PDA

View Full Version : The cat that got an MBA

jonza
12-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Online School gives Cat an MBA :D

By MARK SCOLFORO
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - The Pennsylvania attorney general's office Monday sued an online university for allegedly selling bogus academic degrees - including an MBA awarded to a cat.

Trinity Southern University in Texas, a cellular company and the two brothers who ran them are accused of misappropriating Internet addresses of the state Senate and more than 60 Pennsylvania businesses to sell fake degrees and prescription drugs by spam e-mail, according to the lawsuit.

Investigators paid $299 for a bachelor's degree for Colby Nolan - a deputy attorney general's 6-year-old black cat - claiming he had experience including baby-sitting and retail management.

The school, which offers no classes, allegedly determined Colby Nolan's resume entitled him to a master of business administration degree; a transcript listed the cat's course work and 3.5 grade-point average.

The state is seeking a permanent injunction, civil penalties, costs and restitution for violating consumer law and restrictions on unsolicited e-mail ads.

Prosecutors said more than 18,000 illegal e-mails were sent out this year with links to Trinity Southern's Web address, including 300 that appeared to originate from the Internet servers of Pennsylvania companies and institutions.

Among the alleged victims are Penn State University and the University of Pennsylvania, as well as numerous Internet service providers, businesses and technology companies.

The defendants are the school; Innovative Cellular and Wireless Inc. of Corpus Christi, Texas; Alton Scott Poe of St. Cloud, Fla., vice chancellor and dean of admission for Trinity; and Craig Barton Poe of Frisco, Texas, president of Innovative Cellular.

A phone message left at Trinity Southern was not returned Monday. None of the other three defendants appears to have a listed or published phone number.

Trinity Southern: http://www.trinitysouthernuniversity.org

ramanth
12-28-2004, 12:28 PM
That is one smart kitty! :D

Wonder if he'd babysit my brood. ;) :D

smokey the elder
12-28-2004, 01:23 PM
Brings to mind the bumper sticker, "My cat is smarter than your honors student!"

Cinder & Smoke
12-28-2004, 01:30 PM
:cool:

PA's AG is pretty good at "goin after" scammers, crooks, and
now internet "junque mailers". :)

Back in the *ole daze* when all the Junque Mail came in the MAIL,
I had a *Brane Ph@rt* and filled out a survey or questionnaire
with "Fred C. M*****" ("C" for Cat) as the respondent...

She got her "prize" :D - some worthless piece of junque that
she DID enjoy playing with by <batting> it around the house.

The Real "prize" was that the company must have sold "her" address
to every other Junque Mailer on the PLANET! :mad:

"Fred M." started gettin SO much "stuff" in the mail that the
Rural Carrier stopped one Saturday and asked me WHO was "Fred"!??

When I asnwered that it was "da KAT";
she gave me a :rolleyes: look and said she hoped "da KAT" enjoyed
all her notariety!

I will admit - we DID get some "interesting" :p product samples
along with some once-in-a-liftime :rolleyes: special offers!
"Fred" (who's been at the RB :( for almost 15 years) STILL
continues to receive "offers" and the occasional Tele-Marketer call!

I combat the MAIL junque mail by taking EVERYTHING they send,
folding it up, stuffing it into their return envelope
(as long as it's pre-stamped or "postage will be paid by addressee"),
and Sending it BACK to them!
You'd be **AMAZED** at how many don't *get the HINT* and
send it BACK with a note saying I "forgot" to fill in a blank or two!
Gud GRIEF! Are you dense!?? ...
<Fold> <Fold> <Fold> <cram> <lick> <RETURN> :p

Wonder if I should sign Boots up?
Where do I put my Paw-Print, Dad?
Rite here on the line under "B. Kat"?

:D

Barbara
12-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Knowing quite some MBAs I would award that title rather to any of my cats:D (I know they are the most beautiful but I never said tehy are the most intelligent:D )

Mandy1
12-28-2004, 03:05 PM
haha. What a smart cat. Maybe he could help me babysit sometime :p

RICHARD
12-28-2004, 06:44 PM
Cat with an MBA???

I know a few MBAs that don't have the have the brains to cover their own turds.

------------------------------------

LOLOLOL at Phred.

One day I went to the mail box and saw that Juan Valdez got some mail at my house.

Who the hell is Juan Valdez????
:confused:

http://www.juanvaldez.com/menu/advertising/juan.html

I forgot that I had used Mr Valdez as my "Nom de Sign-up".

Mr Valdez is a valued member of my household...He has brought in some valuable coupons from time to time, stuffs envelopes for donations, surveys and stuff like that--but he's a little shy-
Imagine the surprise should anyone find out they are dealing with a ficticious person.

:confused: ;)

DJFyrewolf36
12-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Ive gotten mail for a Mr. Remus K. Maru before...
He usually just sniffs at it and sticks it in his litterbox (One time he actually took a pecie of junk mail and dropped it in his box...smart cat!)
Before the place shuts down, maybe I should get him his MBA too lol! He'd get it before I'd get one :P
LOL Richard :D