PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who feels this way...or has PT really changed recently?

popcornbird
12-22-2004, 03:10 PM
I've been wanting to make a thread on this topic for MONTHS now, but I kept telling myself its just a phase, and things will get better soon. 6 months later, I still see no positive change. Guess its time to make a thread then, and see what's going on.

Does anyone else around here feel like they're losing interest in PT? *gasp...I can't believe I said that* :( Honestly, I do feel like I'm losing interest in this WONDERFUL board that I thought I'd never be able to live without, and just the thought of that is making me incredibly sad. I don't want to lose ANY interest in PT. Why I'm losing interest...I don't know, but it seems to me that most of the long time members on this board that we've all grown so close to aren't posting much at all anymore. I noticed this in the summer and thought...*People are probably busy...they'll come back and start posting again.* Summer came and went, fall came and went, now winter is here and quickly passing, and PT is STILL quiet. Nothing has changed. The board isn't nearly as active as it was last year at this time. Will ALL of PT's wonderful members EVER come back to post regularly? I know everyone's lurking around...I am too...but we're all so quiet for some reason. :(

There was a time when just leaving PT for just a few minutes would cause me to miss SO much on the board. Now, even if I leave for an entire day, there's hardly anything new to read when I return. What's going on? Where are all of our wonderful long time members? What happened to our fun threads....the games, the jokes, the wonderful spirit of Pet Talk...the having something to say every minute? I don't know why I'm letting this affect me so much, but its really making me very upset. I miss the old PT so much. I hate that I'm losing interest in PT, something that I 'really' don't want to see happening.

Just about a year ago, my main motivation to log onto the internet constantly was PT. Things have changed now. PT is no longer the first site I visit. The first thing I do now is log onto Yahoo IM...to talk to my friends from PT. (Could that be the problem...that we all talk to our 'group of friends' outside PT?) Then I check my emails, check the local weather, do all sorts of other things and THEN come to PT, only to find the same old posts from my last visit, and nothing new. :(

My point in posting this thread is to ask...am I the only weird one feeling this way, or is PT *really* not the same as it was before? If its really not the same, I think we ALL need to work on making it as active and fun as it was before again. I think the fun of PT and the spirit of PT all depends on the members of PT. None of us can fix things by ourselves. We need to get together and start posting more. Until we do that, I can only see PT becoming more and more quiet, and sadly, with how attached most of us have become to PT, its a very difficult thought to think about, or bear. What do you all think on this issue? We're all off from school for awhile, so maybe its time to get over here and make the board as lively and fun as possible! :p

CamCamPup33
12-22-2004, 03:25 PM
I agree, but then I don't agree.

To me, I am not losing interest in PT. AT ALL. Im still extremely addicted, but I too think it's not AS fun as it used to be. I remember laughing out loud to the 'How many what's in a whatnow game,' and all of those other funny threads, and my mom thinking im totally crazy. Now, it's just pet talk.

But it's still the Pet talk I've become extremely fond of, and way too addicted to. I wouldn't ever leave, only because I still enjoy looking around on PT and even though I may not be as enthused about it as I was when I first joined, I still love it here.. Great members have left or may not be posting as much as they used to and i think we all miss them. (Jordan, Johanna, Micki, etc..)

Maybe it's just all the trolls that have been coming around, and some of the fights that have broken out between PT members, that's making us feel this way.

GoldenRetrLuver
12-22-2004, 03:33 PM
I agree with basically everything you've said, PCB.

I used to love coming and checking out Pet Talk. Now, for me (and many others) I just browse and post occasionally. I usually just chat off of Pet Talk with the friends I've made here, share stories, pictures, etc.

I'd like the old, fun Pet Talk to "come back" too, along with all of the old members who used to post more frequently.

I also agree with what Amber said about the troll and fight issues that we've had lately.

Amber
12-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Your not alone PCB. I used to be so attached to PT that it was what i did all day; vewing PT. But now, its not. PT is the last thing I check on my computer. I agree with Amber also, trolls have been coming here, and our silly arguments between them has basically ripped us apart. And leading to that, it's made PT members upset, hurt, and not wanting to come back anymore. Thats why we are loosing our valuable members. I miss the old PT that I knew, PT has become more slow, and quiet. I hope we can come together as a comunity, and make the lively, fun, exciting place PT was once.

