PDA

View Full Version : If you had your ideal pet what would it be? Why?

Eudora
07-04-2001, 09:23 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm conscious that there are a lot of different animal lovers out there, and i'd like to know more! :) If you had your way and ahd your ideal pet what would it be, what breed, what colour, what age even, and why? For me, I think it is a Golden Labrador one-year-old pup. I really want one! :) Get back to me and tell me more OK?

Daisy's Mom
07-04-2001, 11:28 PM
I am lucky enough to actually own my ideal pet. Daisy, my Basset Hound! She is 2 years old, black, white, and brown, and simply perfect for me :) She is beautiful, funny, and quite entertaining. What more could you ask for!?

Eudora
07-06-2001, 05:38 AM
Hi! You are lucky to have your dream pet. May she bring you more joy everyday adn entertain you for a long, long ,LONG time! ;)

Logan
07-06-2001, 07:14 AM
I agree with Bridget. I am very satisfied with my little family, just like it is. Of course, a little attitude correction for Butter the cat might be in order in the "ideal world"!! :p

Buddy2101
07-06-2001, 02:48 PM
dog
Newfoundland
3 months old
Black
Becasue I think Newfoundlands are sweet dogs and I have always wanted a dog that loved water. I also hear they are good with kids so I think they are great all around exept that they are Extra large dogs. But I have always wanted big dogs!

Eudora
07-06-2001, 10:37 PM
That's nice to know... you have a cute signature, Buddy2101. :)

crow_noir
07-10-2001, 01:59 AM
my ideal pet would be a canadian timber wolf. i have been researching wolves since i was about eight years old. they are my most favorite animal on the planet.
secondly would be a shepherd-wolf mix. i have met several wolf dogs and loved almost every sigle one of them. they are so unlike any dog breed out there. if it weren't for current legislation in my state a shepherd wolf mix would defintly be my next dog. for me there is nothing better in the world. its all about how they love and play. and how they are so gentle. (as w/ any breed there are exceptions. and this is DEFINTLY not a dog for everyone, nor for amatures.)

but defintly, the ideal pet for me is a wolf or wolf dog.
color doesn't matter as long as it is a good and healty animal. i would prefer to have a male. age doesn't matter much, though i prefer adult dogs. but for the purpose of bonding, i'd want to get a three or four week pup (and for that matter i'd want the mom too. i hate the thought of seperating them so young!)

Eudora
07-10-2001, 05:24 AM
Where are you from anyway?? cool pet though... :cool:

laXgrrl5
07-10-2001, 09:21 AM
Well, there's so many different animals that I'd like. But mostly, I'd really, really want a little, 1 week old White chinese Gosling. I had one, but when I got her, she was 3 weeks old. Now I want a lil yellow fluffy bundle of love.

If I couldn't have that, I'd want a Scarlet Macaw. When I was a little girl, I received a scarlet for a birthday present from a friend of my dad's, who knew I loved that bird. So I got Giggles. He was 8 years old, and since the breeder was moving away, he couldn't take him with him. He was more of a pet bird, and hadn't been used in breeding.

I had him for a year, from when I was 8 until I was 9, then my aunt, who was a school teacher, borrowed him for a class. While we were setting up his cage, his travelling cage, a large carrying dog box, made for a full-grown german shephard, sat on the table. He was inside of it, cuddling on one of the perches with a birdie stuffie.

My two cousins came in, aged 7 and 6, and in with them came a friend, 7 years old. In with them came their 3 cats, all full grown tomcats. They sprung the cage's lock and killed Giggles before he could get out. =**(

Daisy's Mom
07-10-2001, 10:20 AM
Misha that's a horrible story! I am so sorry about your scarlet. They are such beautiful birds. Do you have any pets now?

crow_noir
07-11-2001, 09:46 PM
I'm sooooo sorry to hear that Misha!!! :(

crow_noir
07-11-2001, 09:51 PM
to Eudora: where am I from? i'm from Michigan (U.S.A.)(<---sarcastic "Yeah!") born and raised here. and love the state so much. (all the wonderful trees and different season changes.)

....why? :confused: lol :)

Eudora
07-12-2001, 08:00 AM
Oh... I just wanted to know because I found it strange that your state does not allow you to keep some breeds of dogs... that's all!
:)

laXgrrl5
07-12-2001, 09:28 AM
crow_noir and Daisy's Mom:

Thank you for your concern. I do, in fact, have quite a few pets now, and I'm saving up to get either another scarlet or blue and gold macaw.

I've currently got Java, my pearl cockatiel, who's beginning to talk. Chevy, my ancient bull terrier, Blizzie and Lucky the goose and gander of the white chinese breed, and Stormy, the Hedgie.

DogFan77
07-12-2001, 11:53 AM
I have my ideal pet..... Tiger the Schnauzer.

