourselves owning, or which dogs would never fit into our life styles.

Maybe the title could have been put differently ;)

luvofallhorses
01-04-2005, 09:50 PM
I didn't mean to put my story as in insult and this does sound a little negative how about what breed you could want to have in the future :D

Kfamr
01-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Yes, but every dog is different.

There could be incredibly lazy, non-versatile Catahoulas out there, who loves to play ball and play with sticks though.

There could be quiet and lazy Huskies.
There could be Labs who HATE to swim.
There could be a Greyhound that doesn't necessarily like to run.
(Just using these breeds as an example)

Just like there's Back people who don't wear FuBu or listen to Rap music, or doesn't like to play baskeball.

There's skinny Whitekids who wear all black, but don't necessarily listen to metal music.

Every dog is different, every person is different. Things can't be determined by breed or race. This is my opinion, of course, doesn't mean you're wrong or i'm right - I just don't like to completely outlaw getting a dog because of it's breed.
I prefer to meet the dog - and judge by the single dog alone - not the whole entire breed.

It's the same as people disliking Pit Bulls because of the media and what idiots do to the breed.

Now, the only way i'd approve of outlawing a dog because of it's breed, is grooming/coat and size. I'd completely understand someone who likes small dogs and not wanting a Great Dance, and vice versa.

Also, I completely agree with what Jessica said. I do believe we've had a thread like this before and all it lead to was people 'makeing fun' of other dog breeds.

luvofallhorses
01-04-2005, 09:52 PM
again I wasn't making fun of another breed it was just I couldn't see myself owning one and I would hate to discriminate a dog breed it's just like being racist in my honest opinion.

K9soul
01-04-2005, 09:57 PM
I guess to be honest, I read the title of the thread, saw GR listed several times in a row and knee-jerk reacted with my post. Feeling a bit down this evening. I guess I read it more as "I don't like that breed" instead of how it was intended. For the record though, I don't have sticks and tennis balls in my lap all the time, he only really grabs stuff when it's play time, and then he teases me with it, he doesn't really want to give it up :D

wolfsoul
01-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

There could be incredibly lazy, non-versatile Catahoulas out there, who loves to play ball and play with sticks though.

I completely agree, but I don't look into what is possible, but what is probable. While each dog might have it's distinct characteristics, in the end the breed itself also has it's distinct characterics which wins the majority. You do get plenty of labs that hate water, but in the end, MOST labs still love water. Relying on possibility rather than generalizing, in my opinion, is alot more dangerous than the oppisite.

I do have to disagree about comparing a breed to a race -- dog breeds have been bred to do soemthing and act a certain way for hundreds of years, and their instinct runs strong. A certain race of humans may have been brought up to do certain things for thousands of years as well, but in the end, humans have the ability to examine what they can and can not do and choose.

Kfamr
01-04-2005, 10:08 PM
My point is, I think it's wrong to completely disregard a breed as whole - Rather than just a certain dog of that breed.

I guess since there are so many people who dislike Pit Bulls as a whole, because of the certain dogs that idiot people make into killers, makes me a bit bitter when people chose not to bring a dog into their life based on their breed.

It's sort of like Breedism.

I'd rather someone meet the certain dog and then chose whether or not the dog is right for them. Dogs of the breeds that were listed could be some of the BEST dogs for the people that listed them, but they'll never get the chance to experience that if they "would never own" them. (Again, that doesn't include size and grooming necessities.)

There's so many dogs out there -- and each and everyone has a different personaility.

GoldenRetrLuver
01-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
Personally I think it's wisest to learn which breeds you feel would or would not live well with you. If you are not compatible with a certain breed, it would be incredibly irresponsible to go out and get that breed. It wouldn't be fair to dog or owner, and both would be miserable. I love all breeds of dogs too, but I wouldn't be able to cope with living with some dogs. One of the main reasons dogs are brought to shelters is because of compatability issues, and I certainly wouldn't take that road. :) Hope I didn't insult..

I agree!