Corinna
12-22-2004, 03:54 PM
It changes every so often when I started there were very few kids or young adults on. Then for a while it seemed thats all there was we oldsters couldn't get a word in or got jumped on. I know it takes me a long time to answer on some threads as I'm afraid I'll get my a** in trouble and treated like I have the plaque.
I think its the same for a lot of the others. Some of the newer members appear to be so needey of affection and pats on the head(my opinion) getting mad when we look but don't make a huge fuss over their thread. Some times there is just no need to answer.
Give it a couple more months and we will be all yaking over each other.

cali
12-22-2004, 04:10 PM
whiel I still check her a lot, I think fighting has really broken us up, I know I have differning opinions and now everyone treats me like the plague lol I dont stop posting, it pointless because nobody cares but if I dont then the people who do complain that I dont post enugh lol but now its like people have their own little groups, and everyone in that group hates everyone who is not in their group. and I think newbies have noticed it too, I will notice that newer people often comment on the groupiness, then the most groupie people all bash that new person, its just not a very friendly board anymore, everyone bashes someone behind backs and then the people find out they are people talked about and then everyone gets upset, and someone leaves...

Kfamr
12-22-2004, 04:37 PM
YEP!
I've been saying it for a while now. PT was A LOT different when I joined 4 or so years ago.

Months ago when I was saying it has changed people kept diagreeing, now I see people PM me on how they agree and now see what i'm saying.

We have lost a lot of well love and respected members, in which are dearly missed. :( Leslie, Pam, Micki, Rachel, just to name a few.. We haven't complete lost them, but they don't frequent as often as they used to. :(

I have so many new ideas for fun threads, but I find myself thinking more than twice about posting something. I wonder if it's even worth it anymore, and I often find myself deleting something *right* after I post it because I just don't feel like being here anymore sometimes.

I'm not sure what exactly has caused it, but this place has gotten out of hand. I *NEVER* remember seeing "trolls" and such years ago. A lot of immaturity, and I'll admit a portion of it is from me as well. It seems as if it's 4 different forums anymore. There's different cliques and gangs and if you say one thing to one person then the whole zippity dooh dah gang jumps on you and critisizes you when they haven't the slightest clue what's going on.

It's just a whole different place all together and I no longer spend hours at a time on it anymore.

popcornbird
12-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Phew...thank God I'm not the only one.

Amber, I'm not losing interest in PT in the sense that I don't want to keep coming here. I *do*. I love PT. Its just not fun anymore. Before, I could never focus on what I was doing because what I was missing on PT was on the back of my mind. Now, when I'm doing stuff, I know I can finish doing it and later return to PT, and there would still be nothing new to read. Its just not fun anymore! :(

I don't see Logan, Pam, Micki, Tatsxxx11, K9soul, .........LOTS of other WONDERFUL members on PT as often as I used to. Heck I don't see myself on PT as much as I used to...LOL! Its not because I don't want to post. Its just because no one's posting, and there's nothing to say. I'm going to be really busy till New Years because we're having relatives come over, and I won't be posting much until then, but we really have to get together and do something about PT's 'quietness' after New Years. We can't lose our wonderful PT. We can't. :( Come back everyone!

cookieluver7
12-22-2004, 04:52 PM
I only joined in October so I'm really not sure how much it has changed. All I know is that I am totally crazy about pet talk but maybe I wouldn't be so much if I would have been here years before.

BitsyNaceyDog
12-22-2004, 05:09 PM
In January it'll be a year that I've been here. I completely feel the same way you do though. I've been seeing the same slump that you've been seeing. I too miss the "old" PT that I joined almost a year ago.:(

popcornbird
12-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

I have so many new ideas for fun threads, but I find myself thinking more than twice about posting something. I wonder if it's even worth it anymore, and I often find myself deleting something *right* after I post it because I just don't feel like being here anymore sometimes.

Kay...I think that's the problem. We're all thinking twice before we post something. Go ahead and post your fun threads! We 'need' them! PT seriously was so much more fun 1-2 years ago. I don't know why it isn't anymore. :(

Cookiebaker
12-22-2004, 05:32 PM
I kinda know what you mean, Poppy. I really, really miss some of the "Old Timers" as you say. But what we gotta keep in mind is that life changes, things change, the people on PT change. Look forward, not backward. I'm finding that I am having to "meet" more people because some of my old friends don't post anymore. And for some reason that's hard to do. I go into Dog General now, and it seems that nobody know who I am. And I feel sad about that. But it's high time for me to post some pictures, I'm sure. ;)

Please don't stop posting the fun threads, Kay! Or you either, Pop! PT is only what we make it -- a fun place to chat, talk about our pets and post pictures!! So GET POSTING!!!! ;)

AlleyCat
12-22-2004, 05:38 PM
I'm clueless - what are you referring to when you say "trolls" ?
I think I'd understand this better if I knew what that meant.

I joined in November, and so far I love it, but then again I don't have a lot of months or years at this to compare to.

