PDA

View Full Version : Cloned Cat

Jadapit
12-23-2004, 11:23 AM
Have any of you seen this on this news yet and if you have what are your thoughts on it? I would not have it done!:( I believe thats treading on real dangerous ground.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6747736/ (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6747736/)

flamepony12
12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
I read that article in the newspaper this morning. 50,000 dollars! :eek: I wouldn't have done it either- it was a VERY risky process....

smokey the elder
12-23-2004, 11:45 AM
I am so against THIS particular aspect of cloning. $50,000 could support my rescue group for half a year. Also, a lot of the clones aren't viable.

The disclaimer is, cloning to restore endangered species or to regenerate organs MAY some day be a very good thing.

pitc9
12-23-2004, 12:39 PM
LOL.... I was just about to start a thread about this!

I just think it's playing God, and that is NOT right!!!

slleipnir
12-23-2004, 12:43 PM
That annoys me os much. I mena I never want my animals to die, but that is just WRONG. I'm frightened what will come of this

moosmom
I read it in Ctnow.com I also wrote a letter to the editor with my disgust of the cloning.

Editor,

A woman from Texas paid $50,000 to have her deceased cat cloned?? Does this woman not have anything better to do with her money??

Cloning her cat while there are so many other unwanted, abused and abandoned cats in shelters awaiting good home is despicable. Thousands of cats are euthanized each year because of people like her. They choose to waste their
money trying to create their idea of a "perfect" cat rather, than give a"previously owned" animal a forever home. How she can sleep at night, I'll never know. She should be ashamed of herself!

Sincerely,

Jadapit
I totally agree with you Angie! What's going to happen if and when they start cloning people? That's a real scary thought.
Could you imagine if someone like Hitler had been cloned? NOT good!!!!

RedHedd
12-23-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm glad someone else started this thread - give me my natural, un-cloned, rescue kitty "mutts" any day! Yes, I miss my RB Goldie, but would not want a clone - that would be too scary! Nothing can replace the original!

DJFyrewolf36
12-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
I'm glad someone else started this thread - give me my natural, un-cloned, rescue kitty "mutts" any day! Yes, I miss my RB Goldie, but would not want a clone - that would be too scary! Nothing can replace the original!

AMEN!!!

Jods
12-23-2004, 02:52 PM
Yeah,
she paid a lot of money to have it done that could have gone to any type of charity, but who says the money would have went to a charity anyways. It's her money if shes rich and thats what makes her happy so be it. She's not hurting anyone. I'd just say good luck with your new kitten it's not going to be the exact same as your other cat but hey whatever floats your boat Have fun!

Tonya
12-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Ooops! I posted a thread on that too. I didn't realize that you had, sorry. I am unsure about the whole cloning thing. More against it then for it. There are so many strays and unwanted animals in the world that these people could be adopting. And it is misleading because alot of people expect the animal to be the same as their RB one. BUT, I can also feel the pain of losing an animal and so badly wanting it back. I remember with both my RB Christy and my RB Scooter, so badly wishing that they'd had puppies or something. I just so badly wanted to be close to them again. I searched so hard and still always have my eye out for dogs that look and/or act just like them.

That kitty is soooo adorable though! I wanna snuggle her!

Jods
12-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Here's a pic of the lady and her cat... They say they hopefully will have cloned a dog by May. The only thing I would worry about would be cloning people pets are one thing, but I think thats as far as it should go.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v461/Jodie017/041223_cloned_cat_200.jpg

anna_66
12-23-2004, 09:49 PM
I'm with you Jods. It's her money to be spent any way she wants to. I wouldn't bash her for it at all.

Mark & I said if we had the $50,000.... we'd do it.

Jods
12-23-2004, 09:58 PM
me 2...:( If only eh?

GoldenRetrLuver
12-23-2004, 10:06 PM
I really don't know what I think of it, either.. but, I think I agree with Angie and Tonya for the most part. It just doesn't seem right, and it also seems dangerous. I don't understand how this cloned cat could be EXACTLY like the 'original' cat, personality wise. Nothing's better then the original, I always say.

There's also too many homeless animals out there already that need homes.

Like I said, I don't know what I think. It is her money and she can do whatever she pleases with it, but..

slleipnir
12-23-2004, 10:58 PM
My friend said she'd do it..I duno. I'd love to have Josie 'forever' but that's the thing that bugs me..it's like you lose her, but are like oh well I'll do to the 'supermarket' and buy a new one, OH WELL! I duno, something about it irks me...but I agree it's her money to do with as she pleases, everyone has their own opinions