PDA

View Full Version : cat hair! vacuums and air cleaners

so many cats so little room
12-30-2004, 02:38 PM
there was a thread about vacuums, over a year ago, not the hoover vacuum stories, but one about which vacuum that members liked best, which worked the best etc. I did a search but can't find it...does anyone remember the thread or can you tell me how to find it?

I have been wanting a new vaccum but couldn't afford it, well now I have to because my old one finally "died". I am going to where they will demonstrate them but I want to know what other peope who have cats think, what is the best vac, and do any of you have those air cleaners, the ones that are suposed to suck in dander and animal hair? the good ones can cost around $300. I think, yikes. I have so much hair flying around my house its hard to keep it from getting everywhere!:eek:

robinh
12-30-2004, 02:41 PM
I just bought a Dyson - and I LOVE IT!! My Carly is a shedding machine and we live on a dirt road. The combination is awful. This vacuum sucks up dust, dog hair, people hair, etc. Can't say enough nice about it.

12-30-2004, 03:03 PM
thanks, I have seen that advertised.

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-30-2004, 03:21 PM
We have a central vacuum cleaner. It is so easy! The mototr is in the garage, and wherever you connect the brush (I cannot find correct word:o ) it starts working!

12-30-2004, 03:24 PM
thanks... any ideas on what brand has the best suction power?

Randi
12-30-2004, 03:25 PM
Here's a link to one of the old threads:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=10745&highlight=vacuum

moosmom
12-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Do NOT buy any vacuum made by Oreck! It doesn't clean in the corners and the suction is pretty poor. I'd love to try a Dyson. Although I've heard from vacuum cleaner salespeople that the best is a vacuum that's sold door to door (can't remember what brand it is).

Good luck in finding a good vacuum cleaner.

NoahsMommy
12-30-2004, 04:24 PM
How is the Dyson for cat litter??

We have a Hoover (I think?? Its some larger company) Bagless and it just moves the cat litter around! :mad:

Jods
12-30-2004, 04:28 PM
I just bought a new vacuum for really cheap I forget the name I'll vheck when I get home... It's not the greatest, but its better then the one I had... When I am finished school I'm gonna invest in one of those ones that specialize for pet hair and kitty litter.... If they have one of those.

davidpizzica
12-30-2004, 04:40 PM
I'm an old hoover man. I've grown up with them since my dad used to have a little appliance store. I can fix them, too. The vacuum I would suggest that you buy is a hoover wind tunnel. They are very powerful and I think self propelled. Good luck.

12-30-2004, 05:31 PM
thanks for the information, how about the air cleaners, does anyone have one of those? thats next on my "wish list" .

a helpful hint: hydrogen peroxide is great for removing stains, such as pet stains and it doesn't bleach the carpet.:)

dukedogsmom
12-30-2004, 05:35 PM
Rainbow vacuums are great! We've got one and you wouldn't believe what it gets out of the carpet. However, they are on the expensive side. Well worth it, though, if you can make the investment.
I just did a search and here they have them remanufactured. You can save some money this way http://www.goodvac.com/

robinh
12-30-2004, 08:38 PM
Haven't tried the Dyson with kitty litter, but it's great on sawdust that Dick has been making with his home improvement projects.
:)

KYS
12-30-2004, 08:44 PM
I have had my Dyson for about 4 months now,
and I love it.
I went through 3 vacuum cleaners in the last 4 years.
I bought my Dyson and gave my other vacuum
to my sister.

lovemyshiba
12-31-2004, 12:12 AM
DYSON

I wouldn't go back to anything else. I had been using a regular vac in my carpeted rooms, dirt devil on the furniture, shop-vac on the wood floors (around furniture and on staris), hoover floor mate on the wood and tile floors, and a dust buster for quick clean ups.
We bought our Dyson a few weeks ago, and I think I'm going to get rid of everything else.
I have 4 dogs, construction work being done on my street year round, and some bare spots outside that are dusty when very dry and the dogs bring it all in--the Dyson is perfect:)

moosmom
12-31-2004, 07:58 AM
I had a New Life Air Purifier when I lived in CT and loved it!! It covered 900 sq. ft. and had an electrostatic plact to catch the dust and dirt particles. Only problem was it costs $500!!! I was making payments on it but just coudn't afford it so I gave it back to the sales rep. If I wasn't so honest, I would've brought it to Michigan with me! I rescued 2 of the sales rep's female mamas and their babies. They ended up dying of Distemper. It was the least he could've done. Oh well.

kma4965491
01-15-2005, 08:35 PM
I have cats too and was so frustrated with all the hair! My Vet told me about "Shed No More - Hairball Control". It is an all natural sprinkle capsule and Princess and Nicky love them! It has cut down on the shedding so much and they seem so much happier! You can find it at www.BestPetSupplements.com. There is a ton of information and you can order Shed No More - Hairball Control right off the site. I think this will really help :)

popcornbird
01-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Do NOT buy any vacuum made by am Oreck! It doesn't clean in the corners and the suction is pretty poor. I'd love to try a Dyson. Although I've heard from vacuum cleaner salespeople that the best is a vacuum that's sold door to door (can't remember what brand it is).

Good luck in finding a good vacuum cleaner.

We have an Oreck and I have never used a better vacuum in my life. We've gone through SO many brands. Our's does a great job cleaning edges and corners. It makes the carpet brand new. Never had a vacuum that does a better job. It also has an 8 year warrantee......excellent vacuum. Really...Its excellent. We have a VERY thick carpet that would've killed any other vacuum when it was brand new, but the Oreck was perfect with it. I know because we tried our Panasonic (which was excellent) on the new carpet, and it killed it right away. :( Orecks 'look' really cheap, but their vacuuming quality is amazing.

