PDA

View Full Version : Please help!

Raven
12-25-2004, 02:36 PM
My guinea pig, Honey, won't eat or drink. The toys that she loved so much are now just things that she stares at. I bought her at a pet store when she was 1 year old. She had another owner before that, but they mistreated her. Honey just sits in the corner of her cage, and I'm really worried about her!

Raven
12-26-2004, 11:24 AM
This happened suddenly. One day she was normal, the next day she was kind of slow, and now, she just sits there, in the corner of her cage. She has a pretty big cage, so I don't think she can't move around. She might be lonely. I am looking to get her another female guinea pig to play with, but I have been told that two female guinea pigs often fight. Please help!

Raven
12-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Anybody??

Karen
12-26-2004, 08:55 PM
How old is she? Any changes in her diet or anything else? How long has this been going on?

Logan
12-27-2004, 09:26 AM
I was going to ask the same thing as Karen? Have you tried to give her something different to eat, like lettuce or Kale that might give her the liquids and nutrition she needs? I hope she will be ok. I'd certainly consider getting her to a small animal vet if at all possible to have her checked over.

Logan

Raven
12-27-2004, 11:33 AM
She is now 1 and a half years old. This has been going on for about a week. After this happened, I tried giving her a different kind of guinea pig food and she still won't eat. She loves carrots and alfalfa, but she will not eat them. I am worried that she might starve to death. I will try to get her to a vet, but her cage is pretty big and it won't really fit in the car. I could get a smaller cardboard box to put her in while she's in the car.

chrissycat21
12-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Ok, if she isn't eating this is what you need to do:

Go to the store and buy some baby food. Not mixed vegetables or anything with potatoes, carrot will work. If you have any Vitamin C powder, mix a VERY little amount in with the food. Feed her through a syruinge (sp?) WITHOUT the needle. If she won't take it, force her to eat it.

Since she is over a year, she shouldn't be eating any alfalfa. Get her on timothy hay! Alfalfa has way to much nutrients for her!

How long have you had her for?

Get her to a small animal vet or a vet experienced with guinea pigs. If she won't eat the carrots, try offering her a little bit of apple.

Does she have any signs of being sick other than not eating and drinking? (Crusty eyes, nose, etc.)

Also, force her to drink.

If you can't get baby food mash up 1 banana or boiled carrots with a little water and feed it to her. But don't give her too much banana, it will give her a tummy ache!

If you need any more help just PM me. I went through the same thing with my guinea pig not too long ago (he is ok). Just please get her to a vet soon!

Raven
12-27-2004, 03:56 PM
I have had her for about 6 or 7 months. She has no signs of being sick. She looks normal, but she is a little fatter than usual.

Karen
12-27-2004, 04:04 PM
Has she had any contact with male guinea pigs?

Follow Chrissycats advice meanwhile ...

Mandy1
12-27-2004, 04:33 PM
I hope she's feeling better.

We used to have two female guinea pigs (a looong time ago) they got along fine. I'm sure they wouldn't fight.

Raven
12-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Well, she has had another owner, but that owner put her in the pet store because they didn't want her anymore. I think they had another guinea pig, but I'm not sure if it was male or female. And when I saw her at the pet store, she was in a big cage with three other guinea pigs, and I'm not sure if they where males or females.

Mandy1
12-27-2004, 11:39 PM
Maybe she's pregnant? It defintly is a possibility considering she may have been in a cage with a male guinea pig. Take her to the vet.

Raven
12-28-2004, 07:51 AM
Maybe. We are going to take her to the vet later today. I hope she's not. Poor baby..

Mandy1
12-28-2004, 02:00 PM
Keep us updated :)

Raven
12-28-2004, 04:25 PM
I took her to the vet today and they took an x-ray. She is pregnant. There are 4 bunnies in her stomach now. I wish the owners before me had her spayed, otherwise she wouldn't have to go through this, but I am a little excited for the new bunnies. I am going to keep one so Honey can have one of her babies. I hope this goes smoothly for Honey. She should have her babies sometime in a few months.

~Raven

Mandy1
12-28-2004, 04:30 PM
To bad she wasn't spayed :( Good luck with the bunnies though. What are you going to do with the babies? Please make sure they got to good homes and definitly not to a pet store.

Raven
12-28-2004, 04:32 PM
I will make sure. I think I will give one of the bunnies to my friend. She loves rabbits and has one named Reeses.

Mandy1
12-28-2004, 04:42 PM
That's good. Please check your pm's.

By going to User Cp at the top of the page and then to Private Messages.

Raven
12-28-2004, 06:29 PM
HEY. I JUST REALISED THAT I MADE A BIG MISTAKE! I SAID "THERE ARE 4 BUNNIES IN HER STOMNCH NOW." I MEANT GUINEA PIGS! MY FRIEND HAS A GUINEA PIG NAMED REESES AND SHE LOVES GUINEA PIGS. I CANT BELIEVE I SAID RABBIT! Sorry!

chrissycat21
12-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Make sure to sex all the guinea pigs after they are born, and double check again to make sure that you got it right. You'll have to take all the male babies out of her cage at around 5 or 6 weeks or she will become pregnant again.

Since she is pregnant, keep her on alfalfa hay!

Here are some good sites to take a loot at:

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm - that one is on sexing the guinea pigs. Take a loot at it so you don't get Honey pregant again.

http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm - That page is on breeding. That site is very against breeding, though. But they do have some good tips.

http://www.cavyspirit.com/neutering.htm - That page is on nuetering and spaying. I woudn't suggest spaying Honey, though. Spaying a female is much more complicated than nuetering a male. If you do want to keep her with one of her sons, get the male nuetered, but don't leave him with her, keep him in a different cage until a week or two after the surgery.

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Unplanned - that part of the page is on unplanned litters.

Good luck! Keep us posted!

Raven
12-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Ok.

LabradorLover
01-04-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm sure you already know this but in case you don't.....

Normal Labour should not last long. It can be anywhere between 15 minutes and 40 minutes. There should be very little blood (or none). If there is alot it could mean she punctured her uterous, or the babies are to large to get out. Since she is a "first mom" she may not have any maternal insticts. By the second day she should be cleaning, and helping her babies.

Make sure you seperate the male guinea pigs from the females at six weeks of age. Back to back pregnacies or not good for the health of the mom

Make sure she has a good diet and she is getting plenty of exercise while she is pregnant.She will benefit from extra alfalfa.

If you have any questions please make sure you post them. Someone here will be able to help.

Good luck :D