Golden Retrievers were mentioned a couple of times, and although I could never see why someone would not want to own a Golden Retriever, I'm not really offended by it. But, I could see why some would take it offensively. I assume these people have done some sort of research on the breeds they say they would never really like to own, and that's why they have their reasonings for it, be it the breed's personality, grooming requirements, activity level, etc.

wolfsoul
01-04-2005, 10:15 PM
My point is, I think it's wrong to completely disregard a breed as whole - Rather than just a certain dog of that breed.
I completely understand what you mean -- but I kinda look at this from a different perspective. While I would generalize, and say "This breed isn't for me because blah blah," and while it may be true that most of the breed really IS like that, if I did meet a dog of that breed that didn't exhibit the typical characteristics, but rather characteristics that I like, then I would maybe get that dog. So I kind of think like, It's okay to generalize and say that you really wouldn't enjoy having that breed, but I might enjoy having a dog that is that breed if he didn't exhibit the regular characteristics of that breed. :)

DogLover9501
01-04-2005, 10:23 PM
My point was that alot of people have worked VERY hard to breed different things in and out of certain breeds.

No not EVERY lab is going to love water, but like someone else said, most of them will and that's what alot of people look at.

This is also the reason that different dog breeds are used for different things(bloodhounds are usually use for sniffing/searching, GSD's for police dogs..etc).

I just look at it that way, there are so many breeds because there is basically a breed for most families and most lifestyles, and alot of them come pretty close to how they are "suposed" to be.

Also nothing is "out of hand" at the moment, but I just want to say please lets keep this in a discussion mode :)

Logan
01-04-2005, 10:26 PM
I don't see myself with Terriers or other small dogs. But you know, if the timing was right and one was in need, I might change my mind! :o I love "big" dogs and my concentration is on Golden Retrievers, obviously, plus Labrador Retrievers and English Bulldogs............not that I am limited by those breeds..they are just my current choice.

Logan

cocker_luva
01-04-2005, 10:30 PM
pekingese
lab
border collie
jack russell terrier
sussex spaniel
clumber spaniel

DogLover9501
01-04-2005, 10:35 PM
I just want to say a couple other things and then I am going to bed.

Some of you are comparing this to racism and other things like that, but it's nothing like that.

Nobody is saying that some breeds are BETTER than others and nobody is saying that some breeds are WORSE than others.

It's simply which is better for THEM.

Also most of us have rescued dogs and hate to see them in shelters, however, alot of times dogs end up there because people end up with a breed that does not fit into their lifestyle or a breed that they cannot handle. Alot of times a little *research* could have prevented this.

Kfamr
01-04-2005, 10:45 PM
The only reason I compare it to racism is because people are saying they'd never own a dog because of it's breed. I never said anyone was saying which is better or worse.
Part of the definition of 'Racism' is: "The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability"

So it's like saying I don't want a Lab because it wouldn't do well in agility.
I don't want a Cocker Spaniel because it'd never be able to learn tricks and commands.
I don't want a Sheltie because it wouldn't be able to protect me.
I don't want a Chihuahua because it'd never be able to go on walks with me.
(Not that this is what I think, just examples)

It's like saying i'd never adopt a black child because a majority of black children listen to certain things, wear certain things, talk a certain way, eat certain things, enjoy certain things, etc. (Again, Not saying this is factual, but just an example)

flamepony12
01-04-2005, 10:49 PM
The only reason I compare it to racism is because people are saying they'd never own a dog because of it's breed. I never said anyone was saying which is better or worse.
Part of the definition of 'Racism' is: "The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability"

So it's like saying I don't want a Lab because it wouldn't do well in agility.
I don't want a Cocker Spaniel because it'd never be able to learn tricks and commands.
I don't want a Sheltie because it wouldn't be able to protect me.
I don't want a Chihuahua because it'd never be able to go on walks with me.
(Not that this is what I think, just examples)

It's like saying i'd never adopt a black child because a majority of black children listen to certain things, wear certain things, talk a certain way, eat certain things, enjoy certain things, etc. (Again, Not saying this is factual, but just an example)

I agree with you about the racism thing. But then again, I don't think that anyone actually meant it like that. I don't think anyone was actually thinking, "I wouldn't like a lab because it wouldn't do agility", but rather " I wouldn't like a lab because I live in an apartement and I think a lab is too big."
Just my opinion.

Kfamr
01-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Yep, and like I said, I completely understand if there is something with the size or grooming necessities of a dog.

