PDA

View Full Version : Career Change. Am I nuts!!???

mina'smomma
12-29-2004, 12:12 PM
That's right. I was inspired by those who helped me through physical part of my hard time, and next fall Miss Renae here is going back to school at the age of 26 to become an RN. For those who don't know now I'll be graduating in May with my BA in Business management, but I've been thinking and its not really what I want to do. I'm thinking the nursing will be good.

Am I doing the right thing, or am I just losing what little of my poor mind is left.:confused:

Jods
12-29-2004, 12:35 PM
I think the more education the better you can get fired from jobs or switch all the time, but an education is the one thing you'll never lose. Think about it and if you really feel thats what you wanna spend you money making days doing then go for it!!

ramanth
12-29-2004, 01:04 PM
If your heart is into it, go for it! I'm 27 and I want to go back and get a BA sometime in the near future. :)

Karen
12-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Perhaps some volunteer wrok at a hospital over January break, see what it's really like, then see what courses you'd need and if you can sneak any into this next semester.

Nursing is hard but worthwhile work, and maybe you could get a job doing administrative/business stuff at a hospital while you figure things out!

Jadapit
12-29-2004, 01:13 PM
I think if that's what would make you happy then by all means go for it!!! Life is just to short to be stuck in a job that you really dont like you know what I mean?;)

mina'smomma
12-29-2004, 01:15 PM
I know I'll like it because I use to volunteer in sick bay while my dad was stationed in the Marines, but I just don't want to end up regretting my decision.

chrangharris
12-29-2004, 02:39 PM
Nursing is a hard profession that not every person is cut out for. It takes a lot of hard work to prepare for it and to do. You have several months to think over your decision and to decide if it is the right one for you. There is always a shortage of good nurses and I feel that someone can never have to much of an education! If your heart is in nursing, go for it!

NoahsMommy
12-29-2004, 02:57 PM
There is never anything wrong with educating youself, no matter what age.

Nursing is a hardworking field. They are much needed right now.

Do you have a nursing program close to you??

mina'smomma
12-29-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
There is never anything wrong with educating youself, no matter what age.

Nursing is a hardworking field. They are much needed right now.

Do you have a nursing program close to you??

yeah the community college around here has an excellent nursing program.

Miranda_Rae
12-29-2004, 08:33 PM
I can't tell you what to do, but I know that good nurses are in great demand. My mom used to be a nurse and she would tell me stories about what they did in there. I could NEVER be a nurse. I think I would get sick or faint or something. Not for me. I think one of the main things a nurse needs is compassion for people and not to get grossed out, and to have determination and stamina. Good luck in whatever you choose.:)

mina'smomma
12-30-2004, 07:09 AM
I have 7 older brothers who made a game of trying to gross me out, and it never worked. I just keep hoping I'm not making a mistake.

moosmom
12-30-2004, 07:20 AM
Renae,

You'll make a great nurse! 26 is not too old to make a career change, believe me. I'm 51 and I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up! :p I wish you a lot of luck in your new career.

Logan
12-30-2004, 08:35 AM
I think it is wonderful that you can do this, and now is the time to do it! :) We have some nurses on this board that I know will be glad to give you support (Debbie - Sirrahbed and Sandra - Tatsxxx11). I actually started out in Nursing when I was a freshman at Clemson. I really wish I hadn't changed my mind.....can't even remember why I did now. :o

Good luck!
Logan

RICHARD
12-30-2004, 01:46 PM
You can always use your degree to work in management in the medical field.. Some hosiptals will pay for you to get your nursing degree.....

There are quite a few nurses that become MBAs later on......you are just doing it backwards!
Good luck.

:)

Cincy'sMom
12-30-2004, 05:49 PM
Good luck with your new career path! I'm sure you will be wonderful!

My SIL wentback to school about 1 1/2 ys ago to become a nurse...she has about 1 1/2 yrs left, and just turned 41 in November...it is never to late to learn new things!