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by MommyOf3cats

A "troll" is basically a person who comes here just to cause trouble:(

CamCamPup33
12-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by MommyOf3cats

Trolls are people who join just to cause a commotion, and they are people who have nothing better to do with themselves. :p

Whoops! Orangutango beat me to it! LOL :p

AlleyCat
12-22-2004, 05:53 PM
You weren't quick enough !!! LOL

I guess I have not seen these trolls, but I don't have much to compare to ...

I did see the thread where the Rottlund mommy got bashed for putting her puppy down, and I thought it was truly horrible (the bashing, I mean.) I don't like the idea of putting a puppy down, but I don't know enough about the circumstances to judge, not being personally there ... seemed too many people were too quick on that and I don't think PT should be a place for bashing - I think that in itself has probably changed the face of PT somewhat.

Vio&Juni
12-22-2004, 06:00 PM
I am one of those who posts less and sometimes I just read without posting. Mainly, because I don't have the computer only to myself, and I do not have the access I had all the time at the office. BUT, sometimes I open the General for example to see a thread like "Yeah, I'm bored!". Sorry, but why should I care? Maybe it sounds harsh, but, let's be serious. When you post a thread, it should be of interest to other people, that's why it's a forum - for discussions! More posts is not necessary better quality. If there is nothing to say, do not say it. Sometimes I go back to check threads I've missed and I see many interesting threads go to the 3rd or 4th page because some people start threads just to keep themselves busy and the first page is just full of them.

dukedogsmom
12-22-2004, 06:19 PM
I've noticed it for quite a while now. for me, a big part of it is all the trolls we've had lately. They've been getting out of control and getting away with a lot. I've mostly just been lurking lately. I've found if your opinion is different from the majority, it's best just to keep your mouth shut. I don't spend a lot of time here like I used to. I wish it could get back to the way it was and the "Brookes" of Pt would vanish. It would be so much better.

primabella
12-22-2004, 07:20 PM
I too miss the way things used to be. PT jused to be a top priority for me when I was online but it's just not anymore. I just feel uncomfortable and unnoticed here, so I guess that discourages me from posting so often.

I wish I had good ideas for fun threads.. seriously guys, if you have an idea that we can all get involved in, post it! As mentionned, that's what a forum/discussion board is for. I'm annoyed with the cliques and all the assumptions that go on around here. We all love animals, at least, so why don't we all just open up to eachother like we used to?

And so many members have neglected sharing pictures of their pups. That's why when I post mine, I feel like it's such a dread.. like I post so often. :(

I miss the fact that I was able to make new friends on here and learn so much from everyone's opinions. It's basically up to us to get things "back to normal". I'm sorry if I offended anyone, that would never be my intention.. I'm just stating my opinion and I guess, trying to motivate myself to becoming more active.

micki76
12-22-2004, 07:20 PM
PCB, Kay, and some others, know why I hardly ever come on PT anymore. I’ve been reading it a bit in the last few days, but I’ve not been posting. Why? Well, tell me why I should? People aren’t responding in any significant amount to anyone’s threads. People are arguing left and right. We have trolls all over the place. We have the same people registering under a billion different names. We have people posting “I’m bored” threads. We have people who respond to a post with a smilie or some silly comment, just cause it will make them a pillar quicker. We have people creating threads with the same subjects over and over.

Oh, and don’t even get me started on some of the subjects in the Dog House (on a supposedly family friendly site). I will say this, regardless of whether a child encounters these things in the real world or not, many parents would kick their kids (that’s ANYONE under 18) right off PT and forbid them to participate here anymore if they were to catch them viewing a thread about ILLEGAL drugs, drinking and such. I can imagine as a parent that I would expect PET TALK to be a fun, happy (read: relatively safe) place for my child to surf. I would go so far as to say that for many older teens the Dog House should be safe and certainly not encourage them to break the law. It’s bad enough to have other kids their age encouraging ILLEGAL activity, but to have adults doing it on a FAMILY friendly website just makes me realize that PT is in deep trouble. I thought the DH was for controversial subjects, but apparently it's a lot more than the normal "debate" forum that I thought it was intended for. :confused: Other forums I frequent have "debate" sections, but they still don't take it to the level that the DH sometimes reaches. :(

The odd thing is that I just don’t care enough to try to argue that point in the thread. Personally I think it should be deleted. But why bother voicing my opinion? There’ll be some “snappy” comeback from someone and them someone will get their feelings hurt and there’ll big a big nasty fight about it. THIS is the main problem with PT. There’s just too much fighting. And, like Kay, I’ve been involved in my fair share of it (usually with her, lol) but why? Why make a place we all say we love so much such a crappy place? I just don’t want to fight with anyone anymore, so it’s easier to just not post anymore, cause there will surely be a fight of some sort no matter the subject. It’s ridiculous.