Tiah
01-04-2005, 10:53 PM
It's like: "You talk the talk, but don't walk the walk."

We criticize people for not researching the breed etc before they go get a puppy then end up taking it to a shelter. BUT when people research a breed and decide that they just would rather get a dog with more similar characteristics to what they want....it's like they get criticized for saying they would rather not own that breed. Personally, I would much rather have some one say they don't want to own a certain breed, then go out and get that dog and realize it's not what they want, and it ends up in a shelter.

Twisterdog
01-04-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
My point was that alot of people have worked VERY hard to breed different things in and out of certain breeds.

No not EVERY lab is going to love water, but like someone else said, most of them will and that's what alot of people look at.

This is also the reason that different dog breeds are used for different things(bloodhounds are usually use for sniffing/searching, GSD's for police dogs..etc).

I just look at it that way, there are so many breeds because there is basically a breed for most families and most lifestyles, and alot of them come pretty close to how they are "suposed" to be.

That is exactly right.

No, not EVERY dog in a certain breed displays those characteristics, but indeed, the vast majority of them do. There are certainly calm, mellow Jack/Parson Russell terriers ... but if you are specifcally looking for a calm, mellow dog to own, you should NOT buy a JRT/PRT just HOPING that is might grow up to be the one in a hundred that isn't energetic and excitable. That's foolish, and that is how dogs wind up at shelters and dog pounds.

I will never own a dog that slobbers a lot. Sorry, I KNOW they are probably the sweetest things ever, but all that drool simply makes my stomach turn. So ... should I go out and buy a bloodhound puppy, HOPING that is isn't as slobbery as 99% of it's breed? NO. I should ... and do ... choose breeds that have dry mouths. Common sense ... not "breedism".

There is NOTHING wrong with saying a certain breed doesn't fit your lifestyle, space, time or preference. What IS very wrong, however, is getting a dog that doesn't suit your life, and not loving and/or keeping the dog. It is MUCH better by far to know what you want, what you don't want, and get a dog according to those standards. You are happy, the dog is happy.

Tiah
01-04-2005, 11:22 PM

And that is just about why most of the huskies are in shelters. At least the Huskies in my town shelter. It's like a person who really loves the looks of a Husky. And, hopefully, they are wishing their new husky puppy just might be that one-in-a-million chance that HE is the one that is laid back. But, oh no! he isn't, so off to the shelter he goes, because they can't simply handle him.

It's just not a good excuse to be mad about people saying they would rather not own a certain breed.

Kfamr
01-04-2005, 11:30 PM
You guys AREN'T understanding what I'm saying, obviously, so I just won't say anything more after this post, as i've explained myself numerous times.

And to clarify things once again: My opinion is that people should get to know the certain DOG as a dog itself. Not by it's breed. If the dog has characteristics you dislike, then it's not one for you.

Yes, I do like when people research a breed they would like to get, but to just completely disregard a whole breed, is something I don't like. Who knows if you think you'd never own a German Shepherd, and one day you find a stray wandering, you keep it - and it becomes the dog of a lifetime.

Maybe that helps a bit with understanding what i've been trying to say, maybe not, but I do wish people could see what i'm saying.

And Tiah, that was just an example. I never said it was something that would happen, I just pulled random breeds out of my head and used things people said they would/wouldn't want in a dog.

And please don't quote me and twist my words, as I don't feel like being a part of this conversation anymore. (No, I'm not saying anyone twisted my words, but I have a feeling it's going to happen.)

bckrazy
01-05-2005, 01:07 AM
I personally would never cross out owning any dog, all breeds of dogs are awesome in my opinion. You never know what can happen, as Kay said, a dog that you wouldn't have thought to own before might turn up on your doorstep and you'd fall in love with them.

Before I got Gonzo, I was dead-set on getting a German Shepherd from a breeder in Chico. We had Border Collies before, and I loved them, but I thought that BC's were too neurotic and crazy for me. I ended up with Gonzo, and I'm really glad I adopted him instead.. he is very sweet and not too high energy, and his size is perfect.

