PDA

View Full Version : Buddy Back To Vet

MySweetBoy
12-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Yesterday morning, I noticed that Buddy wasn't breathing very well. I figured it was time for another chest tap. Sure enough, that was the case. Dr. John tapped 225cc (appox. 1 1/2 cups). Buddy tolerated the procedure well and is feeling so much better. John couldn't believe how good he looked physically and how he has maintained his body weight. He also apologized for painting such a bleak picture the last time we were there. Well, he doesn't know me or my Buddy boy very well. We're definately fighters! I know this doesn't mean he will ever be well....it just means we can have each other a little longer. His lasix was increased and he is on a strict water regimen. It was so good to see him enjoy his food and sleep easier. He even wanted to get on my lap today while I was on the computer....My little cyber kitty. God love his little heart.

Linda

Barbara
12-29-2004, 08:39 AM
I can't be of much help but I've been following Buddy's story. After we all went through Bassett's story last year I have a little an idea what it's like. I hope it stops for some time- Catsnclay's Lucky is fine now as far as I know for like 2 years and that is what I wish to handsome Buddy:)

Laura's Babies
12-29-2004, 09:15 AM
It is heartbreaking the things our babies have to go through, the sickness, illnesses and stuff. It just breaks my heart that any of them have to suffer for one moment!

MySweetBoy
12-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Hi Barbara,

You may or may not know how much your support and "WISH" means to me. You have made my glimmer of hope a bit brighter. Also, you can't imagine how I look forward to posts, as they help me keep it glued together. I think you guys here at PT are the greatest!! Buddy seems to be having a good day, however it's very hard to tell with cats as they are very good at hiding what's ailing them. But since he's been ill, I watch him like a hawk and have been able to detect when he's not feeling well. I do believe I'm starting to think like a cat. :-) I have also been paying more attention to my other 2 cats, as far as any weird behavior. Buddy's illness has really made me much more aware.

Linda

NoahsMommy
12-29-2004, 11:36 AM
Like the others have said, I'm so sorry you and Buddy are having to deal with this. I wish all our furry and skin kids can be healthy.

I think attitude on both your's and Buddy's part is so important in his health.

I'll be wishing and praying for your gorgeous tabby, boy. :)

MySweetBoy
12-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Hi NM,

Just when I think I can cry no more, a get another kind, loving message. Only thing is though, they're tears of joy at knowing I have such a wonderful support network. Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!

Linda

catarius
12-29-2004, 02:56 PM
Great news about Buddy. Glad to hear you are both feeling better. Take care !!!!

Scott & "The Guys"

PS - I'm not sure how to post a photo -- but my guys were in the "Christmas Greetings"

http://petoftheday.com/greetings/Christmas/38.html

MySweetBoy
12-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Hi Scott,

Thank you for such a nice greeting. Your photo post worked great! Your guys are very beautiful (handsome) and look very content in their new bed. Ben and Buddy look like they could have come from the same litter. Buddy and I wish you and your gang a very happy, happy New Year!!!

Linda

MySweetBoy
12-29-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
It is heartbreaking the things our babies have to go through, the sickness, illnesses and stuff. It just breaks my heart that any of them have to suffer for one moment!

Yes it is heartbreaking. It gnaws at my very soul. I often wonder what Buddy might be thinking.... to be a once healthy and very happy boy.... to feeling punk most of the time now. I wonder......

Thanks for caring, Linda

yorkster
12-29-2004, 09:33 PM
It's amazing how much better they feel after fluid is drained from their chest. Hope he stays feeling better.
I remember going through all that with my kitty, Kedi. What a roller coaster at times.

I'll tell you one thing, and that is: I'll be really picky about any little symptom my animals have from here on out. I used to not be, thinking that animals just get 'a little' sick sometimes like humans (like colds, etc.) Well, sometimes they do, but I think it's good to take it more seriously with them since they can't really tell you that they feel bad. I will always feel bad/guilty about my baby. I should have taken him in sooner than I did..............
On the-other-hand, I know he had a great 9 years- very loved, spoiled, pampered and was king of the house for sure!

here is his pic (I hope it'll work):

Nomilynn
12-29-2004, 10:30 PM
I posted a note in Phaelen's thread that highlighted all of Bassett's threads.. if you want to read through them and let me know if you have any questions I would be more than happy to discuss them with you :)

Naomi

MySweetBoy
12-30-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I posted a note in Phaelen's thread that highlighted all of Bassett's threads.. if you want to read through them and let me know if you have any questions I would be more than happy to discuss them with you :)

Naomi

Hi Naomi,

It was nice of you to think of me. However, I have already read through most of your threads. I figured there might be some information I could use. Sadly, all I found was a mirror image of what Buddy and I have been going through. But like you, I am NOT giving up hope. Buddy is part of this family and we will do whatever it takes to help him. Money is very tight but I don't care. If I have to start selling my possessions, I will. Nothing is more important to me right now than Buddy's comfort and well being. I love him so much.