Another big issue IMO which, I’ve said before and I’ll say again; No offense to Karen or Paul, but there’s just not enough moderating, IMO. I visit a LOT of other message boards (for all different sorts of subjects) and I don’t see any of the things happening on them that I see on PT. If it happens most never know, cause it’s nipped in the bud quickly. And I simply credit it to a large team of moderators (15 or more on some busier boards). I can guarantee you that there’s no way to keep up with all that needs to be kept up with on such a busy site, even if someone was able to sit all day long and just moderate. I hope that by saying that, I haven’t offended anyone; it’s just the way I feel and something that I’ve been observing for a long time.

Guess that’s all I can add to the subject. Sadly, I just don’t care enough to try to make it better PCB.

I hope you can all make it the ‘fun’ PT that you want it to be again. :)

Karen
12-22-2004, 07:22 PM
Remember that Pet Talk is what the members make of it. The "trolls" are not a new occurance, we've had a few here and there all along, but they're usually quickly forgotten.

Positive posts, fun posts, and thinking twice before posting something negative, trying to say something nice whenever you can, remembering not to post when angry - all will help Pet Talk be a happier place!

We love you all, and are glad you are here. The community continually evolves, and as someone said, let's look forward to the good times ahead on Pet Talk and then make them so! Also, if you miss someone, PM them or email them! You never know when you're going to make someone's day!

Jods
12-22-2004, 07:47 PM
In my opinion (don't bash me for this), but sometimes I feel kinda like an outsider because I'm newer as well. It's my opinion and I could care less, but you do tend to notice all the same people posting to the same people's threads or the same few posting to my threads. A few times I have even posted something in peoples threads advice or anything and I go back to see if they have said anything else and a person below me has said the exact same thing and they're like oh thanks for the advice _____
at one point I checked to make sure my posts were actually showing up I felt invisable. Sometimes I feel like oldies would rather stick with oldies and I'm not saying they are rude or anything they just don't acknowledge you as much and thats fine for me, but I can see why people would take offense to it. I also believe that sometimes I go to post something like about what my dog did and I change my mind because i'm afraid to hear everyones opinions and am second guessing myself. Another thing I've noticed is a lot of negative threads. This place is supposed to make people feel comfortable not bad about themselves. There are probably always going to be "trolls" and there will always be new people joining so instead of always being upset that old people have left why not make new friends and try your best to make this place as great as it "used" to be like you say. I'm not just saying all this to get a "pat on the head" to feel welcome like I say I will post no matter what, but I just wanted to let you see it from another point of view. We all have one thing in common, we love our pets and thats why we are here. I hope no one gets upset with what I've written I'm not so sure if I have many friends here anyways, but I enjoy reading all your posts and writing mine. :)

chrissycat21
12-22-2004, 08:27 PM
I hate seeing all these members of PT becoming lurkers. :(

I have noticed a difference, a lot of the time I just tell myself 'PT is having another slow day, oh well everyone will be posting again tomorrow.'

So many great members here have become lurkers, or even left all together. :( I've missed hearing about some great pets and their families.:(

popcornbird
12-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Micki...I totally agree with you 100%. TOTALLY. And with all respect to both Karen and Paul, I must say that I too, have felt at MANY times that because we're SUCH a big board, we NEED more moderators. The tiel board I used to visit has so many moderators I could hardly keep track of them, but boy do they do a GOOD job. Any troll that enters the forum is gone in a flash. Most people don't even know there was a troll there. Any offensive thread posted is gone the next second. While I do believe both Karen and Paul do an exceptionally good job for two people and do the best they can, the fact is, such a big board is hard for just two people to handle.

I too agree that the marijuana gum thread and people making it a GOOD thing is offensive. I'm 19 now...over 18, but I know that if my parents knew about that thread, despite my being over 18, they STILL wouldn't like me reading that stuff. It isn't right. Marijuana is against the law of our country for a very good reason. We have enough teens talking about it at school and affecting the minds of other youngsters. WHY do we need to have adults encouraging it on a PET website, which is obviously a site many MANY youngsters enjoy. I do think we should keep things clean...Dog House or not.

Sadly, if these things aren't taken care of, we're just going to keep losing more and more wonderful long time members, for no reason other than disappointment in the way things are being handled. :(

swimma253
12-22-2004, 09:01 PM
I am not a "long time" member, but I have been here since around July or August, and I remember just wanting to be on PT every minute! I honestly thought it was the best thing in the world! Posting pictures of Meeka, having other people compliment her, compliment other people, participate in fun threads, etc., etc.

