PDA

View Full Version : Nearly a disaster

Glacier
12-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Poor Preacher....I probably shouldn't even post this, cuz i just know I"m going to get flamed for it, but I've stopped crying and shaking enough to type now!

Our house doesn't have a basement--too expensive to dig through the permafrost! We have a four foot crawl space accessed by a trap door in the utility room floor. Preacher never goes in that room! It's small and he has trouble turning around in it. Preacher is completely blind and that room is not part of his mind map of the house!

Earlier this afternoon, I was putting away some Christmas decorations--stored in the crawl space. Preacher was sleeping on his bed in the porch or I thought he was. Suddenly I heard a big crash.... PREACHER FELL IN THE CRAWL SPACE!!!!!

There are no stairs, no ladder ect. We jump down on to an old kitchen chair. Thank God for that chair. It broke Preacher's fall and saved him from the concrete floor. I found him sitting on the chair with a stunned "what the H**l was that?" look on his face.

Preacher was shaking like a leaf, but not a sound out of him. I am always amazed by how stoic he is. I gave him a quick once over in the crawl space and found nothing obviously broken and no bleeding. It took me about 10 minutes, although it seemed much longer, to get him out. He weighs 80 pounds and there is no one home but me today. I'm pretty sure I have pulled every muscle from my waist up.

Preacher is now back on his bed. I called my vet--who is not actually working for the clinic anymore, but who was kind enough to leave me a contact number. (He's opening his own place on February 1 and my crew is following him) On his advice, I gave Preacher one of Goldie's anti-inflammatories. I"m supposed to keep an eye on him and watch for any changes in his behavior. If he seems to change, I'll take him into the clininc and see one of the other vets. I knew I was tempting fate when I told the dogs to be good until Dr. Kim opens his own clinic! Right now Preacher seems fine--he's weightbearing on all his paws and not yelping when I move his legs or press on his muscles.

I am a bad momma...who is going to find a way to block that room off completely whenever the trap door has to be open.....

Please keep your paws crossed that my inattention doesn't lead to anything serious for Preacher--he's got enough problems without adding me to them!

captain
12-28-2004, 05:09 PM
You know I am not gonna FLAME you ................ this will just make sure you are more careful next time :)

HUGS to Preacher ............... kiss, kiss ........ and paws crossed.

Karen
12-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Oh my, Preacher - you know how to scare momma, don't you? We'll keep you both in our prayers and hope that nothing is broken or badly damaged. And for you, aspirin. My friend who is an MD told us after we helped him movce that everyone who had just lugged all those heavy boxes should take an aspirin BEFORE going to bed, so we wouldn't be miserably stiff and sore the next day.

CountryWolf07
12-28-2004, 05:19 PM
No need to get flamed at! I'm glad to know that Preacher is alright.. what a scare! It's okay..

molucass
12-28-2004, 05:24 PM
I hope he is ok. :)

*Hugs* to you and Preacher.

Mandy1
12-28-2004, 05:31 PM
I hope he is alright. That must of been horrible.

cubby31682
12-28-2004, 05:33 PM
At least he is okay! You got a good scare from what happened, as I believe all of us would. I hope you and Preacher are both feeling better tomorrow. You also might want to take an asprin, or motrin or something for your muscles.

LorraineO
12-28-2004, 05:42 PM
wouldnt dream of flaming you for an accident!!! Its gonna be okay,,, relax and dont be so hard on yourself,,, no one is perfect,,, I am sure youll make sure that doenst happen again!!! Keep us informed on how he does!!! Maybe mommy needs some of that rescue remedy about now???;)

lizbud
12-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Wow, what a scare you both had. I hope Preacher is o.k.:)
I also hope you aren't to stiff & sore tomorrow. Take care, both
of you.:D

KYS
12-28-2004, 06:09 PM
What a scare for you and Preacher.
Give him a big hug from me.

Cinder & Smoke
12-28-2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
a big crash.... PREACHER FELL IN THE CRAWL SPACE!!!!!

There are no stairs, no ladder ect.
We jump down on to an old kitchen chair.

:eek:

Watch that first step, Preacher; it's a :eek: Doozie!

THANKfully, he doesn't seem to be hurt from his unplanned
"visit" to the crawl space!!

Maybe a suggestion??

Get a "baby gate" to block the doorway to the "big hole-in-the-floor"
room when you need to open the trap door.
MOUNT it in a removable fashion - use "Eye-Hooks in the door jamb
and screw mating "Hooks" into the baby gate.
Remove & Store it completely out of the way when not needed.

When you're using the trap door, "Hang" the gate across the room doorway.
When YOU need to go in/out, un-hook one end and swing it open -
it will only take one hand to open/latch one end of the gate.