ParNone
01-05-2005, 07:53 AM
If I was getting an adult dog, I'd go with Kfamr's theory, but for puppies, I'd stick with definite breeds. There are breeds that just don't fit my lifestyle and for my happiness and most importantly theirs, I wouldn't choose them. And it would be for very specific breed traits. Too high energy/high working intensity... High Grooming Maintenance... Big Droolers... Excessive guarding instinct... Cold Climate breeds... And for right now, I don't want a total couch potato dog either, maybe later when I'm old and grey. But right now, I want a dog that can do agility, fetch, hike. Basically a dog that enjoys playing. And there's nothing wrong with that. We're all choosy about picking a mate that we love and we're compatible with, why wouldn't we be picky about choosing a dog companion to share our lives with for the next 15 years.

Par...

K9soul
01-05-2005, 08:24 AM
I think both sides have points :). I think Par put it pretty well too, Par you so often put into words what I'm really thinking ;).

Again I'm sorry for my initial reaction last night, I was tired out, sad, and posted before thinking things over.

That said, I think there are people who pick the breeds they would/would not own by research and lifestyle matching, but some pick them purely from looks/stereotypes. It can go both ways. Someone might say "I would never own a poodle but I would own a shepherd" when it is based purely off stereotypes and looks, when in reality a poodle may match their lifestyle amazingly well. Sometimes uneducated people might want a "cool" dog like a rottie or doberman when it doesn't fit their lifestyle at all. I think when a listing like this gets started, some people base their lists off of extensive research and personal experience, but is every person who makes a list of breeds basing it purely off their knowledge and research of the breed? I guess that is not for me to judge. I definitely think some are obviously well thought out but I can't be sure about all. Wolfsoul definitely listed well thought out observations in her post and I didn't get the feeling of bias. I know one poster has stated a few times in the past they simply dislike some breeds.

But even if a few people state flat out they don't like one breed or another, it certainly isn't something I should get offended or upset at or take personally. It doesn't mean anyone here would leave a dog of that breed hurt and suffering when it needed help.

pipersmom
01-05-2005, 08:59 AM
I personally don't like the idea of completely crossing out not owning a dog because of their breed. I think every dog has the capability of being a wonderful companion no matter their breed.

I love dogs, and by saying dogs I mean all dogs. And i'd never pass up the chance of bringing a dog into my life just because of it's breed.

Well said! I agree.

Miranda_Rae
01-05-2005, 10:56 AM

I have to agree with this. Because I have a GSP who are VERY hyper, and I have one that is calm, so its not always the breed. It can be that one dog, as each dog is different like Kay said. Its all in the training and how they are raise, I think. :) And some has to do with their breeding. ;) But I taught Heidi that being hyper wasn't exceptable. Yeah, she can be happy and stuff, but jumping up on people, mauling them when they walk in the door is a NO-NO!!

There are some dogs that I couldn't see owning in the future, but you never know. I basically can't see myself owning them cause they just don't seem to fit my lifestyle, BUT that doesn't mean that I wouldn't open my heart to a dog of that breed if needed. Plus I might be wrong and that breed would fit my lifestyle. :)

ParNone did put it nicely though, and so did Twisterdog. Each breed has characteristics. Those are what define them as that breed. Those are the breed "standard", "personality" of the MAJORITY of the breed. You have to go by what the breeds profile is.

DogLover9501
01-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
ParNone did put it nicely though, and so did Twisterdog. Each breed has characteristics. Those are what define them as that breed. Those are the breed "standard", "personality" of the MAJORITY of the breed. You have to go by what the breeds profile is.

Exactly!

What if a family goes to the shelter and meets a Lab that is very calm and quiet..etc, and that's what they want. But they bring it home and in a few days it's hyper and very active(like most labs)??
It's pretty obvious where this lab would end up, and it's more common sense to pick a breed that is *usually* less active.

I mean, if I met Jasper at 8 weeks old with no research, he was a PERFECT puppy, quiet, slept through the night, didn't chew things up, OF COURSE I would have taken him.
But as he grew things got very difficult, and if I didn't do research for YEARS before, I would have been in over my head, if I judged him by my first time meeting him.

Also you can't compare dog breeds to children and people, people are not BRED for certain things, yes some people stereotype certain races and religion, but that's something completely different.

