PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Problems!

animal_rescue
01-03-2005, 06:09 PM
All our cats are fixed, most of them have been for a very long time.
We have a problem though, our big male, Colin, keeps spraying! Also my mom thinks that Jenny is as well, but we ahve cought Colin a couple of times. Well, my mom wants to get rid of all the cats except Colin(she thinks that, that will stop the spraying) I personally don't think that is fair at all! I love all the cats, they were all rescues too. Colin though is my mom's cat and she's got this thing that was she says goes and there is know comprimising with her! If I could I would leave with the four other cats, but I can't I have 3 more years until I can move out. How can I make Colin stop spraying so the others can stay? It's not fair that they have to pay for what he's doing because he's the favorite of the house!

rg_girlca
01-03-2005, 06:27 PM
I'm sorry I have no advice but I know that others will.

I'm just so sorry that your mother feels she has to get rid of the other cats. I don't think this is fair to you.

I hope whatever other solutions other can give you, that your mother will take them into consideration.

Good luck

Grace
01-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Try some Feliway - it worked for me when Mouse was spraying.

catnapper
01-03-2005, 07:44 PM
First, is he fixed? Most often, un-neutered male cats spray to mark their territory. Second, Is this a health issue or behavioral issue? Are you SURE its not health? Most often when a cat sorays, its because they have a serious urinary tract infection, or in males they have crystals formed that makes it hard for them to pee. They associate the pain of peeing with their box and spray outside the box.

If its behavioral - is he stressed for any reason? Are the cats fighting? Did you have any changes withing the home lately? If he's spraying over stress, the Feliway might work for you.

It could also be that he is a lot fussier about the cleanlinesso fhis box than the others. Rule of thumb is this: One box per cat, plus one. So if you have three cats, you'll need four boxes. Five cats would need 6 boxes. Spread the boxes in various locations throughout your home... one in the bathroom, one in a closet, one in a bedroom, etc. You'd be surprised where you can hide a litterbox. I have 4 cats, 4 boxes (but I am also home fulltime and can scoop as soon as something hits the litter, so its not as important as a home where the humans are out 9 or 10 hours a day.)

catmandu
01-04-2005, 08:59 AM
Sam,the Siamese,who was fixed,sprays once,in a while,notas often,as he used to do,and I hope,that the DFeliway,works,for you,as it has for me!

catfamily
01-04-2005, 02:33 PM
I would also first check to see if he has Urinary Trac Infection.
Then if not...they usually stop after getting use to one another.Not only is it not fair to you but it isn't fair to the other cats.I bet they love you very much and there is a bond there just like your mom has with Colin.Unless she really doesn't care about yours or their feelings than I have no more advise for you.Except try to move out quicker.I'm sorry you have to go through this.

animal_rescue
01-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by catnapper
First, is he fixed? yes he's been fixed for about 11-12 years now. The only thing I could think of that's bothering him is that sometimes we get rescues that we foster. Right now we feed a stray, that we brought in a couple of times during the really bad snow storms here(everytime Colin was upstairs and the stray we kept in the bathroom locked up and we cleaned the bathroom after we let him out again) I think it might the the litterbox thing(I'll tell my mom to get some more along with the feliway) since we only have 3 litterboxes. As for the sickness, he went to the vet a couple of weeks ago and the vet said he was very healthy(the spraying was going on before he went to the vet). The cat we've had here for the shortest period of time is Max and he came in August.

catnapper
01-04-2005, 04:40 PM
The stray from outside could be enough to stress him out and cause the spraying. One thing about fostering, is my Pouncer gets stressed with the fosters. I'd love to foster new kittens once one leaves, but I usually have to take a few weeks break in between fosters because Pouncer gets hissy and growly. The rescue told me to listen to his signs of stress because if they had done the same with some of their own cats, they wouldn't have the spraying they have now. Cats are amazingly senstive and the littlest things can stress them out. Good luck with the Feliway and adding a 4th litterbox! :)