PDA

View Full Version : Ok, this is just gross!

anna_66
12-28-2004, 08:00 AM
How do I even start a thread like this:o

Well ok, here goes...

The other day we caught Bon eating Roxey's poo
fresh stuff and the hard stuff:rolleyes: Of course I go
outside to see if that was what he was really doing. I
held his head up and looked at his mouth...yep, some
brown stuff on the side of his mouth
Know how they say the hand is quicker than the eye?
Well so is the tongue! He gave me a big ol' lick right on
the mouth....GROSS!!

So any wayI talked to a lady at the pet store yesterday
and theyhad some kind of pills you can give them. It's like1
pill for every 10 pounds. So this means I'd have to give
her at least 6 pills/day! And I'm not too keen on the sprinkle stuff as Roxey eats her food out of a ball and Huney just eats whatever (some out of Roxey's ball and some out of Bons bowl).

Has any one else had this type of problem or is my boy
just strange?!

Oh and btw I feed all of them Diamond Dog food.

Thanks for any info you can give me on this gross topic!

pitc9
12-28-2004, 08:11 AM
Yuck is right!!!!:eek:

Buddy was eating his own poo for awhile, never Sierra's, just his own:o .

I started giving him chewable pills to make him stop eating it, but I also was out in the yard everyday making sure to leave no piles in the yard. So really, I guess I don't know if it was the pills that made him stop, or the fact that I didn't leave anything out there for him to much on! But I don't clean the yard as often anymore, and he doesn't do it anymore either!! Good Luck!!
Maybe the chewable ones would work for the girls!

RobiLee
12-28-2004, 08:31 AM
Oh Anna, I didn't know this was still going on. I'm not laughing this time. I promise. Although Alden and I did find the "you know what" lick quite funny. ;) :p

Katie had this problem when she was a pup. She would turn right around and eat her own poo. I'm not for sure how we got her to stop. I remember that we used the Forbid powder in her food but that didn't seem to help alot. If I remember right we had to just keep a close eye on her when she went out and after she did her business we had to tell her "No" and scoop it up. She eventually just stopped doing it.

I understand why you wouldn't want to put any of this stuff on the girls' food. It would be kind of difficult with the way they eat. Plus its not their problem and I wouldn't want to disrupt their eating habits. Oh man, my best advice is to bundle up and get out there and pick up the poo everytime one of them goes....Brrrrr!!

Maybe one of the pros here will have some good pointers for ya.

Hugs....Robin :)

chocolatepuppy
12-28-2004, 08:56 AM
I've been there! Yes cute lil Mandy loves dog poop! :p We tried the sprinkle on the food stuff and we had to put it on Laceys food too and she wasn't doing it (Lacey just likes cat poo, but that's another story) It only seemed to help for a few days and she was right back at it.
I keep the yard cleaned up as good as possible, but it gets dark so early and is dark when I go to work in the winter. Our problem was solved when Mandy had to be leashed because of her heart. She will however lead me right to a pile I missed! And I watch so she doesn't gulp it up!:eek: Good luck, it's a disgusting problem, but the dogs don't think so! ;)

ParNone
12-28-2004, 08:56 AM
Hi Anna!

I've never tried this, but over on the Cairn list, they swear by Licorice. There's something in the licorice that breaks down once it's digested, that is unappetizing. You just give one piece of licorice to each dog a day and supposedly that'll stop the problem. And on the plus side, they'll feel like they're getting an extra treat.

Par...

anna_66
12-28-2004, 09:16 AM
Just wondering...did it matter if the licorice was black or red?

Kfamr
12-28-2004, 10:49 AM
:o :eek: :o :eek:

I know both of my girls liked playing with and eating poop.
Neither of them do it anymore, so I guess they both just grew out of it, cause I didn't do much other than say "NO!" when they tried to do it.

sammy101
12-28-2004, 10:56 AM
Kodie still does that!:eek: :eek: :o ,lol sometimes he'll it poo thats not even his on the walkway!!:o :eek: yuck is right!
Im sure that he'll grow out of it,hopefully,,Kodie hasnt grown out of it and he's 17 months old:p :rolleyes:

lizbud
12-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Anna,

Welcome to the club.:D Although Buddy never did this, Smokey
did. He would even fling it around the yard like a ball,:D Grossed
me out completely when I first saw it. I just started scooping the
yard twice a day or as needed. He did grow out of it after a
while. Never ate the fresh poop, only the older hard poops.:p

Once I started scooping more often, Smokey lost interest &
now he might sniff and just move on.:)

Pit Chick
12-28-2004, 11:44 AM
And I thought my foster pup was just retarded. Though I still wonder. :o I don't think he really discriminates against hard or soft, though I think the softer they are the faster he is able to inhale them. :rolleyes:

Licorice huh? Sounds like something to at least try. Guess I'll be spending my day off scooping the backyard and doling out licorice.

(man that's a big backyard and a lot of dogs) :eek:

Wolffffman
12-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Kitana had that problem as a pup but we either trained her off it or she just grew out of it.....now she and Asia both try to get to the cat box to eat Neptune's leavings.....a few of my past dogs also did this....cat poop must be like candy *barf* lol

Cinder & Smoke
12-28-2004, 11:55 AM
:p

Bon is another Tootsie Roll Conna-SEWER, huh?
:eek: Ewwwww! :p

Most pups seem to be "poop eaters" :( but can be trained out
of the nasty habit.