#2 - Ask Hubby to make a Wooden LADDER that will reach from the
crawl space FLOOR to the trap DOOR above.
STORE the "emergency ladder" down in the crawl space.
Maybe tie a rope to it and attach the loose end of the rope to
the underside of the trap door.
Otta make YOUR trips down & up a lil bit easier!

Lastly...
Living "out in the Boonies" and sometimes being alone -
consider buying a Canvas Log Carrier - normally used to carry
a small bundle/load of firewood.
A BIG log carrier is long enough to carry a sick/injured DOG on!

Hope you BOTH feel better!!

/s/ Phred
(edit to fix a logic typo)

anna_66
12-28-2004, 10:25 PM
Never! It was an accident and accidents happen.

I'm just glad to hear that both you and him are doing alright although you'll probably both be a little sore tomorrow.

Miranda_Rae
12-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Oh, how scary. :eek: I wouldn't "flame" you. It was an accident and accidents happen. I bet that was frightening for Preacher and for you. I would have had an emotional break down. I am glad that he isn't seriously hurt. How scary. :eek: {{HUGS}} to you and Preacher. Give him a kiss for me please. :)

pitc9
12-29-2004, 07:33 AM
I don't see how anyone could flame you for that!! It was an accident!! It could have happened to anyone! I'm just glad to hear he was not hurt! Just shaken up a bit (as well as yourself)

*~ gentle hugs~* to Preacher and you too!!

cloverfdx
12-29-2004, 07:44 AM
Oh no how scary :(. Accidents do happen though and that could happen to anyone at anytime. {{Hugs}} I hope you are both feeling better soon.

EssTer
12-29-2004, 08:12 AM
you are NOT bad mom At ALL!!!
I will pary for Preacher, and I hope he will be Ok ;)

((((HUGS)))))

Dixieland Dancer
12-29-2004, 08:14 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself mom! Accidents happen to all of us but it doesn't make us bad moms. Accidents can and do happen to even the best moms (and dads) in the world! Give preacher a hug and tell him he has a lot of Pet talkers wishing him well after his nasty fall.

Phred gave some great suggestions! Hope you implement some or all of them. They really make sense.

ramanth
12-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Oh Glacier, hon, don't blame yourself! Accidents happen! I hope Preacher is okay and has nothing too serious wrong with him. Give the 'ol boy a pet for me.

*hugs*

Tonya
12-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself! I know that you love Preacher and that you would never intentionally harm him. I am glad to hear that he wasn't hurt to bad.

Glacier
12-29-2004, 03:16 PM
Thanks everyone. Preacher seems fine today. I gave him another anti-inflammatory this morning. My father-in-law is going to stop by and let him outside again this afternoon. It's -40 with the windchill here today so my old-timers are not allowed to stay outside for long.

Thanks for the suggestions Phred--I already have a baby gate in the house to keep dogs out of the cat's litterbox room. I'll just move it next time the door has to be opened. I have a small log carrier--we heat our house with a wood stove so I carry lots of logs. I'll have to look for a bigger one that would work as a doggy stretcher. There have been a few occasions where such a thing would have come in handy!

tatsxxx11
12-29-2004, 03:26 PM
So glad to hear that Preacher is ok!!! What a scare! Flame? Bad mom? Never!!! We all know what a caring, devoted, responsible mom you are! It was an accident that could happen to the best mom or dad! Hugs to you Preacher! Good suggestions Phred:)

Jadapit
12-29-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm so glad tho hear that Preacher is ok! You a bad mom? Never!
Things happen sometimes and it's very obvious how much you love your dogs!:)

Cinder & Smoke
12-29-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Glacier

... I have a small log carrier
I'll have to look for a bigger one that would
work as a doggy stretcher.
There have been a few occasions where such a thing
would have come in handy!

Another item that might come in handy - given your 6 months
of snow cover - is a kid's Plastic Sled like this >>>
http://store1.yimg.com/I/hectors876_1826_27414429

This style has some *rigidity* and slightly raised sides -
very similar to Hoomin rescue sled/stretchers that Fire Guys use.
Pictured one is 66" long - you should be able to find a "Kid Sized"
about 4 - 4 1/2 feet long - more Dawg-sized.
The SLED is handy for a long transport and would
offer support for an injured back or limbs.

GLAD the Preacher is showing no signs of injury from
the :eek: Big Step!

/s/ Phred

cyber-sibes
12-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Poor Preacher - glad to hear he seems okay. I'll bet YOU"RE sore- lifting an 80-lb dog up like tat is no small task. A couple people have had some really good suggestions on keeping an emergency "litter" around - probably a good thing for all of us with larger dogs to do! Give Preacher hugs & kisses, and hugs to you, too. Accidents happen to all of us - at least you both are ok!