PDA

View Full Version : I need help.....with my horse

countrygirl09
12-26-2004, 03:11 PM
I have a horse that is three yrs old and i have always messed with her tying her up and everything ever since we weaned her but now everytime Itie her up she goes crazy. What should I do??

Desert Arabian
12-26-2004, 06:52 PM
A lot of horses are afraid to be tied up, because they know they are tied up and have almost no chance of getting away if something should happen. Most of the horses at the horse camp I volunteer at are afraid to be tied, especially Sundance (because she was abused). We leave a good amount of slack (but not TOO much) and wrap it around the (horizontal) post only once and don't even tie it so if they freak out, the rope loosens up and they think they aren't tied, then they stop pulling and freaking out. We also give them treats while they are tied up like little pieces of carrots.

countrygirl09
12-29-2004, 12:08 AM
Thank you for you reply i am working unstopped to try to help her but i thnk i figured out why she freaks out after doing some thinking. A year ago her mom got shot in the pasture by our neighbor who was hunting on our land. When the vet came out we had to tie her and the other horses up for the wouldn't bother her mom.....Thanks for your reply

Lexi_Lover
01-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Was the mom ok:confused: :eek: :confused: :eek:

That way has proven very effective by some horses that have been scared or frightened of being tied up, some horses at Pinto Valley are tied like that, but now I know why, I not only checked here but I asked them as well! :D