View Full Version : More on the cloning cats debate :-(

QueenScoopalot
12-29-2004, 03:06 PM
http://www.hsus.org/pets/pets_related_news_and_events/why_not_toby.html

(click on link for more links)

Why Not Toby?

December 22, 2004

Toby in the shelter.
On Friday, December 10, a very expensive cat was delivered to his new home. At a cost of $50,000, the feline made headlines as one of the world's first cloned cats, created by Genetic Savings and Clone, Inc., a commercial pet cloning service based in Sausalito, California.

Just a few days later, Toby, an attractive, friendly two-year-old cat, wandered into the laundry room of an apartment complex in an attempt to keep warm. Later that day he was picked up by a caring animal control officer and taken to a local shelter to await adoption.

But Toby's story ends like that of millions of other homeless animals. Instead of being taken into a loving family, he was euthanized after the five-day stray holding period due to lack of space at the shelter.

Toby's death wasn't unusual, considering that he was just one of thousands of cats euthanized that week in the United States. In fact, an estimated 57,000 homeless pets are euthanized every week in the United States, due to a constant and overwhelming stream of animals pouring in from communities across the country.

Given those disturbing numbers, why would a family of animal-lovers spend $50,000 to create a cat, while Toby and thousands of animals like him desperately need new homes? Why is a company spending millions of dollars to create cloned cats when it's estimated that 3-4 million companion animals are euthanized each year?

Clearly, there's money to be made by trading on individuals' understandable desire to keep a beloved pet around. But the costs of creating a recyclable pet culture will be high. The fact is, it's irresponsible and unethical to be cloning animals when there aren't enough homes available for all of the pets like Toby.

Until every animal has a home, all animal lovers should consider adopting their next pet, whether a dog, cat, rabbit, hamster or other animal, from their local animal shelter or breed rescue group.

Cloning doesn't just affect pets—it could have major implications for other animals as well. Learn more about the about the repercussions of cloning.

moosmom
12-29-2004, 05:31 PM
I am dead set against cloning pets.

Until every animal has a home, all animal lovers should consider adopting their next pet, whether a dog, cat, rabbit, hamster or other animal, from their local animal shelter or breed rescue group.

Cloning doesn't just affect pets—it could have major implications for other animals as well. Learn more about the about the repercussions of cloning.

I couldn't agree with the above statement more.

Corinna
12-30-2004, 03:28 PM
I have finally calmn down enough to responde to this. I was so angry when I heard this stiry. How much food could that buy for cats or how many strays could be fixed for that to save them. This woman should have to work in a kill shelter for a month to see her wrongs.

QueenScoopalot
12-30-2004, 03:42 PM
I agree Corrina that this woman is nuts for doing this. Others say "it's her money" but it might (and stress the might) make it a tiny bit easier to swallow if she donated an equal amount of $$$$ to a shelter struggling to make ends meet. :mad: :mad: And work in a kill shelter as well. :mad: The only possible good I can see from cloning animals, is to attempt to save endangered species, but the world needs to change it's attitude big time for that to even work. :rolleyes:

moosmom
12-30-2004, 04:06 PM
The only possible good I can see from cloning animals, is to attempt to save endangered species, but the world needs to change it's attitude big time for that to even work.

BINGO!!!!! Need there be anymore said???

carole
01-03-2005, 03:41 AM
I was as out-raged at this story as the rest of you, I thought she spent 70,000 dollars to have her cat cloned, my first thoughts were Geez what a selfish person, she could have donated all that money to an animal shelter or any needy charity, but unfortunately it is her money to do what she likes with, but really I find her selfish to want to indulge herself like that, we all adore our pets, and some have such wonderful natures, cloning them in our dreams might seem awesome, but in reality it is not, there are so many other beautiful creatures out there sadly who will never experience the warmth and love our pets do, this just makes it all worse, grrrr.......:mad:

LKPike
01-05-2005, 04:11 PM
yep, yep.... lets just keeeeep on digging this planets grave. I just simply CANT WAIT till we've created a zombie virus, or perhaps morph the hiv virus to spread and kill faster! HEY! I've ALWAYS wanted a 2 legged breed of cat.
I never thought I'd say it, and don't take it personally, but I hate 70% of human beings and some of their rediculous ideas.