PDA

View Full Version : Am I feeding him enough?

wolfsoul
01-02-2005, 08:18 PM
My mom has it in her head that I'm starving Caleb, even though he is at a good weight. He isn't skin and bones, he has a nice layer of fat.

He is seven months old and an inactive indoor cat (he sleeps alot lol). The breeds in him that we know of are siamese, himalayan, and manx. He is 8.9 pounds. In the morning I give him 1/4 cup of Healthwise (513 calories per cup which is definatly higher than alot of foods), and one medallion of Nature's Link Prairie raw lamb at night, and the bag says that a cat or dog between 10 and 19 pounds should get atleast two. Since he is under, I feed him one. Every now and then I will also give him a scoop of yogurt, canned food, olive oil, or fresh parsley.

Do I feed him enough?

Laura's Babies
01-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Does he act like he is starving to death?? He seems to be a perfect weight to me but I am no expert. I give mine 1/4 cup Science diet in the morning and 1/4 cup at night...

wolfsoul
01-02-2005, 08:32 PM
He doesn't act like he is hungry unless it's around his meal time, but he will definatly go out of his way to eat any piece of food he finds. He has a real counter-surfing problem. Any food we leave out is instantly gone.

Shelteez2
01-02-2005, 10:58 PM
I don't think it's too little. If he's at the proper weight then I don't think you need to worry.
It's so much harder to get weight off a cat than a dog. My cat Suki is overweight and nothing we do makes her lose any.

krazyaboutkatz
01-03-2005, 12:25 AM
Caleb sure looks like he's in great shape to me.:) Cats especially indoor cats, really don't need to be fed as much as people think. I seem to recall that to maintain their weight, they only need about 300 calories a day. I do know that high energy cats like Abys will need more calories though.
I used to free feed mine but now I can't because Sky and Cirrus will eat everything in sight. I now feed them 2 times a day and they get about 1/2-3/4 cup of dry food a day. Storm and Sunny also get some wet food mixed in with their dry food. So far they've been maintaining their weights and Cirrus has slimmed down too.:)

catmandu
01-03-2005, 11:14 AM
Beleive me paease,on one thing,and that if Caleb,is hungry,he wil let you know,and if he is inactive,then you dont want him,to over eat,which sadly,is all too common,with a lot of Cats!