AmberLee
07-12-2001, 01:10 PM
Like you all, my current family is my family of dreams. (But I've got to admit when I read any of the Dragonriders of Pern series, I also dream of having my own telepathic dragon. :D I wonder if Cassy and Livvy would be any more open to dragon rides than car rides, hmm? :eek: ;) Aren't dreams fun?)

A.L.

AdoreMyDogs
07-12-2001, 01:40 PM
Ohhh...I'd LOVE a dragon :) After all of the dragon movies I have seen (the latest being Shrek) a dragon ride would be the BEST!!! :D Also, in the movie "The Never Ending Story" I don't remember the name of the big dog/dragon that carried Sebastian through Forgotton Land would be GREAT! When I saw that movie as a kid, I so wanted one of those flying dragon/dog creatures so badly :)

A pegasus would also be really something :)

Yes, it is fun to dream :)

crow_noir
07-13-2001, 01:20 AM
Eudora: there are actually alot of states over here that have breed specific bans. mostly on pitt type dogs, rottweilers, or boxers. there are others, but those are the most popular on the list. alot of us wonder why can't they just use vicious dog laws and enforce them. that's why many of us on the pet boards will say "judge by deed, not by breed!" i geuss alot of countries are fighting the breed ban. i herad some countries are down to just over 100 dog breeds to choose from, from 444. really sad. some groups are using the breed banning as a tool to eradicate domestic pets. (such as PETA and The Humane Society Of the United States.)(don't get me wrong, i love the humane society for all the good they do, but i will not forgive them for this.)

Misha: i used to have some budgies. since then i found out i'm allergic to feathers. however, i would like to get another blue male someday. or maybe a dusky conure. i love the colorful huge tropical birds, but they are just not for me. on the "exotic" side (not to me) i also am considering getting a crow.
i'm glad you have happinesss w/ your present pets.

Amber Lee and All: ooooooh. i've wanted a pet dragon for years. they are so beautiful. i think i like the pern type the best too. i wish i could remember the name of another series i found. i think you all would enjoy it. it's more for children, but still really good. ("talking to dragons" was one of the four book series.) has anyone seen the "ugly bird" in the movie Evolution? it is sooooo cool!

Adore my Dogs: wow, i thought i'd remember his name by the time i got down here. all i can remember though it that he was a luck dragon. (jeese, it just passed behind my eyes again! it's right there!)

AdoreMyDogs
07-13-2001, 08:17 AM
Hi Crow...

Yes...a luck dragon, I forgot about that. And I just looked up what his name was because it was bugging me, and his name was Falkor :) And the boys' name was Atreyu.

That was one of my favorite movies as a kid! Even though it was a little scary when I was young, it was still really good.

Eudora
07-13-2001, 09:09 AM
I agree with you and everybody else, crow_noir. Go my deed, not by breed! shall be my motto when I deal with dogs. Anyway... we're kinda wandering from topic... sorry for starting that in the first place..
Misha: I hope you get your birds soon! :)

Eudora
07-13-2001, 09:10 AM
OOPS! shoulda been Go by deed not by breed! sorry evryone
:D :o

Daisy's Mom
07-14-2001, 12:42 AM
Oh a pet dragon! That would be so much fun! And I can't help but want a pet owl when I read about Harry Potter and his... Snowball, was it? :)

Eudora
07-14-2001, 09:15 AM
:o Erm... I think it's Hedwig. I have everything so I should know!!! And.. yeah, an owl would be pretty cool! It could even carry letters for you..... :cool:

AdoreMyDogs
07-14-2001, 11:07 PM
...but it could also carry howlers!!! Harry Potter books are the best! I have the series, and have read them all twice :)

Daisy's Mom
07-15-2001, 12:33 AM
Ah Hedwig! Right. I read all 4 books within my two-week vacation last year! I love them!

Eudora
07-16-2001, 08:38 AM
yup! Anyway... anyone know when the fifth book is coming out? :confused: We won't get it in S'pore until quite late after you americans and British have received it though.

goody2shoes
07-16-2001, 12:10 PM
For me it would be a gray and white horse. It would be a mare. I would want her to be 2 years old (just old enogh to ride) I would name her "Baby, I'm Just A Little Angel", but call her Angel for short. She would be a Thoroughbred.

horse_1987
07-16-2001, 02:28 PM
i also own my ideal pet, my 3 year old palomino filly. i couldn't have asked for a better horse, we go through some pretty rough moments (she recently had a bucking problem) but, she is still a baby and doesn't really know anything (thats my excuse for the 7 falls i've taken off her) . I promised i'd never sell her. we have a very strong bond that noone can break. next year will be her first show season as well as mine. :D

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: horse_1987 ]

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: horse_1987 ]

crow_noir
07-17-2001, 01:49 AM
Horse1987:

have you read or seen anything on Monty Roberts? it could help you understand your horse better. (i suggset this to everyone.)