Linda

MySweetBoy
12-30-2004, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yorkster
It's amazing how much better they feel

Hi Yorkster,
Your picture worked great. Thanks for sharing it. Kedi was a gorgous boy. He looks like he was a real layed back kitty.
Yes, it is amazing how much better they feel. I just wish it would last a little longer. Although he is getting more used to the car ride, I know it still causes him stress. I hate making him go through anything that makes him unhappy. He gets me back though, by sprinkling on my lap. I keep a plastic bag under his towel now. Buddy never did travel well in a carrier and was always a little angel on my lap.
As far as being more aware, I have told myself the very same thing. Cats are very good at hiding what's ailing them so you really have to be in tune to them. For this reason alone, you should NOT feel guilty. This is part of their behavior and it's very difficult for us to crack their code, so to speak. You loved Kedi very much. This is obvious. And when he got sick you did everything in your power to help him. God love you.

Linda

[B]Pray for the people in Southeast Asia. Sweet Jesus be with them.

slick
12-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Linda....I have not posted much but have been lurking and following your plight. You and Buddy are in my daily prayers and he is lucky to have such a wonderful and loving Mewomie. :)

{{{HUGS}}}
slick
xoxo

MySweetBoy
12-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by slick
Linda....I have not posted much but have been lurking and following your plight. You and Buddy are in my daily prayers and he is lucky to have such a wonderful and loving Mewomie. :)

{{{HUGS}}}
slick
xoxo

Hi Slick,

Thanks for thinking of us....and all of your prayers are gratefully welcomed. As you have probably read in a past post, Buddy has lost his taste for his regular cat food. All he would eat untill about an hour ago was people shrimp, crab and chicken livers and occasionally a little wet food mixed with chicken liver, of course. I've been having to suppliment him with Nutra-Cal. I got the idea to try Gerber baby food turkey, as he used to love a turkey treat. I got a couple of other meats as well and will try them one at a time. I am sooo happy!! The only thing I don't like is the fact that the baby food has sodium in it (30%). I have had Buddy on a sodium free diet for 1 1/2 years due to fluid retention. This was advised by the vet when he was first allegedly diagnosed with cardiomyopathy. Hopefully the lasix will help get rid of any extra fluid produced by the salt. It's always nice to hear from you, Slick. Take care.

Linda

yorkster
12-30-2004, 05:03 PM
MySweetBoy,
At some point I had to give Kedi IV's because he did not want to eat much and had lost some weight. It seemed to make him feel better for awhile, and he was very coopertive about it. After a little while he even seemed to like it because he always got a good massage afterwords :D :rolleyes:
Take care and you and Buddy are in our prayers.

MySweetBoy
12-30-2004, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by yorkster
[B]MySweetBoy,
At some point I had to give Kedi IV's

Hi Yorkster,

Are you a doctor or a nurse or did your vet teach you how to do IV's? And how far into the sickness was Kedi when this was started? God, you must have explored every avenue. God love you.
I re-read an article today that I printed out from a web site....www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/chylothorax.html (click if you want to read)
One of the treatments....not cures, is the placement of a chest drainage tube.
I wonder why my vet never suggested this? This would make it so much easier on Buddy not to mention the pocket. I'm sure you can relate to the expenses. I'm going to call this evening to find out if this is possible. Talk to you later my friend.

Linda

yorkster
12-30-2004, 07:53 PM
The vet showed me how to do the IV's- it was actually pretty easy after I got over my fear about it. One thing that helped was the vet smeared a little gooey canned cat food on a paper towel for him to lick off while I first inserted the needle (he didn't skirm much when he was distracted with food).
The IV's were something that started quite far into it, done mainly because at some point he did not eat much and had lost a lot of weight (several lbs.)
The drainage tubes came up late into it all (very briefly- I barely remember it). It was really too late at that point because his kidneys became involved. Finally, he had a large blood clot and his back end was partially paralized.
I can totally relate to the expense! At that time, I had been laid-off for several months and ended-up using some savings and then credit cards. People thought I was crazy.

Let me know what you find out about the drainage tube(s).

Nomilynn
12-30-2004, 08:12 PM
The chest tube tends to be a last resort because it is VERY painful for the cat and therefore there has to be a constant supply of pain meds, and it makes kitty highly suceptible (sp?) to infections because it leaves an open would to the outside exposed at all times. Also, chances are, the cat would have to wear a cone, which is usually high stress :(

I talked to my vet about it, and Bassett's surgeon, and they both were pretty against it.

yorkster
12-30-2004, 10:10 PM
Nomilynn,
I did not hear about your kitty until quite some time afterwards because I don't get to PT much anymore. I just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear about it.
Actually, I think when Basset first got sick, was just a matter of a couple weeks after Kedi died. I was a basket case for quite some time, and did not do much of anything except what I really had to do.

Did you ever administer any IV's? If so, did it go well?
I really think that at some point Kedi knew I was trying to help him when I did that- he would purr, purr, purr.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Nomilynn
12-30-2004, 11:55 PM
I didn't have to give her IV's but Bassett never became dehydrated. She also didn't drink too much.

