PDA

View Full Version : what do you think?

caseysmom
12-27-2004, 02:10 PM
As some of you know I just got a new puppy...he is 9 weeks old. I already have a 4 1/2 year old 38 pound female dog named casey. She has severe fear issues, she is even afraid of the new puppy.

My question is this...out in the family room casey sniffs him and seems to tolerate him okay, when he runs back to the back of the house where her bed is she growls. He is sort of a pesky little guy...tries to play with her and she will not engage in play at all.

So ...should I try to get them together or just leave it alone? My daughter gets upset when I put them together to get use to each other I guess she is scared that casey will bite.

I think when we can walk them together it will be great because when I walk her sometimes my daughter comes along with the puppy in her jacket and casey jumps up and sniffs him but I am not suppose to walk him until he has all the shots.

aly
12-27-2004, 02:55 PM
Try to get them used to being around each other in the living room and maybe the backyard on leashes. Casey has her safe zone (back of the house) and should be able to be there without the puppy. That way she always has somewhere she can run to feel safe. She growls at the puppy when he goes back there probably because she feels cornered and there is nowhere else she can run to feel safe from him.

I'm sure this will all be a distant memory soon and they'll become the best of friends! :) Good luck! Let us know if you have any other questions.

caseysmom
12-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Thanks! Thats what I think...the spca had a handout about the growling thing being okay, I am concerned because when I adopted casey from the shelter the owners had surrendered her because she didn't get along with their other dog. I am hoping that since we had her for over a year she will be the boss with the new puppy. I think her other owners where jerks, she is a great dog she is just different and needs to be understood.

aly
12-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Yes, it sounds like you're doing everything right. And don't worry, it is normal to be worried or nervous about your baby getting along with the new dog.

I've seen so many cases where people say a dog is dog aggressive, but its actually not true at all. Sometimes they didn't introduce them properly, sometimes a dog only likes certain other dogs, and sometimes they just didn't give it enough of a chance. A lot of people get scared when growling happens, but it is perfectly normal dog communication. It is much better to give that growling as a warning instead of just going straight for a bite. As long as the puppy will listen to Casey's warnings, she won't have to bite. Just watch them closely and give Casey lots of breaks from the little guy.

Lolly growls at my foster puppies all the time and she ends up teaching them a lot of manners :)

caseysmom
12-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Its funny because my brother brought his male westie over who is mr easy going and the puppy was afraid of him...no growls or anything...maybe because he is male I don't know but it was funny.