PDA

View Full Version : Finally the owner gets the blame

Pit Chick
01-03-2005, 12:20 PM
Dog owner sentenced
Woman gets 6 years in attack by pit bulls that killed neighbor
By John Aguilar

KIOWA - The owner of three pit bulls that turned into "little tanks" and mauled a woman to death was sentenced to six years in prison Wednesday.

Despite pleas from one of her five children "not to take my mom away," Jacqueline McCuen, 33, was ordered to report to prison the day after Christmas.

The sentence, which was the maximum allowed under a plea arrangement, came after the judge heard chilling accounts of the animals' rampage.

McCuen and her boyfriend, William Gladney, were charged in the death of Jennifer Brooke, 40, who was killed Nov. 30, 2003, by pit bulls belonging to the couple while tending horses on her nearby property.

Brooke's husband, Bjorn Osmunsen, and a neighbor, Cliff Baker, were injured by the dogs but managed to escape.

The animals were finally subdued when Baker shot the male dog. His 16-year-old son already had shot the two female pit bulls while Baker was trapped in the back of his truck trying to stay out of range of the dogs' snapping jaws.

The dogs were killed by Elbert County deputies.

The prosecution accused McCuen and Gladney, who will likely be tried next month, of not adequately maintaining the fence that was supposed to keep their dogs on their property.

Deputy District Attorney Jason Siers described McCuen's pit bulls as "machines that would not stop" and "little tanks that would not have had any problems pushing through the fence."

Chief Deputy District Attorney John Topolnicki said together the three dogs weighed nearly 230 pounds. He said he'd never seen a killing as gruesome as Brooke's in his 34 years as a prosecutor.

"It's incredible how much gunfire it took to bring these dogs down and dispatch them into death," he said.

The prosecutors said McCuen was keenly aware that her dogs were aggressive and cited several instances leading up to Brooke's death when the dogs had either bitten or threatened neighbors, most notably Diana Nichols, who was attacked by two of McCuen's pit bulls in April 2003 while walking by on the street.

A weeping McCuen apologized to the victims and their families and asked for forgiveness, saying she never suspected that her dogs were aggressive.

Nine-year-old Chelsea McCuen made an emotional appeal to the judge not to "take my mom away" and ran from the courtroom crying on several occasions.

McCuen's lawyer, Michael Andre, told the court that his client had a troubled past that included being molested as a child and having a mother who didn't support her. He asked for "compassion, reconciliation and forgiveness."

But District Judge Angela Arkin said McCuen's past criminal record convinced her that McCuen deserved the maximum sentence called for in her plea agreement.

Arkin also said she didn't believe McCuen wasn't aware that her dogs would attack people.

"These attacks were entirely foreseeable," the judge said.

She ordered McCuen to surrender to the Elbert County Sheriff's Office on Dec. 26.

Brooke's sister, Brenda Kenney, urged the judge to use the incident as an example to other dog owners.

"The message to dog owners that needs to be sent out is that they must be responsible," she said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6722465/

RICHARD
01-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Pit Chick

McCuen's lawyer, Michael Andre, told the court that his client had a troubled past that included being molested as a child and having a mother who didn't support her. He asked for "compassion, reconciliation and forgiveness."

What???

Michael forgot to mention Twinkies and her father....:rolleyes: :confused: :eek: :mad:

Pit Chick
01-03-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm sure her past has some kind of relavence to owning and allowing aggressive dogs to run loose. :rolleyes:

Though I do have to commend the victim's sister for blaming the owner, not the dogs.

moosmom
01-03-2005, 03:46 PM

:confused: :confused: :confused:

What the hell does THAT have to do with his dogs biting his neighbor???

I just don't see the relevance.

davidpizzica
01-03-2005, 04:04 PM
How the heck could she say that her dogs weren't aggressive?? She had two huge pit bulls! It's inbred in them to be aggressive. And this is also the second time that they have attacked someone. She didn't have any compassion on that poor victim.

Tonya
01-03-2005, 04:14 PM
I am very happy to hear that. Pet owners should be responsible for their animal's actions.

Pit Chick
01-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by david p
How the heck could she say that her dogs weren't aggressive?? She had two huge pit bulls! It's inbred in them to be aggressive. And this is also the second time that they have attacked someone. She didn't have any compassion on that poor victim.

Whoa, slow your role. The fact that the dogs were Pit Bulls has nothing to do with this. Yes, there are those individual dogs in EVERY breed that are bred, raised, trained, and/or abused to be aggressive, but Pit Bulls as a whole are not "aggressive". Please educate yourself about Pit Bulls before you make statements like that. It's the uneducated public that has never owned a Pit Bull who are always the first to make such claims as yours when the only thing you know about the breed is what you hear through rumors and the hyped up news stories. Bad dogs have bad owners and this story is a prime example of that.

Jadapit
01-03-2005, 04:56 PM
That whole thing happened here in Colorado. It was very sad but the dogs had bad owners and your post was very well stated pit chick!!:)

GoldenRetrLuver
01-03-2005, 07:03 PM

Wow. I don't even know what to say. I'm speechless. :( PLEASE educate yourself on the breed before you say something as wrong as this. You have NO idea what you're saying.

I agree with Pit Chick, 100%.

Kfamr
01-03-2005, 07:47 PM
She had two huge pit bulls! It's inbred in them to be aggressive.

Evidently you know absolutely NOTHING of this breed. Please do not say such ignorant words, especially on this forum where many, including myself, favor this wonderful animal - and many who own this breed of dog.

Amber
01-03-2005, 08:05 PM

Please, like others said. YOU need to educate yourself. You have no clue about this breed, and I wouldn't be saying such words when you know nothing about it. obviously anyways..

KYS
01-03-2005, 08:25 PM
I feel sadness for everyone involved.

I feel for the victems family and I also feel
for the children of the mother who will now be going
to jail.

I also feel for certain breed of dogs,
this just fuels the fire for breed bands.
(which will never work)

If this sentencing makes all dog owners more
carefull and responsible then this womans death
will not be in vein. :(

Very sad situation for all.

Any dog no matter what breed has the
potential to cause harm.

mina'smomma
01-04-2005, 07:20 AM

Not all pitbulls are aggressive david p. I had a purebred for 12 years, and she was not one bit aggressive. We raised her to be a loving family dog. Now don't get me wrong if you harmed a member of our family she would warn you with a growl, but then again all dogs protect their owners. The only reason I still don't have her is because she was hit by a car when I was 16, and died.

davidpizzica
01-04-2005, 10:46 AM
I want to apologize to everyone on this thread. My remarks were made in haste and come from misinformation. I shouldn't have made them. And again I'm sorry.

RICHARD
01-04-2005, 11:12 AM
I want to apologize to everyone on this thread. My remarks were made in haste and come from misinformation. I shouldn't have made them. And again I'm sorry.

See, It's the owners that are dangerous.
:eek:

Pit Chick
01-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
See, It's the owners that are dangerous.
:eek:

"grrrr baby, very grrrr" :p

Good dog, beware of owner!

Cheshirekatt
01-08-2005, 01:02 AM

Thank you for your gracious apology. I'm sure there are several members of this board that would just love to chat your ear off about their *vicious* pitty babies. ;)