Start teaching him to "LEAVE IT!!" -
which most trainers use as a universal command
meaning "WhatEVER you're doing, STOP IT!!!"

Use very small, "Tasty" treats...
Set several down, one at a time, and allow him to <munch> them;
then set one down, say "LEAVE IT!", and cover it with your hand;
then lead him away.
Now give him a treat from your HAND and pick up the "leave it" treat.
<Repeat> (often)!

Some folks also use "Leave It" to also mean "Stay Away From" -
as in "ignore" another dog or person.

First Shepherd Casey (RB :( ) got so good at "Leave it" that I
used it to teach her tricks...

For "Hold It" (treat balanced on her nose) - she had to <flip> the treat
and <catch it> before she could eat it.
For "Catch It" she had to "Back Up & SIT";
then <catch> a tossed treat.
If she *missed* (treat hitting the ground) -
she would <pick it up> and <give it back> into my hand and try again.
"Leave It!" was used to prevent her from gobbling up a *missed* catch! :D

Casey... ONCE in a lifetime!
Miss ya, Girl!! ;)

Miranda_Rae
12-28-2004, 11:56 AM
EWW!!! :eek: I've have always thought that that was just disgusting. Luckily I have a dog who could care less about her poo or any other dogs pooh. Cats and rabbits is a different story. :rolleyes: Fortunately she never gets around those so, yay for me! :p I hope you find something to fix that problem.

Cincy'sMom
12-28-2004, 12:18 PM
We've been there too!! Sadie is our resident poo picker...

We basically did what Phred described...taught her leave it. She also got a spray of Bitter Apple in the mouth when she got caught in the act. I still have to watch her now, if my mom's dogs are visiting...she now seems to only eat the poo that "doean't belong there"

Pit Chick
12-28-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
if my mom's dogs are visiting...she now seems to only eat the poo that "doean't belong there"

She must like their brand ;)

QueenScoopalot
12-28-2004, 12:28 PM
Ughhh...please don't remind me of Greta's fondness for "poopsicles"! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Only in the Winter will she eat them, and half the time I can't even get them picked up from the snow. A big girl like her melts poop into the snow fast. Such lady-like behaviour.:rolleyes: She attempts to bring them inside sometimes too. NOT ALLOWED!! :o It doesn't matter who they belong to, Greta doesn't care unless they're frozen. :rolleyes:

shais_mom
12-28-2004, 12:30 PM
Definately not the only one that has that problem as you can see!:)
Bon just hasta be a puppy!
;)
Keegan has never done it - but Shaianne did - I bought the pills from drsfostersmith.com and she stopped.
GOOD LUCK
ickkky Licky!
;)

lovemyshiba
12-28-2004, 01:35 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've got some munchers here too. It seems they only do it in the winter, when they are frozen. Abbey has brought a couple in the house too, talk about gross:o

I've looked into those pills too, and it seems like an awful lot to give them-and do you have to give it to them forever? or just until the "problem" goes away??

All I've done for it is telling them no, and keeping my eye on them at all times outside, and cleaning the yard. It's hard in the winter, and they may get one here or there, but that's the only thing that works for me.

I believe there was a thread about this before (I may even have started it), and someone recommended pineapple. I'll have to dig it up.

Licorice sounds interesting too--I'm wondering if it's red or black??

Here's the old post:

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43341&highlight=pineapple

Scroll down to Clara's response

jenfer
12-28-2004, 03:45 PM
Welcome to the club. :D
Gigi eats her poo too. I think she still does, but I don't let her proof it to me, I picked it up as soon as she pooed. think of it this way: the poo is just undigested food, so it sort of make sense they want to eat it. But it's still yucky. I tried those powder thingy, it didn't seems to work.

KYS
12-28-2004, 06:16 PM
Rocky was a horrible poop eater.
He would run after Sheba when she was pooping
and barely would wait for her poop to hit the ground.
(I guess he liked his fresh) lol
I put this over the counter stuff in Sheba's food,
but I stopped because
it did not agree with her.

Our Vet said Rocky would grow out of it, and just
for me to clean up the poop everytime the dogs go.
(which was about 2 times a day)
So that is what I did and sure enough Rocky did
grow out of this disgusting habit.

If I recall you have snow so Bon must like
poopcicles. ;)

anna_66
12-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Yep Karen, he likes his "poopcicles" alright, but seem like he likes the fresh ones even better:rolleyes:

He does the same thing you said Rocky did...follows right behind her and waits for her to go.

Unfortunately the snow in the back yard is still mostly knee or waist high so picking up the poop just isn't an option at the moment. I don't think I could get to it faster than he could:o

Thanks for all the info everyone:) Glad to know Bon's not the only poo coniseur (sp?) around here:p

senorita02
12-28-2004, 11:11 PM
My sisters German Sheperd eats her own poo, the vet said she would eventually grow out of it, and she has, but not totally, she still does it once in a while. Also my Border Collie when i was growing up ate only her poo when it was frozen, we called it poopsicles. :D
Sorry i have no answers for you, but i guess it is normal for some dogs. ;)

countrygirl09
12-29-2004, 12:17 AM
There is a product called For-Bid I know that you are not to keen about sprinkle on stuff but this stuff worked for me , I don't remember exactly how it works but we gave it to our dog and he stopped, and i don't think it is very expensive

ParNone
12-29-2004, 08:23 AM
Hi Anna!

I believe it's the black, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Does the red taste licoricey?

Par...