Now it seems to be dying down a bit and stopped being so busy and fun. Of course I would never even think about leaving PT.... but sadly I have found myself to be more of a lurker now...:(

Hopefully we can all get in the spirit of Christmas and bring back the fun "old" PT! :D

chrissycat21
12-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by swimma253
I am not a "long time" member, but I have been here since around July or August, and I remember just wanting to be on PT every minute! I honestly thought it was the best thing in the world! Posting pictures of Meeka, having other people compliment her, compliment other people, participate in fun threads, etc., etc.

Now it seems to be dying down a bit and stopped being so busy and fun. Of course I would never even think about leaving PT.... but sadly I have found myself to be more of a lurker now...:(

Hopefully we can all get in the spirit of Christmas and bring back the fun "old" PT! :D

I feel pretty much the same way! I miss having all the active threads we used to!

Karen
12-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Popcornbird, I have let the marijuana gum thread stay because for many people, that could be a beneficial thing medically. Have you ever known someone who has undergone chemotherapy? Many of us have, and know that the "drug" in marijuana can play a role in helping alleviate the awful, dreadful nausea that often results.

Do I think the gum should be used recreationally, sold over the counter? Of course not. But when nothing else can help, I think it could be a very good product for cancer and other patients. That is mentioned in the thread.

zippy-kat
12-22-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I too agree that the marijuana gum thread and people making it a GOOD thing is offensive.

But what offends you, may not offend someone else and vice versa. And I think this is a potential source of problems if more mods were introduced; what might offend a new mod, may or may not offend Karen and Paul, and the thread could be gone when it should've remained. The new mod could "check" with K&P before deleting, but if that's the case, then the new mod becomes a middle man and doesn't serve a real purpose other than to "alert" them to a potentially disturbing/disruptive post. And, for the most part, we ALREADY do that in the form of PMs/emails.

I don't know. I know that I've argued for more mods in the past but I'm rethinking that position. (Granted, more mods would probably remedy the troll problem(s) a bit quicker.)

Pet Talk has changed but I don't know that the change is good or bad; it just is. Pet talk has grown alot since the "days of yore" and with growth comes change. We either embrace it or ... find somewhere else to post. lol

popcornbird
12-22-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
We either embrace it or ... find somewhere else to post. lol

The problem is...there isn't any other place that's 'worth' posting at. :p LOL! PT is 'home' for most of us. I personally consider PT my 'home' on the web. I feel like I personally 'know' many of the people here, and a lot of us have become very close friends over the years. So really...posting somewhere else isn't an option, as I don't intend to leave PT. I can't. I'm much too attached.....and while the attachment might not be as strong as it was before, its still there.

He he he. I just noticed one thing. Ever since I posted this thread today, PT has suddenly become more 'active'. :D That just proves everyone's lurking around and staying quiet. :p Now that there's a thread to post on and share differing opinions on, everyone came back. I guess the main problem is we're not posting enough interesting threads like we used to.

Karen, I do agree that marijuana has some medical benefits, but the thing about that thread is...it wasn't really being discussed for 'medical reasons'. I personally feel its illegal for a reason, and I don't think drugs like marijuana should be encouraged on a family website...even if its being talked about as a 'joke'. Marijuana has destroyed the lives of MANY, and in my opinion, its nothing to take lightly...especially when its something that's being posted on a family site that many parents consider safe enough to let their kids participate in.

Kfamr
12-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
or ... find somewhere else to post. lol

I've been doing just that. I've found myself joining a lot of new boards/communites lately. :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-22-2004, 09:36 PM
I don't think the marijuana thing is offensive. Knowing how many kids do it these days, it's not a big deal to me. I'm not stupid enough to do it or try it, so it doesn't offend me in anyway. What's sad is that I find it funny. :p

anna_66
12-22-2004, 11:10 PM
But Anna & Karen were right when they said it is up to us to change things. It takes more than one or two people, it has to be more than that.

I know I haven't been posting nearly as much as I did before and Angus's death has had quite a lot to do with it, and then getting a new puppy, and then holidays and all. But I truly haven't felt like my heart has been in PT like it used to be.

I even joined a mastiff board, nice people who will help me with problems or offer suggestions since I've never had one and no one here has one. Of course they are all very nice, but it's not PT!

I have formed quite a few wonderful friendships here and am so glad that I found this board and wouldn't trade it for the world.

So I guess what I'm saying is I've been feeling the same way and thought I was the only one. I'm glad to know I'm not though.
So let's get the holidays over and get our fingers to clicking and start having some fun here!!!!

I want to see lots of pictures and hear lots of stories about everyone's Christmas:D
Anyone else with me????!!!!

Karen
12-22-2004, 11:20 PM
I did end up deleting the "marijuana gum" thread, as the bad was far outweighing the good in it.

Anna, we would love more posts from you! After Christmas, we'll hold you to that!

lizzielou742
12-22-2004, 11:31 PM
For me, the only negative thing about PT are threads like this. :(

popcornbird
12-22-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742

How is this negative? There has been a lot of discussion of how PT has changed lately outside PT, and for those of us who have enjoyed the board for many years, it is something that's upsetting, as PT is our passion online. We like to see PT remain its wonderful self, and really, the only reason to make this thread was to discuss the problem, get together, and make PT the wonderful place it always was all over again. Now that everyone 'knows,' hopefully we'll all be able to get together and make PT fun again. Problems that are ignored and put under the carpet can never be solved. You won't understand the 'change' we're talking about unless you've been here for over a year or longer.

Thanks Karen. :D

I'm with you Anna. More pictures and more fun threads after New Years. ;)

lizzielou742
12-22-2004, 11:39 PM
I guess I never really notice problems, I just go on my merry way posting, and then things like this come up and make me sad that there's people who don't like PT anymore, or who think it should be changed somehow. I guess I feel like talking about negativity brings about more negativity.

Not that I think you all are wrong for talking about it...by all means go ahead....I guess I'm saying not everyone out there notices all these "changes" until they're brought up.

Tonya
12-22-2004, 11:54 PM
"The Change" was bound to happen. Ever since I've been at PT, there has been fighting. I've watched so many people get attacked here. People have a hard time being open minded. People can get so judgemental and set in their ways sometimes. And certain people can be so cruel. I have seen alot of people get kicked when they are already down.

It eventually breaks the spirit.

I know that it's broken mine quite a bit. I don't feel comfortable being myself on PT. I quickly learned that being honest and forward just causes bashing. I talk about things in my life, but for the most part, I hold back on alot of things that I am thinking or doing. I only discuss certain things with my PT friends through PM's or messenger. I know I am not the only one that feels that way.

I don't think there is a solution though. We've got thousands of members here. We've got all ages and backgrounds. We're bound to have different personalities and opinions. I don't think we can force each and every PT member to be compassionate and open minded. Everyone has to put their two cents in. That eventually runs people off. They get tired of wondering how their post will be judged. They get tired of seeing all the bickering. They get tired pretending to be perfect all the time.

Because, God forbid...no one here makes mistakes, right? We all have a huge savings account set aside to pay for our animal's vet bills in case of an emergency. We'll let our children and our selves starve to death before we neglect our animals, right? We all have a backup plan if we suddenly lose our job or our house. None of us have ever accidentally left our dogs outside over night. None of us have ever accidentally caused our dogs to escape. None of us have ever procrastinated on spaying or neutering our dogs. Now you can stand here and say that when those situations have come up, PT has been supportive. Yeah, I have seen people react wonderfully sometimes. But SOME of those same people turn around and bash the person through PM's and their Live Journals. Some people think that they are the perfect pet owners and everyone should be just like them.

Who wants to wonder which situation will be bashed and which will be supportive. I've seen the same situation, different people each time get totally different reactions. I guess how popular you are goes into play too.

Now, I really don't need to explain myself. The open minded, compassionate, honest people on PT will understand that I am not speaking of PT as a whole. Only the guilty ones will be offended by this post.

shais_mom
12-23-2004, 12:06 AM
I guess I never really notice problems, I just go on my merry way posting, and then things like this come up and make me sad that there's people who don't like PT anymore, or who think it should be changed somehow. I guess I feel like talking about negativity brings about more negativity.

Not that I think you all are wrong for talking about it...by all means go ahead....I guess I'm saying not everyone out there notices all these "changes" until they're brought up.

I think I kind of go thru life like Lizzie does. With rose colored glasses.
The things that bother me with PT are things that I deal with everyday in my life. Back stabbing - being hypocritical- talking behind backs.

OH Yes I do my share of gossiping with my 'clique' in the chat but what drives me batty is people who rake someone over the coals for doing something when they did something verryyy similiar themselves and it was all ok. And my blood pressure goes thru the roof when I see people bad mouth others on the board b/c everyone is so 'nasty' when it is laughable that the person(s) saying it is usually nasty to everyone.
In order to make a change here I have to be the one to change myself so that means keeping my trap shut with gossiping, here and in my day to day life as well.
Would I give up my PT?
NOT ON YOU'RE LIFE!
I have made such wonderful, special friends here. I am closer to some of the people I have met here then I am in my everyday friendships.
It breaks my heart that the 'old timer's' aren't posting, I hope they will keep in touch with us.
I am not perfect, so I will be making mistakes and will probably regress sometime talking to my homegirls (;))
And I agree with Tonya (from CA :)) to a point the people who think they are perfect are the ones making mistakes. I wasn't really offended by her post so I am not entirely sure if I was one of the one's she was referring to or not.