Eudora
07-17-2001, 09:13 AM
Erm.. who is Monty Roberts? :confused:

horse_1987
07-17-2001, 05:24 PM
I know who Monty Roberts is... hes a horse trainer! one of my favourite trainers is Chris Irwin, i have read all his books.

AmberLee
07-17-2001, 06:24 PM
Dear Eudora,

This isn't exactly an answer to your question :o , but I've signed up at Amazon.com to be notified when they start taking advanced orders for Harry Potter #5; it should be soon. They project the actual publication date as July 2002. It seems like a long wait.

When I was younger among my imaginary playmates were three elephants. Roger was blue, Rover was green, and Fifi was pink. Also a pair of palm sized polar bears whose names escape me now. Both had 26 names in alphabetical order. example: Adam Brian Cedric ... Zebulon and Annabelle Bonnie Cara ... Zarina. It feels like my imagination has atrophied since. I once dreamed of writing books. :( At anyrate I can highly recommend elephants and polar bears as imaginary animal companions!

Daisy's Mom
07-18-2001, 01:21 AM
LOL AmberLee that is the cutest thing I've heard all day :) I used to have an imaginary Cocker Spaniel named Pepper. I had her for about 5 years, and then in third grade, she "ran away." I cried for days! LOL.

Leslie and Eudora... I think the Harry Potter movie comes out this fall!!! :)

crow_noir
07-18-2001, 03:27 AM
Eudora: you have to have seen the Tv specials or actually have met him to get the full effect. i seen a half hour special and cried my eyes out. (i had only been told of the breaking methods of horses, but i knew there had to be a better way.) he is a person who can actually talk to horses. he uses their language to tell them what he wants from them and to find out how they are feeling. one of my most favorite books is one written by him called "Shy Boy" named for the horse it is about. a wild mustange he had ridable in six days. that's from the starting point of choosing the one he wanted on the plain. (this came up upon a challage that there was no way someone could tame a wild mustange by talking to it. so history was made.) i'd have to say Monty Roberts is my #2 hero.
have you tried looking anything up on him on the internet?
i cried when i hear his life story. his dad had beat him because he refused to break horses and suggested that it wasn't right.

why do i get caught up in these things. i suggest people look up something and then i go looking myself.
www.montyroberts.com/ (http://www.montyroberts.com/)
a nice quick summery on him. (great picture too.)

across seas www.montyroberts.co.uk/ (http://www.montyroberts.co.uk/)
starring Kelly Marks
www.petloveshack.com/MontyRoberts.html (http://www.petloveshack.com/MontyRoberts.html)

another view (hey, there are two sides to every story. i try to be fair even when i don't agree.) www.geocities.com/scratchbottom/montyroberts.html (http://www.geocities.com/scratchbottom/montyroberts.html)

another positive one www.bookpage.com/9906bp/monty_roberts.html (http://www.bookpage.com/9906bp/monty_roberts.html)

Wow!!!! *huge sigh* i am not going to edit any of what i just wrote! i have just had my heart torn out and stomped on, spit upon and scraped into a trash barrel. and am so on the edge of tears. http://citizensforjustice.org/monty/

still, at any rate, the world is alot more aware about more humane ways of treating horses. that is the bright side. well, my whole existance just became a shade darker. ok, if anyone wants to start comforting me now would be a good time to start. this is one of the worst moments in my life.

sammi
07-18-2001, 01:22 PM
I don't know anything about this man or horses really but, what devastating news is it true for sure??

horse_1987
07-18-2001, 07:56 PM
crow_noir, i TOTALLY know how you feel,how can they suspect him as bad trainer!! i have been around horses all my life. I have met some horse people that are only in it for the money, and could care less about the animals and how they are treated. When i bought my filly, i was aware that i would need a horse trainer. The lady i hired, many people had suggested. she highly beleives in "understanding" the horse, thinking like they would in certain situations. I think you should also do some research on Chris Irwin.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: horse_1987 ]

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: horse_1987 ]

Jessi
07-18-2001, 09:41 PM
Well Hi everyone!!!
I already own my ideal pet!!!
:D
She is a 7mth old Ferret...
Sable in colour...
Her name is Weasel !!
She is the sweetest and cheekiest and sometimes does things that drive me :mad:
But i love her just the same!!! :p
Love Jessi & the cheeky Weasel

Daisy's Mom
07-19-2001, 01:39 AM
Hi Jessi and Weasel! Welcome to Pet Talk! You'll love it here :)

Eudora
07-19-2001, 09:30 AM
Oh. My. Gosh! He seems like a nice guy, what on earth happened? crow_noir, I know what it is like to have your dreams and your heart trampled and chewed and spit out, believe me. I have had my share of heartbreaks. Anyway, I hope everything will turn out OK.

Jessi
07-19-2001, 09:50 PM
Thanx Daisy's Mom....
Its nice to feel welcomed!!! :D
:eek: Weasels into the cordial (again)

Eudora
07-21-2001, 12:48 AM
Huh? What do you mean by weasels in the cordial? :confused: