PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER Trip to the Vet!!! (vent)

christa
12-23-2004, 11:43 AM
I hope you all aren't getting sick of my SICK CATS! lol

I'm taking Brodie back to the vet again today. 4 p.m.

He's getting worse . . . those Vitamins aren't making him any better.

He's struggling more to breathe & his eyes are starting to run. And his snot is no longer clear . . . it's brownish green.

I'm soooooo frustrated!!!

Christmas Eve is tomorrow & I'm stressing over a cat URI and worrying about Josie having an asthma attack while we're gone . . .

I could cry!!!

jazzcat
12-23-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm so sorry Christa.

Have you tried the steamy shower trick to help Brodie breathe? I've never tried it but I think many here recommend it. Get your bathroom nice and steamy for him and see if it will help open up his sinuses.

christa
12-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by jazzcat
Have you tried the steamy shower trick to help Brodie breathe? I've never tried it but I think many here recommend it. Get your bathroom nice and steamy for him and see if it will help open up his sinuses.

Yes, both me and hubby have been putting him in the bathroom with us when we take showers all week. Don't know about hubby, but I like HOT showers so it's plenty steamy! Hasn't seemed to help him much.

He's so snotty . . . he actually blew a snot bubble today! I know, not funny, but it was sooooo funny at the same time!

Laura's Babies
12-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Poor Brodie! I feel so sorry for the little guy, he must be miserable!! You must be worried sick and so fustrated. Hope the white coats do something this time.... should have been done the last time to prevent this!! (IMHO)

christa
12-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
.... should have been done the last time to prevent this!! (IMHO)

I AGREE!

She didn't want to treat it with antibiotics at first because she said it wasn't an infection (I "thought" the mucas was clear) but how easy is it to tell the color of a cat's snot?

It's all thick and gross today . . . I've been wiping it off of stuff that he sneezes on (gross) so I can now plainly see that it's NOT clear. Plus, the snot bubble thing was obviously GREEN!

I think it would have been easier if she'd just given him the antibiotics in the first place.

But what do I know? :rolleyes:

thenamelessone
12-23-2004, 01:59 PM
hope your kittys get better soon!!!!!!!!!!

catmandu
12-24-2004, 08:50 AM
We are praying,for Brodie,and Scrappy Angel,is takig a leave,of absence,from Scrappy Magoo,to be with Little Brodie.

sirrahbed
12-24-2004, 08:59 AM
I hope Brodie is starting to get better little by little Christa. That decision whether to go with antibiotics is a common one - with my children I dealt with it also. I agree with the "theory" of not using antibiotics when they are not completely necessary but almost every time - that viral infection became bacterial in a day or two anyway so I would often plead for the antibiotics at the start to save me a return trip and get the kids feeling better sooner!!! Plus, with Josie's possible asthma - you don't want HER exposed to these nasties!! Was she treated as well?
Hugs!!

kimlovescats
12-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Christa.... all of the youngsters here have been tossing the URI virus around too. You've never seen so much kitty snot!!!:eek: :rolleyes: They've had the eye infections that go along with it too. The best thing is to be sure and treat the eyes with Terramycin ointment right away .... you can buy this at your local TSC (Tractor Supply Co) or Farmer's COOP. It is about $10.00 a tube, and very worth it!!!

As far as their stuffy noses, it is safe to buy the Little Noses brand childrens' nose drops. Just scruff and hold their heads back and drop a few drops in the middle of their nostrils .... it will drip into both sides! You can also safely rub a bit of Vicks Vaporub Salve under their noses to help them breath easier. The antibiotics are good for secondary infections .... but these nasty URI's mostly have to run their course. They generally take 2 to 3 WEEKS to completely be gone .... so just be prepared, it's no quick fix! Brody will be fine ... just be sure he keeps eating / drinking .... and the nose drops / Vicks will help him be able to smell his food, so will help with that!;)

christa
12-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Christa.... all of the youngsters here have been tossing the URI virus around too. You've never seen so much kitty snot!!!:eek: :rolleyes: They've had the eye infections that go along with it too. The best thing is to be sure and treat the eyes with Terramycin ointment right away .... you can buy this at your local TSC (Tractor Supply Co) or Farmer's COOP. It is about $10.00 a tube, and very worth it!!!

As far as their stuffy noses, it is safe to buy the Little Noses brand childrens' nose drops. Just scruff and hold their heads back and drop a few drops in the middle of their nostrils .... it will drip into both sides! You can also safely rub a bit of Vicks Vaporub Salve under their noses to help them breath easier. The antibiotics are good for secondary infections .... but these nasty URI's mostly have to run their course. They generally take 2 to 3 WEEKS to completely be gone .... so just be prepared, it's no quick fix! Brody will be fine ... just be sure he keeps eating / drinking .... and the nose drops / Vicks will help him be able to smell his food, so will help with that!;)

THANK YOU SO MUCH, KIM!!!

I will try everything you suggested! I appreciate your input.

This is my first with a URI and I've been a bit stressed over it. :)