PDA

View Full Version : What does a foster do?

Palomino21
01-02-2005, 01:59 PM
I have contacted a local St. Bernard rescue center to see if they had any volunteer opportunities. They contacted me back saying they need more fosters. I know that a foster cares for the animals until they are able to find homes. What I want to know is do you pay for all the food, vet bills, equipment?

Annie

aly
01-02-2005, 02:01 PM
It depends on the rescue group or shelter you are fostering for. Most of the time, the group will pay vet bills and provide you with a crate or other expensive things. Sometimes they ask that you buy food, but sometimes they provide that also. I have to pay all bills for my fosters though because I foster for shelters that don't help.

It'd probably be best to contact the group again and ask that they give you specifics of what they provide and what is expected of you (training, etc). Good luck!

robinh
01-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I agree with Aly. Each group has a different set of rules, so it's a good idea to contact the group for their guidelines.

I foster for United Yorkie Rescue. They pay vet bills, special dietary requirements (i.e.prescription food), necessary meds, and first time grooming expenses. The rest is up to the foster home.