PDA

View Full Version : Peach Faced Lovebirds

Daisy's Mom
07-10-2001, 10:26 AM
Hi everyone! Guess what: my parents have finally consented on allowing me to get another pet. Well, two, actually. My mom has always thought that peach-faced lovebirds were really pretty, so she is going to let me get two! I am really excited but I need to some research on them now. I don't want to get them and then have no idea how to take care of them! I will be doing some reading of my own but I thought that I would post here because I am sure someone has some lovebirds and could help me out a little. Experience produces the best advice. Anything you know about them would be appreciated, such as what do they eat, how much would two cost, are they noisy, etc. Thanks a lot!!

-Daisy's Mom, Bridget

ilovehounds
07-10-2001, 02:25 PM
Oh thats sooo great ! I have a male peach faced love bird. He was stuck in the back of the pet store my sister co-oped at (totaly disagree with pet stores and never shop at one ) but when my sister told me about him being back there all alone and scared I had to go get him.

He was terrified of people and boy did he bite, but after about a month of working with him and being with him from the time I got out of bed till the time I crawled back in ( he stayed in my shirt pocket, on the left side so he could hear my heart beat, it calms them) he is the sweetest, lovable bird in the wold.

When you get the lovebirds make sure they are hand raised, that way they are friendly and not affraid of people and most importantly they won't bite :)

They are easy to take care of, they eat love bird mix and fruit and veggies. They need lots of toys because they are active and easily bored.

You are really going to enjoy them, they are great pets.

Here is a pic of my little devil, he is sitting with his buddy peaches a rescued dove.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/Uz/zu/uj/X965362.jpg
Sorry its a little blurry

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: ilovehounds ]

Edwina's Secretary
07-10-2001, 03:19 PM
Take a look at the web site referenced on today's Pet of the Day!

laXgrrl5
07-10-2001, 10:46 PM
Well, all I can say is, make sure you get a big cage...Lovebirds are very active...and also very susceptible to diseases from what I've heard and read. But don't let that scare you off.

Generally, two lovebirds won't bond to you. They'll bond to each other. :-(

Daisy's Mom
07-11-2001, 12:35 AM
Thank you for the information, everyone! Now I have another question... should you get one or two? I have read that it doesn't matter and then I read that getting two is a must. Bird experts? :)

AdoreMyDogs
07-11-2001, 07:20 AM
Bridgett I know alot about birds, both good and bad qualities.

If the birds are babies you should get just one bird. If you get 2 birds they will bond to each other and you will simply be a chew stick! It is a myth that love birds will die if they are not sold in pairs. If the birds are already an older bonded pair then they must stay together for the rest of their lives but that applies to most parrot species, as they mate for life.

Yes lovebirds are loud. They have a very shrill scream and some lovebirds like to scream a great deal. Lovebirds also can be nippy. When they bite it really hurts, and they usually take a little triangle shaped piece of skin off. Because lovebirds are often a bit tricky to tame (even the handfed babies) they are seldom sold as pets, but instead sold to people who want them because they match a certain room :(

If you get a lovebird try to get a hand fed baby (a baby that was taken away from mom at just days/weeks old and hand raised by humans). The cost may be double that of an untame or even hand tame bird but you will get a better companion. Lovebirds are usually not the most friendly of the parrots but there are always excpetions. If you wanted a friendly, fun companion bird I suggest a hand fed cockatiel instead. They are adorable, they are far less shrill with their screams, they can learn to talk easily, especially the males, they are more interactive and childlike, and they enjoy and crave being around people more. Cockatiels (and cockatoos) are like the golden retriever of parrots. Lovebirds are like the terrier or feral cat of parrots.

Sorry to give you negetive info about lovebirds, but I want you to know both sides of owning lovebirds so you know what you are getting yourselfs into. I have seen so many lovebirds returned because they bite and scream and the owners are terrified of them. I have seen some handfed cockatiels returned but only because the owners did not have time for them, regardless of how sweet they were. And if you do get a lovebird or a cockatiel make sure you get a huge cage and load it with toys, and rotate toys on a regular basis to prevent the birds from boredom.

If you have any other questions feel free to post them or email me. I am not a pro but I have alot of knowledge of lots of differernt birds, temperments, health, size, trainability, and so on.

ilovehounds
07-11-2001, 01:08 PM
If you want it as a nice pet I would go with just one. I have just one and my friend has just one and they make a much better pet. My friends bird is more of a pet then mine but mine had a bad histroy hers didn't. Her lovebird knows tricks it even pretends to floss his teeth it is soooo cute, all it wants to do is be with someone and sit on thier sholder. One bird defenitly makes a better pet.

They can be mouthy but its not that bad, if you need some quiet time just cover the cage and they will stay quiet. On really nice days when there is no breeze I will put his cage outside and he sits and talks to all the wild birds, its his fave thing to do.

All I can say is do your research and if you think a lovebird fits into your lifestyle then get one :D

Daisy's Mom
07-11-2001, 01:59 PM
Wow you guys are so full of information it astonishes me! Hehe! AdoreMyDogs I will ask my mom about a cockatiel instead. I had two budgies once and they hated me. They bit and squawked any time I went near them. I used to open their cage door to ask them to come out and they wouldn't. I got them right after my loveable little hamster died to fill the void but they didn't. I remember going to bed crying because they hated me! I don't want that again. So I will ask about a cockatiel. Wish me luck :)

AdoreMyDogs
07-11-2001, 03:41 PM
Something I recommend is going to a specialty pet store that has lots of knowledgs of parrots and look at the handfed babies. Let a bird pick you. Lovebirds are so beautiful but you know that animals tend to pick their owners, so go in with an open mind and let a bird pick you, regardless of the species! That's how it usually ends up anyway as you well know :) Hope your mom is not too set on lovebirds simply because they are pretty because she may be dissapointed by the temperment once the bird is all mature and it's true self comes out.

Be sure and keep us posted on the outcome...and pics, I want pics!!! :D :D :D

Congrats on the bird! If I did not have these dreaded alergies I would get myself a cockatiel, but I don't want to go through the trauma of rehoming a bird again!

tatsxxx11
07-22-2001, 07:36 AM
Hi Bridget! I haven't had a bird since I was a little child. But I just adore them; peach faced lovebirds are so beautiful! Looks like you're getting lots of great advice. Can't wait to hear how it all turns out. You are such a wonderful, responsible fur/feather mom! I know you'll research everything to the max! How exciting! Can't wait for pics!!! Sandra

Freckles
08-31-2001, 08:25 AM
Bridget, now that we have Daisy's bumps figured out, I'll ask;
Did you finally decide on the right bird/s?

Daisy's Mom
08-31-2001, 09:20 PM
Hi! No, Mom and I are still in limbo about it! She apparently doesn't know if we should get a bird anymore... grrrr! I did, however, manage to get her over to the bird section in Petco and she really loved them, which is, I guess, a step in the right direction, right? Well I will keep up my begging and tell you when and if my mom ever comes to a decision :)