PDA

View Full Version : Kong Stuffing Recipes

bckrazy
01-01-2005, 11:49 PM
I was wondering what everyone's (or, their dogs) favorite kong stuffing recipes are? The recipes at kongcompany.com (http://www.kongcompany.com) are really good, Gonzo approves of most of them ;). Gonzo really likes the Banana Rama one, but I altered it a little...

Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich

* 1 kong (this is used in a large Kong)
* 1 banana
* 1-2 tablespoons peanut butter (natural is best)
* 3 milkbones

Directions: Mush up banana in a bowl. Add peanut butter (you can add more or less) and mix together well. Crumble milkbones into small chunks and add to the peanut butter-banana mixture. First, seal the small hole in the Kong with a dab of peanut butter. With a spoon, stuff the yummy mixture into your dog's Kong. Freeze for 2 hours or serve as it is, if your dog likes bananas or peanut butter he will probably love this :)

bckrazy
01-02-2005, 09:05 PM
none? :( that sucks

Kfamr
01-02-2005, 09:13 PM
I haven't tried any home-made stuffings but this is great because I just ran out of Kong Stuff'n that I bought, and it's expensive (for cheap ol me. :p ) And Kiara LOVES her kong that Amy gave her. I give it to her everytime we leave her at home.

Before I ran out of stuff'n I'd fill the kong up and then put a large milkbone in it.:)

cyber-sibes
01-02-2005, 11:26 PM
I've pretty much just used straight peanut butter, but this sounds yummy! Will try it and let you know what Star and Sherman think.

wolf_Q
01-02-2005, 11:32 PM
I bet Nebo would like that, I'll have to try it. He LOVES his kong! Usually I just put a big milkbone in then squeeze some PB Kong Stuff'n. Sometimes I'll put chicken jerky strips on either side of the milkbone too to make it hard to get out.

Shelteez2
01-02-2005, 11:54 PM
I've never made any of the recipes from the Kong site, some don't look too healthy though (depending on the size of the kong and how much you'd need to fill it).
Also Emily doesn't like peanut butter. What I do is plug the hole with a cit of cheese, put kibble and frozen veggies in it, fill with water and freeze.

I've also never trusted those Kong Stuff'n things you can buy at the pet store. If you just read the ingredients.....*yuck* LOL

cali
01-02-2005, 11:55 PM
I just kind of make up fillings lol PB or cheez whiz or both, with plain yogurt, and treats. or sometimes I will roll baby carrots or apple in olive oil and stuff the kong with it, and sometimes hotdogs jamed in it. just things like that, and sometimes I freeze it and sometimes I dont. but I tend to be rather creative when suffing kongs because my dogs have them cleaned out in minuts, or if its not something really packed in then it takes them all of 60 seconds to unstuff it. I just look around add cereal, and whatever I find that will make it tasty and difficult. I have never bought kong stuffin, I dont really see the point lol

wolfsoul
01-03-2005, 12:30 AM
I also don't like the ingredients of Kong Stuff'n. I like to fill with peanut butter or cream cheese (I like cream cheese best because of the good bacteria) and then kibble, veggies, or cereal.

cubby31682
01-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Gracie will love your recipes. I just have one question. I have a large KONG not the ball one, so should I still fill it all the way up with what ever I put in there?

bckrazy
01-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by cubby31682
Gracie will love your recipes. I just have one question. I have a large KONG not the ball one, so should I still fill it all the way up with what ever I put in there?

yeah, Gonzo has a large Kong too, which is the one that I usually stuff. You can fill it up all the way, just make sure to count it as a meal or 1/2 meal, depending on what you put in there. Gonzo gets his breakfast in his Kong whenever I leave in the morning, I pour in his kibble with a little warm water and pieces of cheese or meat, and sometimes I freeze it for an extra challenge :) Gracie would probably like that

bckrazy
01-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I haven't tried any home-made stuffings but this is great because I just ran out of Kong Stuff'n that I bought, and it's expensive (for cheap ol me. :p ) And Kiara LOVES her kong that Amy gave her. I give it to her everytime we leave her at home.

Before I ran out of stuff'n I'd fill the kong up and then put a large milkbone in it.:)

I know! stuff'n is SO expensive! I just use his regular toothpaste for his dental Kongs, and natural peanut butter. It is a lot harder to get in than the squirtable containers, but oh well ;)

bckrazy
01-03-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
I've never made any of the recipes from the Kong site, some don't look too healthy though (depending on the size of the kong and how much you'd need to fill it).
Also Emily doesn't like peanut butter. What I do is plug the hole with a cit of cheese, put kibble and frozen veggies in it, fill with water and freeze.

Really? I didn't think they were too bad, as long as some of them aren't given more than once a week, and they're used as a substitute meal. ;) adding the veggies is a good idea, I've never really tried much except for baby carrots with Gonzo