PDA

View Full Version : My rant for the day

thenamelessone
12-23-2004, 01:39 PM
Censorship… it sucks!!!!

Lets get to the point here; I’m going to rant about censorship…
1.) Hey folks… this is the US here, (I’d love to say this to Bush {for now I will call him Shrub} with the print on this cream pie I’d like to put in his face for the patriot act. But that’s a rant for latter.) and I think that we have this thingy called the first amendment…
2.) Lets be real.. Every one has a different point of view… lets try to learn form our differences, not fight over them.

Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying any old foul mouthed punk brat should shoot his (or her {and any age can be a punk brat}) fat mouth off, but if hit the censorship button we are in the wrong. So lets not bleep every post, Internet forum, chat room, cork board, publication, or radio spot… Just ignore them… it's the damm attention we give them that makes them keep going.

OK that’s the end of my rant for the day.
:mad: :eek: :mad: :eek: :D :rolleyes:

DJFyrewolf36
12-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Funny, I was just saying this not too long ago...:D

I agree, very well said. The option to ignore things you don't like is always open. Thats part of freedom too.

moosmom
12-23-2004, 01:47 PM
What really pissed me off the most was when he held an emergency press conference when all those soldiers were killed in the mess tent in Iraq. He kept saying how his condolences go out to the families of these soldiers. His final words were "Have a nice holiday". How does he expect the families of these soldiers to have "nice holidays" when their loved ones have just been killed.

His stupidity kills me.

thenamelessone
12-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by moosmom

His stupidity kills me.

Sound heard coming for President Bush’s chambers before press conferences…
The resounding sound of a man hitting him self with a frying pan!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

moosmom
12-23-2004, 01:56 PM
I hope it was a cast iron frying pan!!! :p :p :p

thenamelessone
12-23-2004, 01:59 PM
Wow...
:eek: :D

thenamelessone
12-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
I hope it was a cast iron frying pan!!! :p :p :p

We could only be that lucky…
LOL
:eek: :eek:

catnapper
12-24-2004, 02:29 PM
I for one am not sure about free posting without censorship. My daughter once had her name smeared all over the internet, and the person said they could do it because they had a free right to say what they wanted. Umm.. no that is libel (or is it slander? Which is written? at any rate... they were spreading malicious gossip abot her.)

I personally feel people think they can say or post whatever they want because they have the right to free speech. Thats not completely true - the right is free speech so long as it does not harm someone else. I personally am harmed emotionally/intellectually/spiritually/however when I find internet posts with blatant sexual images, sites dedicated to the wonders of illegal drugs, I CANNOT stand curse words... even "WTF" It irks me and offends my intelligence. Like I'm not gonna figure out what their intentions were :rolleyes: I'm not saying we should bleep everything out - just use good judgement!

Why should *I* have to ignore or not open sites/posts that may or may not contain something I find offensive? Often, these sites and posts pop up when I least expect them! I do not purposely invite foul images and words into my life. I'd rather happily go through life without hearing or seeing those things. They do not make my life any more complete, they do not make me a more well-rounded person.

I have seen many movies that were supposedly fabulous but I HATED them for their excessive use of curses, nudity or violence. It should have been edited out for the most part. Our censors have been lax and letting it slip more and more recently... and they shouldn't. I am really annoyed when I see and hear things that as little as 10 years ago would have been censored out. They justify it by saying "sex sells" or "thats what the people want" Well, I for one, don't want it! I am not buying what they are selling!

Back to the first ammendment. It reads:
Freedom of religion, speech, press, and assembly (1791)
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting to free exercise thereof; or bridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assmeble, and to partition the Goverment for a redress of grievance.

The first ammendments freedoms are not absolute, however they are limited by the rights of other individuals.

So this to me means... the PEOPLE can censor each other. The GOVERNMENT cannot. Thus far, the government has not done so. Its the TV stations, the newspapers, the Movie rating systems people (whoever they are) etc that do the censoring.

I think people do things they want to, without regard for the impact it has on others, then they try to hide behind the first ammendment... but they don't stop to research exactly what the first ammendment means and what it is before they try to say they have the right to free speech. That right is limited.

thenamelessone
12-25-2004, 05:42 AM
Ok. Good points…
Now lets hit the “meat” of this issue! What your saying is that if “you” find something that you don’t like lets slap a censored label on it, right? Nope, what you find “rude” is not what all people fined “rude”. I often don’t find a LOT of what you find to be rude, now I’m not picking on you here, just making the point that we don’t all find the same thing to be offensive. Now you see the point to my rant about censorship, we don’t need to put our opinion all over some one else. More over what happened to your daughter is not applicable to my point, although it really sucks. Slander is not a point of view and I never will call it that. Free speech is all about what you think and what your opinion is.
:D

Now there is the issue of pop up’s and spam, the best way to nip this in the “bud” is to REPORT spam… there is a long list of spam reporting sites and you can get a good pop up blocker and spam blocker for your e-mail as well. Here is the link to GOOD add-ware remover!
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
:D :D :D

moosmom
12-25-2004, 07:55 AM
Catnapper,

I edited my posting. Didn't mean to offend anyone here. But Bush's lack of sensitivity during that little "mini-speech" really irked me. Here are families who are now without a loved one because of his decision to go to war with Iraq and he ends it by saying have a nice holiday??? Come on!

I agree with thenamelessone on your good points, though.

catnapper
12-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Donna, you didn't need to edit your post. I wasn't offended in the least. Now I wish I could remember what you said so I could act appropriately hurt! :p :D LOL...

As for me deciding what is and what isn't offensive... I am not that arrogant that I think I could or should decide. I think censorship should be a "moral majorty" thing. but even "moral majority" isn't quite the right word because that sounds so... morally superior or something. I just think that with all our technology moving at lightspeed faster than the human collective mind that we need to be a little more considerate that people do not accept change as quickly as the technology changes. That means (in my sleep-deprived mind) that just because we have the ability to send any thoughts any images to a person's house via network TV, cable, Tevo, the internet, newpapers, magazies, etc... that it neccesarily (sp?) shouldn't be coming into homes freely and without invitation. Cable so far has done a great job of keeping the really bad stuff off basic cable and limiting to paid channels.

thenamelessone
12-25-2004, 07:16 PM
My point is not that “YOU” personally want to make up the “moral majority”, but the idea of ANYONE being the moral majority. Like I have seed, we all have a different idea of what is “moral” and that is the reason that I don’t like censorship. However I do think that what we need is an international “rating” system that will let you know what the content is and there for let you pick what you want to see. That way no one has to do any censorship… and you can just ignore them if you don’t like the content.:eek: :D

dukedogsmom
12-25-2004, 07:32 PM
The idea of that is very good. However, how would everyone decide who headed up that team of censorship? With our luck, Shrub would head it.

thenamelessone
12-25-2004, 07:37 PM
Nice point…
However it is not censorship to slap a ratting on something… as long as you can still access it. Having a rating system just lets YOU decide whether you want to see it or not, and that is a way to personally choose. Like I chose to watch movies that have LOTS of cuss words and violence (as long as the story line is good), yet at the same time I’m not going to let my 5 year old watch the same thing.

A nice example of the kind of censorship that I’m talking about is the CEO of Disney blocked the release of Fahrenheit 911, a film that corn holes a lot of the issues with our president and behind the tragedy of 9/11 and had Miramax released this film in the US (do note that Miramax euro, like the us version is owned by Disney, did in fact release this film) the likelihood of Bush being reelected would have been REAL slim. Also note that the CEO of Disney also pulled out a lot of cash to fund Bushes reelection.

What a nice moral majority we have here.:mad: