PDA

View Full Version : I need ADVICE PLEEEESE!!! (about Josie's asthma)

christa
12-23-2004, 10:31 AM
As you all may remember, I have just recently learned that Josie has asthma. Found her having a severe attack after being gone all day and had to rush her to the Animal ER.

The ER vet told me that he recommends that if we're going to be gone for an extended period of time, to give her a Prednisone tablet before we leave, just so we'll know that she won't die from an asthma attack while we're gone.

Our vet on the other hand, wasn't so keen on this idea. Never really got a straight answer from her, but she didn't like the idea of just giving Josie Prednisone whenever . . .

We're going out of town Christmas Eve & will be back on Christmas Day late in the evening. Gone about 30 hours or so all together.

What should I do? Should I give her the Preds just to ease my mind?

She hasn't been having any symptoms of asthma since her ER visit . . . none at all! So I really think she'll be all right . . .

What do I do???

jazzcat
12-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Christa, I'm sorry I don't have any advice but could you call your vet and/or the ER vet and have them clarify?

I hope someone here is able to help you so you can relax and enjoy Christmas.

Grace
12-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Is anyone looking in on them while you're gone? Someone that whould know how to give Josie a pill if necessary?

christa
12-23-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Grace
Is anyone looking in on them while you're gone? Someone that whould know how to give Josie a pill if necessary?

Nope.

aguu
12-23-2004, 11:31 AM
I would give her the pill. I would be torn like you but my reasoning would be that if I didn’t and came back and something had happened – I would always beat myself up. Will the pill harm her if you give it to her? I know that I am a worrier – so I would. But that is just my two cents!

Grace
12-23-2004, 02:12 PM
I agree with aguu. I would give her a pill before leaving. I think if you don't, you will spend the entire time worrying about Josie.