PDA

View Full Version : "Who's Your Daddy?" tv show

lizzielou742
12-23-2004, 11:11 AM
What do you guys think about this show? I think it's hard to judge a program without seeing it first, but it just really seems like a bad idea to me. If anyone here is adopted and has an opinion on this show, I'd be interested to hear it. :)

-------

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/12/15/tv.foxs.daddy.ap/

New Fox show: Adoptee IDs dad for $100K
Idea meets with protests from adoption community

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 Posted: 2:24 PM EST (1924 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- The Fox network said Tuesday it will air a special next month, "Who's Your Daddy?", where a daughter given up for adoption as an infant attempts to guess the identity of her birth father for a $100,000 prize.

Activists in the adoption community immediately attacked the special, which will air for 90 minutes on January 3.

"This is really perverse," said Adam Pertman, executive director of the Evan P. Donaldson Adoption Institute, a research and policy organization. "It takes a deeply personal and important experience and turns it into a money-grubbing game show. I think it is despicable."

A Fox network spokesman would not comment on the special, referring all calls to the producers, who said people shouldn't judge before watching.

"I find it curious that people are calling it that without having seen an episode," said Scott Hallock, one of three executive producers of the series for the Fox Television Studios. "You might get the impression from the title that it is somehow salacious or exploitive. But nothing could be further from the truth."

The woman who is the focus of the show, not identified by Fox, and her birth father were both involved in simultaneous searches for each other.

Her natural dad will be one of eight men presented to her, all claiming to be her father. She will be given opportunities to observe and interview the men to narrow the field, the network announced.

If she correctly guesses which man is her father, the woman can win as much as $100,000. If she is incorrect, the imposter that she chose will win the money, Fox said.

Either way, the special will end with the father and daughter being reunited.

Joseph Kroll, executive director of the North American Council on Adoptable Children, called the idea "repulsive." He said his own 29-year-old daughter is searching for her birth father.

"If someone were to try doing that to my daughter, what I consider to be abuse, I would not behave appropriately," Kroll said.

Pertman, a former Boston Globe reporter and author of the book "Adoption Nation," predicted the television show would denigrate the experiences of families who have gone through adoption.

"It really is sort of one-stop shopping for insulting millions of people, maybe tens of millions," he said.

Producers have already filmed six "Who's Your Daddy?" episodes, although Fox has only scheduled one of them for air at this point. Hallock said participants were sought through ads that made it clear the solicitation was part of a TV production.

Viewers are invited to play the game along with the adoptive daughter; the father's real identity will not be made clear until the end of the show.

All the participants felt it was a positive experience, said Kevin Healey, another executive producer.

"Our main focus was to see that it would be a positive experience and we were determined not to go forward with it if that was not the case," Healey said.

Fox had been known to be working on the show for months. This past summer, in a public tiff with Fox over competing boxing reality shows, NBC chief executive Jeff Zucker revealed Fox was working on the concept. Angry that Zucker had discussed their internal plans, Fox executives wouldn't comment on it.

RICHARD
12-23-2004, 11:21 AM
THEN THE DAUGHTER SUES FOR BACK CHILD SUPPORT!!!

They both show up on People's Court.

The daughter kills the father, They go to Unsolved Mysteries.

The manhunt is on, America's Most Wanted.

They try and track her down, Dog the Bounty Hunter.

And you can tune into Court TV to see the finale.

thenamelessone
12-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

Now thats what I call reality TV.

ROFL:D

animal_rescue
12-28-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by thenamelessone
Now thats what I call reality TV.

ROFL:D

ditto!

LKPike
01-05-2005, 04:15 PM
:p haahaa! those stupid b**tards controling the tv are running out of ideas!

catnapper
01-05-2005, 04:23 PM

Richard, I think you missed your calling in TV programming!

catland
01-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Richard has the right idea but I think that Fox could sink even lower.

How 'bout "Who's not your Daddy" - where they could reveal to people that their mommys cheated on their daddys and that they are really the offspring of the golf instructor.;) :p

RICHARD
01-05-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by catland

How 'bout "Who's not your Daddy" - where they could reveal to people that their mommys cheated on their daddys and that they are really the offspring of the golf instructor.;) :p

WHO'S YOUR CADDY???

wolfsoul
01-05-2005, 05:18 PM

WHO'S YOUR CADDY???

LOL!! :D

catland
01-05-2005, 05:24 PM

WHO'S YOUR CADDY???

ack - honest - I didn't even think of that. :D :D :D

RICHARD
01-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by catland
ack - honest - I didn't even think of that. :D :D :D

A sane person wouldn't.....;)

NoahsMommy
01-05-2005, 11:50 PM
I think its a horrible, horrible idea for a show. :(

My dad is a "dead beat" and it really made me sad. Why would someone, at, what? 25ish WANT to know her father? Is the only reason he's crawled out from under his rock so he can be on TV?? Obviously his daughter wasn't enough to make him find her.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Miranda_Rae
01-06-2005, 10:07 AM
LOL....Richard you got the right idea. ;)

I was flipping channels when it was on and I saw parts of it, and I was like, "This is dumb!" The part that I thought was REALLY bad was when they had his girls for his current marriage come out and meet their sister, and then he was all, "I kept in contact with your mother all these years!" :eek: :rolleyes: I bet that makes his wife feel REAL special. :rolleyes: I think that people have got to have better ideas than that for a TV show.

moosmom
01-06-2005, 06:11 PM
A sane person wouldn't

Well RICHARD, you ARE from the land of the easily amused.

If that were me, I wouldn't let my emotions get the best of me. I'd hug him and hand him a subpoena to appear in court for back child support too.

sirrahved
01-06-2005, 06:42 PM
I watched it, thought it was tasteful and I loved it!

Logan
01-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by sirrahved
I watched it, thought it was tasteful and I loved it!

You must explain, Debbie! I have heard nothing but bad things about this, here, and on television and talk radio. Explain what you saw because I didn't see anything.

Logan

sirrahved
01-07-2005, 06:39 PM
Actually, Debbie is my mother-in-love. My name is Devon. Nice to meet you!

The show started out by explaining that the real father and the daughter both agreed that it would be a fun show to do, as long as they got to meet in the end.

All 8 men pretended to be the woman's father, and her job was to narrow down the contestants based on their interactions. They had different tasks at each stage, including a dance contest.

If her dad was in the group she picked to stay, she wouldn't lose any money. She started out at $10,000.

I think it was a fun experience for both the father and the daughter. She couldn't find her family on her own, because her records were sealed.

At the end, they also introduced her to her birth mother and her half sisters.

I thought it was very interesting that she could tell who her father was. She said she had known from the very first interaction! It was an entertaining hour.

Like I said, she would have met her father no matter what her choices were. She got $10,000 dollars out of the deal. I'd watch another season for sure!

manda_moo87
01-07-2005, 09:11 PM
I also watched it and liked it. :)

Amber
01-07-2005, 11:19 PM
I dont know about you guys who disliked it, but I really loved it. I was so fulfilled of happiness for the girl. When she was hugging her dad, and she got to see her mom. it made me go aww, and teary eyed.