Tonya
12-23-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by shais_mom
And my blood pressure goes thru the roof when I see people bad mouth others on the board b/c everyone is so 'nasty' when it is laughable that the person saying it is usually nasty to everyone.

Amen!

shais_mom
12-23-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
Amen!

:)

aly
12-23-2004, 02:34 AM

I was thinking along the same lines. (This isn't against you at all PCB). I usually start to feel more negative when everyone keeps pointing out the negative things. Instead of talking about the negative, I think it may be more effective to display the positive.

I joined PT almost 4 years ago and it has changed a lot. I miss tons of people who left, but I also love the new people. I'm always very resistant to change, but sometimes change is a wonderful thing. I just keep hoping that the oldies will come back, but at the same time I really enjoy the company of the newbies. They bring fresh ideas and conversation... and more pictures! Of course, I DON'T enjoy all the new trolls and I complain about them a lot on AIM. I think complaining about them publicly fuels their fire in a way. But as PT grows, there will be more trolls no matter what. There will also be more differing opinions, arguments, etc etc etc. I just don't see any way around it because thats what comes with the growth of a public community.

As far as being judgemental, that won't stop. I know some people here who think I'm a goody-goody, Miss Perfect, judgemental person. It really couldn't be further from the truth. I'm very open-minded and nonjudgemental, BUT i am PASSIONATE about animals and when someone is not treating them how they should be treated, I will always say something. I have never said anything in a rude way though. Animals don't have a voice of their own and I care about them too much to just keep my mouth shut for the sake of keeping the peace. I never want to start arguments, but I will always say something nicely if I feel I can offer advice on the matter. I've felt the need to clarify that ever since I found out some people don't like me because I will say something when I feel an animal isn't being treated correctly.

Anyway, I'm tired and babbling so I guess I'll stop now. Just wanted to say to the new people that you are all liked and please don't get discouraged. Keep up the posting everyone!

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-23-2004, 04:06 AM
Just discovered this thread... .

He he, everybody is talking about how so many oldies are gone, or don't post anymore. In case some haven't noticed it yet: I AM BACK!!! !! I was gone for almost a year, and I am so happy to be back!! Yes, some things have changed, but don't we all change?? PT is what we want it to be, as long as be ALL do our best. I chose to forget and put all the problems behind me; so I came back: I haven't regretted one minute :) :) !!
PETTALK is the first site I log into in the morning, and it is the last one I close before going to bed or watching tele!!

Come on, everybody, it is almost Christmas! Let's put all our grieves behind us, and inject tons of positive thoughts into our forum! I love you ALL http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%20940%20hug.gifhttp://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/smilies%2095%20big%20sun.gif

Logan
12-23-2004, 06:15 AM
Lut, I love you! :) Hehehe!! I'm so glad to have you back!!!

You guys, I haven't gone anywhere on purpose. Please don't lump me in the lurkers or not interested group. It is time and nothing else that has taken me away in recent months. I still love it here and come as often as I can!!!! :D

Merry Christmas!!! :D

Logan

clara4457
12-23-2004, 06:47 AM
I haven't been around much lately, but it is more due to changes in my life rather than changes in this board. Personally, I joined about 2 years ago and the only real changes I have seen is that it has gotten bigger - which creates more. More fluff posts, more divergent opinions, more trolls, more controversy. I am on such time constraints right now with being so involved with our rescue organization, fostering, fundraising, volunteering, etc., that I just don't have the time to visit as often as I used to. It does not mean that I don't still enjoy the site and visit whenever I have the time. Since it is bigger, however, I have pretty much lost track of who everyone is and where their lives are now. Because of my time constraints, I tend to stay away from the general forums and visit the rescue and behavior forums more. The general forums are just too BIG!! Although I do try to view the threads of the people who I have know better. :)

I have never been a very prolific poster (as you can see from my post count) :o but this site has had a profound impact on my life. It was due to this site that I became more involved in animal rescue and animal welfare, as have other people. It may lead us to post less, and visit less, but it makes the world a better place for animals. JMHO

finn's mom
12-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Hey, everyone. It's guster girl. I'm on the computer at work, and, it's not letting me log in as guster girl, so, i created this new name to post on this thread. I've not been on Pet Talk for awhile, but, I'm sure I'm not one of the people that's missed. I wasn't posting much before I got this new job because I honestly didn't feel like I was welcome. And, I've not posted at all lately because of my schedule and lack of personal computer. At least I'm loving my job for the first time ever. I'm living with a couple of roomies and they have a six month old yellow lab boy for Finn to play with, so, Ray and Finn keep me busy, too. Finn will be a year old tomorrow for y'all that loved my puppy! :) But, anyway, I digress. The main reason I left PT was because I made a friend and in turn lost that friend without ever knowing why, and, being here made me fantastically sad about that. :( But, as for Pet Talk itself, the face of it has changed even since I joined. I can see why a lot of people would be nervous about posting things on a lot of topics or being honest about their positions on things. It can be a very ugly place in here, but, I think this thread is actually a good idea, because at least the folks that feel that way can see that they're not the only ones.