Uniqueviking
01-15-2005, 11:33 PM
I use the Karcher 5500 Water Filter HEPA vacuum, and I absolutely love it.

The Karcher DS 5500 vacuums all kinds of floors and carpets with incredibly high suction power and excellent cleaning results. Thanks to its revolutionary water filter system, vacuuming is no longer accompanied by unpleasant smells, sneezing fits or clouds of dust from having to change filters.

When vacuuming with the Karcher DS 5500, the dust-laden air goes through the water filter, where almost all of the dust particles are reliably removed. The air then flows through the washable, long-life auxiliary filter which retains any remaining minute airborne particles. Next comes the HEPA filter, which retains particles down to 0.3 µm. It thus provides a protective screen against mites, pollen, spores and fungi.

1. Effective initial filtration in transparent water bath filter. Nearly all dirt particles are reliably bound in the filter. Empty the container that's all. And suction power remains constant.

2. The auxiliary filter is washable for an extra long life. It retains the minute airborne particles in the moist air.

3. The HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filter, originally developed for clean-room computer chip production and modern medicine, retains particles down to a size of 0.3 µm. It provides a reliable protective screen against mites, pollen, spores and fungus.The exhaust air is cleaner than the room air. This is a safety factor which helps allergy sufferers.

4. Motor exhaust air filter even retains the tiny carbon dust emissions from the motor.

The Karcher DS 5500's dust retention rate of 99.99% guarantees really clean exhaust air, cleaner in fact than the ambient air. This is a safety factor which helps allergy sufferers in particular.

The "water filter from the tap" is more effective and cheaper than any paper filter bag. After vacuuming, simply pour away the dirty water.

Pics: http://www.best-vacuum.com/karcher-water-vac-5500.html

Nomilynn
01-16-2005, 12:39 AM
My Grandma bought a Filter Queen from a door-to-door salesman probably 30years (or more) ago. That is the vacuum I have now. I have it serviced every year, like a car, and my "vacuum guy" told me that Filter Queens are one of the very best vacuums out there.. they cost a LOT (up to $3000 Canadian) on initial output but they last forever. He said the only difference between mine and a brand new one is basically colour - they are so well build that they have hardly ever changed the design or build :p

It works great for me :)

4 Dog Mother
01-16-2005, 10:32 AM
I just bought a Dirt Devil Platinum Force Vision -it was regular $189 but I got it on sale before Christmas for $89. It is bagless and you wouldn't believe the dirt it has gotten out of our carpet. Amy and Ralph also bought the same thing on sale but at a different store and they too were amazed at the dirt it got out of their carpet. Evidently Dirt Devil also has one named DD Plantinum Force so make sure if you decide on it that you get the one with Vision after it.

Pippi just knocked over a plant the other day with that very fine soil in it and it cleaned it up so well you couldn't tell a plant had ever been dumped in that spot.

I have had excellent expensive vacuum cleaners including a Kirby in the past. Right now we were looking for something less expensive as neither of us are working right now. I can't believe how well this one does for the price it was! And it is very easy to change to attachments which was very important to me so I could sweep dog hair off furniture etc.

anna_66
01-16-2005, 11:27 AM
We've had so many different types of vacums and they have all been junk:( We would honestly go through about a vacumn cleaner every 2 years. We even bought a really expensive one (almost $1500:eek: ) and it isn't even as good as our Dyson.

This vacumn never looses suction and it's unreal eveything that comes out of the carpet! Plus it's really easy to use.
I would recommend it to anyone, it's definately worth the money!

momoffuzzyfaces
01-16-2005, 12:12 PM
MY dream vacuum needs to be lightweight, bagless, and can suck up cat litter, cat hair, and dust bunnies out of old FRAYED carpet.

Anyone seen such a critter?:D

Tonya
01-16-2005, 05:55 PM
I've never heard of a Dyson! I'm going to go check it out. Ours is a hoover and I don't like it.

K9karen
01-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Switched from an Oreck upright to Electrolux cannister..worth every cent..it's like a new rug/floor everytime. (hint: don't buy one at the same time you need your car repaired! )It's a bit heavy but the attachments are super. Since I'm not allowed to vacuum, the vacuum's been gathering dust! :D :D :D :D There are 2 blind men in my house...!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :o :mad:

moosmom
01-17-2005, 10:11 AM
I found a "Buyer's Guide" in the Good Housekeeping magazine. The "best warranty" was the Dirt Devil Cruiser 091700 ($199.99). "Top Value" went to the Eureka Boxx 5855 ($129.99). Next in line was the Kenmore Progressive Direct Drive 33923 (279.88)

BEST OVERALL was the Hoover Savvy U8145-900 ($279.99).

The WORST vacuums were the Oreck and Dyson. They rated Dyson with the best pull although it didn't suck up debris nearly as well as the winners.

The Oreck they said didn't finish well even though it's a featherweight.

The "robot vacs" were terrible.

Hope this helps.

Chris J
01-27-2005, 10:06 PM
I C the Dyson has come up a lot here. Good to hear there are some happy Dyson owners here.

Vio&Juni
01-28-2005, 03:25 AM
I bought in December a Samsung with a Pet brush. Works well for me. I looked and looked for a long time (I had an old one that was promising to die :) ) and finally found what I wanted. I only paid a little more than $100. I wanted one with a HEPA filter, but the difference was so big, I didn't know if it was worthy.