Yes, we need to get back in touch :) My email is no longer with shaw so PM me when you have time :)

sirrahbed
12-31-2004, 08:00 AM
I am an RN and just to clarify a bit - the needle used to give the fluids is not an IV - (which means intrav-venous) but simpby Sub-Q or subcutaneous and the needle goes just under the skin and most folks say that the kitty does not even feel it - but what they object to is having to hold still for the 20-30 minutes it might take to receive the fluids:D

Hugs to Buddy and Bandit and the many kitties who are receiving loving care from Meowmies!!

MySweetBoy
12-31-2004, 09:04 PM
Hugs to Buddy and Bandit and the many kitties who are receiving loving care from Meowmies!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Hi Debbie,

I was wondering where you got to. I was going to PM you tonight to see if you've been snowed in or had lost electric. I've seen on the news where Ohio's been getting it good. I hope all is well.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Linda

MySweetBoy
12-31-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by yorkster
The vet showed me how to do the IV's- it was actually pretty easy after I got over my fear about it. One thing that helped was the vet smeared a little gooey canned cat food on a paper towel for him to lick off while I first inserted the needle (he didn't skirm much when he was distracted with food).
The IV's were something that started quite far into it, done mainly because at some point he did not eat much and had lost a lot of weight (several lbs.)
The drainage tubes came up late into it all (very briefly- I barely remember it). It was really too late at that point because his kidneys became involved. Finally, he had a large blood clot and his back end was partially paralized.
I can totally relate to the expense! At that time, I had been laid-off for several months and ended-up using some savings and then credit cards. People thought I was crazy.

Let me know what you find out about the drainage tube(s).

Hi Yorkster,

I left a message at my vets office but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. He will though, when he gets a break. I'm starting to have second thoughts though, after reading Nomilynns post. I hate the thought of my sweet boy in pain.
And pooh, what other people think. They're just jealous because they haven't discovered unconditional love yet.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Linda

Catsnclay
01-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Sorry I haven't responded to this sooner, but I've been off the computer for almost 2 weeks now.

My Lucky also had Chylothroax and I am VERY happy to say that he is fully cured now!! :D :D :) :)

This was almost 2 years ago, and I will never forget those months of agnozing and pain that we went through. I wouldn't wish that for anyone.

We did have Lucky on a chest tube for about a week, and its funny now, but I thought it helped him a lot, and my husband didn't think it helped at all.

We were only told about the Rutin, none of the other medications. We did at one point have to give him Sub-Q's, and after I got over the fear of hurting him, it went really easy. I actually had a long chat with Lucky, telling him that I was nervous and we had to do this because it would make him feel better. Crazy??!! Nope, he listened, we did it and it worked out fine. Of course my husband was out cold on the sofa the entire time Lucky & I were in the bathroom doing it!! :rolleyes:

All I can say to you Linda & Amanda is keep up YOUR strength for your kitty, they do feed off of our fears. Tim & I did everything in our powers to keep Lucky alive and well, and even though it took what seems to be forever, it did work out well for us.

Talk to people, Vets and others, you will soon realise that you are not alone, and there are a lot of people who have gone through this. Its not going to be fun or cheap, but it is well worth it in the end. Patience.................

If either of you need me, please feel free to contact me. I have my computer back now!! (Tim is back at work!!
:D )

MySweetBoy
01-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Hello CNC,

Thank you very much for your kind concern and advice. Any bit of encouragement is always welcomed. Sorry That I haven't responded sooner, but to tell you the truth, I just haven't felt up to it because I've been feeling a bit down. I knew I would eventually, though.
I copied your post to my desk top and have read it a couple of times. You have given me and Buddy a glimmer of hope. I am very happy that Lucky beat it. What a cruel disease this is to deal with....especially for the poor cat. It is obvious that you love Lucky very much. Your love, determination and diligence payed off. I can only hope and pray that Buddy is so "Lucky" :-)
How old was Lucky when he was diagnosed with chylothorax? Did the vet find a treatable underlying illness? And how long did he have it? Also, do you remember if there was any blood in the fluid that was drained? My vet said this was normal. But normal how? I just never asked him....I don't know why....if there are stages. We just took Buddy to the vet again this morning. He had his chest drained an enima and an hour in oxygen. My vet likes to do the oxygen afterward to help relieve his stress so as to get his breathing back to normal. It works like a charm. We get him home....50 minute ride....without a pant. In the past, he'd be panting and his little tongue out by the time we got him home. I asked the vet how better to feed Buddy since he has lost his taste for cat food. I've been giving him baby food meats but that alone isn't enough. That's why he's been constipated. He advised me to mix 1/2tsp of Metamusal and some baby food veggies in with the meat. It worked out great. He ate well. I think I might be able to sleep tonight!! I just worry all the time.
It is nice to meet you CNC!!

Linda

I forgot to mention, that I haven't heard from Amanda since Jan.1st. I sent her a PM on the 3rd and 6th but have heard nothing. I have been concerned for her and Bandit. I pray for them every day as I do all of the sick babies and parents.