PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER Asthma Attack & ANOTHER Trip to the Whitecoats!

christa
12-28-2004, 07:39 PM
Josie has had 2 asthma attacks since Sunday . . . one on Sunday & one today. When I gave her a prednisone today, it didn't help her much so I took her to the vet.

She had a full bloodwork done. Everything was normal.

She was also tested for heartworms . . . the vet was concerned that she had heartworms since the symptoms are similar. Good news! NO HEART WORMS! :)

So the verdict: She definitely has asthma. (not a big surprise . . . we just wanted to rule out some other things)

She got a shot of steriods that should last 4-6 weeks. Maybe longer. The vet said that her other asthmatic cats only have to have 2 or 3 shots a year. We just take her back for a shot when it wears off. I liked the idea of a shot rather than giving her a PILL EVERY DAY! Josie doesn't do well with oral meds!

I'm glad it's just asthma and not something worse . . . and glad that these shots will prevent any attacks for awhile.

:)

Laura's Babies
12-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Wow! Glad it was just asthma.... But I am not glad kitties have asthma! :(

QueenScoopalot
12-28-2004, 08:15 PM
My friend Barbara has a cat who has occasional asthma attacks. He's only had two bad ones, and hasn't had one now in years. Hopefully Josie will outgrow it. ;)

christa
12-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
My friend Barbara has a cat who has occasional asthma attacks. He's only had two bad ones, and hasn't had one now in years. Hopefully Josie will outgrow it. ;)

Hope you're right.

Vet said that the shot that the ER vet gave her on December 6 should have only lasted 12 hours . . . it's lasted almost 4 weeks . . . I'm hoping that that's a good sign. Maybe she's not so bad.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

rg_girlca
12-28-2004, 10:43 PM
I hope and pray that this is something she will outgrow also.

It must be scary for you and for poor Josie.

Give that sweet girl a kiss for me.

catcrazylady
12-29-2004, 05:51 AM
Oh poor Josie and poor you! That has to be scary to see her having an attack. I'm glad she got the shot and won't have one of the nasty things again for a while.

{{{HUGS}}} to you sweet Josie and I hope you feel all better for a very long time!

mina'smomma
12-29-2004, 07:24 AM
Oh thank goodness Josie will be ok. I was worried until I read that it wasn't heartworms. Now all she needs the little brother to bat around for awhile and she will be back to purrrrfect.;)

catfamily
12-29-2004, 07:40 AM
Glad Jose is in good hands.And happy it's not too serious.

chrangharris
12-29-2004, 07:51 AM
Poor Josie! Glad the Dr thinks she will be ok!

catmandu
12-29-2004, 08:30 AM
Poor Josie.we are praying,for you,to get better,and be,the healthy Cat,that God meant you to be!

christa
12-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by catcrazylady
Oh poor Josie and poor you! That has to be scary to see her having an attack.

VERY SCARY! I hate to see her in any discomfort! She's my baby & I just hope that she does outgrow this . . . that would be a miracle . . . but trust me, I've been praying for one!

NoahsMommy
12-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Poor Josie, poor you! :(

Basie gets those attacks and they are so scary!! :( We have pred on hand, as well as his anti-histamines, but he gets those shots every few months too.

Has your vet talked to you about a kitty inhaler? If Basie has one more attack, he'll get one.

Kisses to Josie!

ramanth
12-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Glad it's not something worse!

Hope she feels better soon. Poor thing.

Kirsten
12-29-2004, 01:40 PM
My Katz had asthma when she was younger, but it got better after a while.

Glad it's not anything worse! Hope poor Josie will feel better soon!

Kirsten

christa
12-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Poor Josie, poor you! :(

Basie gets those attacks and they are so scary!! :( We have pred on hand, as well as his anti-histamines, but he gets those shots every few months too.

Has your vet talked to you about a kitty inhaler? If Basie has one more attack, he'll get one.

Kisses to Josie!

LOLOLOL . . . they tried to do the inhaler on her when we took her to the ER last month. She wouldn't have any part in that! So it's shots for her :) I can't imagine trying to hold her down to give her a puff . . . I think it would make her worse because she gets freaked out when we hold her down. :rolleyes:

moosmom
12-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Christa,

My oldest kitty, Mollie Rose (11 years old) was diagnosed with kitty asthma. The vet told me I should use Prednisone sparingly as it can cause Mollie's immune system to weaken.

She also has a really bad allergy problem. I give her a half of a tab of Chlortimeton whenever I see her eyes water or she sneezes alot. It really works. I have read alot about sneezing in cats. Vets say that it has to do with being exposed to a herpes virus. Since MooShoo had a herpes virus when I adopted him, (that's why he's blind in his right eye and partial vision in his left) I figured that's where Mollie Rose got it.

As long as the Chlortrimeton works and she's eating, using the litterbox and acting normal, I'm not worried. Heck, she's 11 years old! The older ya get, the more problems you have.