PDA

View Full Version : Dixie needs prayers

lizzielou742
12-27-2004, 06:51 PM
My family's dog - the dog we've had since I was 9 years old - is not doing well. Her name is Dixie and she's 14 years old. She'll be 15 this May. Dixie has been really shaky the past few months, and has been having dizzy spells, and his practically deaf and half blind. Lately, every time I go home to see my parents (I live about three hours away now), I make sure to spend extra special time with Dixie - because I never know which time will be the last time I get to see her.

Last night, Dixie had a series of what my dad described as strokes. He gave me all the details, but I'll just say Dad did not think Dixie would make it through the night. After about four hours, she finally fell asleep, and Dad put her in her dog bed, next to his, fully expecting her to be gone when he woke up. He woke up this morning and Dixie was sitting at the end of the bed, waiting to go outside, like she does every morning, like nothing had happened. He said she's been falling down more than usual today - so he's going to keep her confined to one level of the house when he's not home - but otherwise she "seems" OK.

I know this is probably the last chapter in her life. I would really appreciate it if everyone could keep Dixie in their thoughts. She's my puppy. My little brother and I begged for a dog for years, and my parents let us get her in 1990, when I was 9 and he was 8. I'm 23 now, and he's 22. It's so sad to even think about her being so old....and to think that I'm not there to hold her just breaks my heart. I saw her over Thanksgiving, and I'm going home Saturday to try and see her again.

I know this has turned into a ramble, and I'm sorry. Here is a picture of my baby Dixie Doodle. I love her so much. :(

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid136/p549f9c381b4917d608dc8c233f3cc3fc/f74c73cd.jpg

caseysmom
12-27-2004, 06:57 PM
Sorry to hear about Dixie...sounds like your family has given her
a great life.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-27-2004, 06:59 PM
I am so sorry:( I'll be keeping Dixie, you and your family in my thoughts.

lizzielou742
12-27-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks, guys. I feel really guilty posting this, asking for prayers, when I hardly ever have time to post in Dog General at all...but I'm just so upset right now, and I appreciate you all thinking of her very much. Anyway, thanks for understanding. :)

Mandy1
12-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Prayers on the way for Dixie. She's a beautiful dog.

aly
12-27-2004, 08:03 PM
Oh Liz :( I am so sorry. This reminds me so much of when I lost my Dessi girl. I also had begged and begged for a dog my whole life. I finally got her when I was 9 and we lost her when I was in college. It was so hard :( She had a wonderful life though, as I'm sure Dixie has. I know that doesn't make it any easier, but I hope that can at least be of some comfort :(

I will be thinking of you and sweet Dixie and holding you both in my prayers.

dukedogsmom
12-27-2004, 08:08 PM
What a sweet dog. I know how you feel. It kills me to see Duke getting so old. I am fortunate that I am with him, though. I hope you get to see her again before it's time for her to leave this world. Give her a special hug from me.

Kater
01-16-2005, 01:31 AM
I've been thinking about your sweet Dixie Doodle and wonder how she is doing.
Please update us when you can! :)

RobiLee
01-16-2005, 07:40 AM
My heart goes out to you and Dixie. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

Robin

lizzielou742
01-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Thanks for remembering, guys. I saw Dixie over New Year's weekend. She has really awful balance - like she'll just be standing there and all of a sudden, for no reason, she'll fall over. She did it right in front of me once...it's pretty scary to see. She's shaky and a bit stiff and weak. But, as far as I know (my dad probably doesn't tell me everything for fear of upsetting me), she hasn't had anymore seizure or stroke-type incidents in the last two weeks. I still think, however, it's only a matter of time. :( But my dad is seeing to it that she is being plenty spoiled and is very comfortable right now. :) He's also keeping her safe - keeping her away from stairs, monitoring her a lot. I got a few pictures of her while I was home, and was able to cuddle a bit with her, talk to her, and I brought her a few soft treats. :) Thanks again for thinking about my Dixie. :)

TrixiesMom
01-16-2005, 08:48 PM
I know, it hard... We age but we never remember that our pets do as well until it's evident and symptoms of 'old age' appear =(

Trixie is thinking of her =)

cyber-sibes
01-16-2005, 09:09 PM
So glad you got to go see Dixie again, and we'll put her in our prayers. She's a lovely girl!

4 Dog Mother
01-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Prayers for you, your family and Dixie coming your way!