All these dog breeds were BRED to be certain ways, to do certain things..etc, so that if someone doesn't like drool, they shouldn't get a Saint Bernard and hope it's one that doesn't drool(because all dogs are different), and if someone doesn't like a hyper dog they shouldn't get a border collie or a boxer or something like that, hoping that it'll be one of the calm ones.

Thats why people cross out an ENTIRE breed as a whole, because they don't want a dog like the breed standard and maybe they couldn't handle a dog like the breed standard, so why take a chance? The dog would end up in a shelter.

Also Kay, nobody is saying that you picked out your dogs wrong or anything along those lines(I know you didn't say anyone was, but Im just saying). But you are pretty good with training and all of that, so you could probably handle different things that come up with alot of different breeds.

However, alot of people can't, and that's why it's best to stick to researching and usually what's in the breed standard is *mostly* what you get.

lute
01-05-2005, 12:18 PM
sorry i created a topic that started something:(

wolf_Q
01-05-2005, 01:43 PM
I base getting a dog on their personality, grooming requirements, size, etc. You can somewhat judge what a dog of a certain breed will be like, but, as others have said, it's not always the case. Each dog is unique! However the known characteristics of the breed should always be taken into consideration.

I will just say that it's not likely I will ever get a dog that needs a haircut. Nor will I get a dog that has excessively thick and long fur.

It's not likely that I would get an extremely large/giant breed or an extremely small breed.

It's most likely I will only get more siberian huskies ;) but hey I'm not crossing out all other breeds, you never know!

anna_66
01-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Perfect Amyhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/Smileys/clap.gif
Not hurting any feelings and saying exactly what you mean. Kudos to you:D

animal_rescue
01-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I don't want very active dogs that are like RUN RUN RUN RUNNNNN! Just to demanding for me, I don't mind at all size, drooling problem, or good guard dog quality.

Twisterdog
01-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by lute
sorry i created a topic that started something:(

Do not be sorry. You didn't "start something" ... you opened up an important point for discussion. There is NOTHING wrong with that.

lute
01-05-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Do not be sorry. You didn't "start something" ... you opened up an important point for discussion. There is NOTHING wrong with that.
thanks. i was worried.:D

binka_nugget
01-05-2005, 08:40 PM
I remember saying that I didn't see myself getting a poodle or small dog. And now, I'd love to have a Poodle or Papillon.

I'd prefer to have a breed that lives a fairly long life so I don't think I'd be getting a Bernese or a giant dog anytime soon. I wouldn't be able to deal with the heartache after only 8 or so years.

I'd like most of my dogs to be known for their intelligence and versatility (gsd, borders, shelties, collies, etc). The only reason is because I want to be heavily involved in flyball, agility, and obedience. I wouldn't mind having an "independant" dog like an Afghan though.. but for the most part, I'm drawn to versatile breeds.

DogLover9501
01-05-2005, 08:49 PM

Ditto :eek: We think alike!

This didn't turn into anything, everyone is just stating opinions and most people are looking at both sides :)

Shelteez2
01-05-2005, 08:58 PM

Once again... I concur!

I don't see anything wrong with a good healthy discussion. Most people are looking openly at both sides. :D

I personally am glad when people state that they don't want a sheltie. I don't want everyone everywhere to own one. They are not for everyone. Just like other breeds.

And just because I list a breed I don't want to own, doesn't mean that I would pass up on a dog for only that reason. That's just silly. I don't think anyone who's posted here would do that.
Sometimes we have to not take things so literally, and read between the lines a little. :)

sammy101
01-05-2005, 09:27 PM
i LOVE all breeds!colour,size,shape,with hair or almost none,i love all dogs.
Im a big dog person,im a big sucker for large-giant dogs.(newfoundlanders,Danes,Rottweilers,etc)i love all the large and giant breeds.but i cant see myself owning small dogs,like chi's,poodles,etc.I love them,but again i love the large-giant breeds:D

Luna
01-05-2005, 10:24 PM
I like all dogs. I've never had a breed before, we have always rescued a dog from the humain society, or had a dog just show up at our door. (I've been told that a "mutt" usually has fewer problems.)

It really depends on your life style. If you're in an appartment, a large or very active dog is probably not a good idea. If we could always get what we want, I would have a back yard full of dog.:rolleyes: