PDA

View Full Version : i have a questiuon about wet tail

star of light
12-31-2004, 09:08 PM
well what is wet tail and can i see some pictures on it?

karens guinea pig kalena is loseing her fur and has alot of dry itchy spots i have seen it. it looks really bad she asked me to ask you guys if you have pictures to see if kalena has that.

star of light
12-31-2004, 09:23 PM
can you please give me information i know that you might not like karen but please..kalena might die if she doesnt get a vet treatment.......can you please give me information

Kater
12-31-2004, 09:28 PM
This sounds more like an allergy or some sort of parasite than "wet tail" to me. The major symptom of "wet tail" would be diarrhea/loose stools as a result of an intestinal bacterial infection. I do not have much experience with piggies so I hope someone else can chime in.

Are there any other symptoms? How long has this been going on?

It sounds to me like this piggie should be taken to the vet! Kalena should also be separated from any other piggies!

chrissycat21
12-31-2004, 09:44 PM
Don't hamsters only get wet tail?

But it sounds like Kalena might have mites or some other parasite. Maybe even lice? The best thing would to be to take Kalena to the vet.

Hope she gets better soon!

star of light
12-31-2004, 11:12 PM
well she has had it for a month or two and she has lost fur in some area then when you touch it its really bumppy and dry.

kalena is always itching her back where its dry almost everytime i see her at karens house.

karen is soo worried about kalena and so am i.

chrissycat21
12-31-2004, 11:14 PM
It sounds like a skin parasite. Take her to the vet, they will know what to do!

star of light
12-31-2004, 11:22 PM
how much are guinea pig visits to the vet?

well karen had got a bigger cage for her guineas and she doesnt clean it every week because she uses all of a 50 litter bag that costs 20 buck a pop.....maybe it can be that?

chrissycat21
12-31-2004, 11:28 PM
You need to clean their cage ATLEASt once a week. What type of litter is she using? Cedar could irritate the skin, and pine might, too.

Vet costs vary from place to place.

Make sure its a vet experienced with guinea pigs!

star of light
12-31-2004, 11:30 PM
umm... i am not sure ill see later ill call her up

chrissycat21
12-31-2004, 11:35 PM
Ok. :)

Tell her to try to find a bedding like Yesterday's News, its made of recycled news papers and really works! Its also pretty cheap!

star of light
01-01-2005, 12:51 AM
umm she uses the brand carefresh petbedding but its not ceedar or wood........i gave her the info on the computer and she is going to clean the cage and give them veggies and fruits everyday.

cali
01-01-2005, 01:21 AM
hmm carefresh is an exellent bedding(recycled newpaper, same as yesterdays news) I agree she should go to a guinea pig savvy vet and get it checked out, I have had piggies loose hair before, but their skin was always entirly healthy, must be a skin parisite or something