K9soul
12-23-2004, 09:33 AM
I agree with many many statements made by various people, some of the statements might even be conflicting but that doesn't make both not be true in some ways. I agree PT has felt different the past few months, though I've been here a bit over a year and may not really be considered an "old-timer."

I agree that threads like this can be discouraging, but I agree they can be enlightening too.

I agree that it's sad some people's posts, especially the newer people's, tend to go unanswered, but I agree it can get hard when this is such a big community, and you want to answer both your friend's posts and newer folks' posts but have limited time. Gosh I don't want the wonderful friends I've made here to feel neglected or ignored, and I WANT to catch all their posts and reply, but just as much hate seeing people feel left out and ignored because they are new or feel unliked.

I agree that people can be judgmental or say hurtful things when others do something they don't understand, but also that everyone is different, has different opinions, and judging those people, getting angry and turning to bash them, doesn't help anything but makes the problem worse. The thing that speaks loudest to me is never someone yelling at me that they are disgusted by what I said or did, but by watching someone else respond in the way I should have, with love and compassion and without judgment. Leading by example. A n example of support and compassion is spoiled when the person turns around and bashes somebody else for not reacting the same way, and perpetuates the arguing and bad feelings, this is just my opinion.

That said, I'm going to turn around and make a statement that is not aimed at anyone in particular but just something that bothers me. I wish people would not utilize the rolleyes emoticon at all towards other posters on this board. It makes my heart sick whenever I see it used towards someone. If I saw it used towards me or something I said, I'd feel stupid. When I was in school, I wasn't one of the popular kids. When I tried to join in and make a joke or conversation, some of the girls would roll their eyes at what I said and then laugh together. I wanted to crawl under a rock I felt so humiliated, and to this day I struggle with having the courage to join in and express myself when I'm with people I don't know. I get that same feeling when I see the emoticon here when it's aimed at another person. It hurts even though it's not directed at me. I have used it towards a poster once since I've been here, I remember exactly which post (I believed the person was a troll), and still regret it. It was rude and unnecessary, and I felt so bad I eventually went back and deleted the post with it.

I agree it's up to each of us to make PT a better place, to put some effort into it. What if every person made some commitment in their own mind to make sure one post a day was to welcome a newer person to the board, or to dog/cat/pet of the day, or to give advice on a behavior or health thread, or to give solace in a memorial thread? If every one here decided to do just one of those things even every other day or so, think of the love and support that would put out. I'm just as guilty as the next for thinking "I just don't have time." "I've got too much going on in my own life." etc. etc. For me, I think the worst excuse is that if I post to one the rest will feel left out because I don't have time to post to all of them, so what do I do? I don't post to any! That's not helping anything.

Now honestly though, I have had so much going on. I had problems with my arm, my husband was unemployed for months, I have had extreme pressure from my job, and so on and so forth. I've let all that take over though and left PT behind for weeks now. I didn't even really post when my husband finally got hired again. I thought about it but for some reason I just felt like it wasn't something really of interest to the majority here. I think I had gone so long without really sharing that I just got used to not sharing so much.

This is certainly longer than I intended and I'm now half an hour late getting started on work, but I want to also say: Starting today, because of this post, I'm going to make more of an effort to at least post once, maybe just a couple lines, to one of the pets of the day, or to someone needing comfort, or to someone new to the board, or to someone who posted pics and isn't getting responses. I may not get to everyone, but I will make at least some small difference, and that is the only way to start.

RICHARD
12-23-2004, 12:21 PM
The changes reflect time itself.

I love PT and it's the only site I visit regularly.

I don't have the time or desire to go surfing anyplace else.

-------------------------------
Some people do not see that change is the natural progression of life.

Some people want things to stay the same forever.

Other people see the change, accept it or get left behind.

Some people complain, complain and complain.

I have to laugh when I see people who complain about things that they refuse to change in their personal lives because they do not want to impact their little sphere of comfort.

But they sure will make a huge mountain out of a molehill to get their little agendas heard on the role call----

It's quite entertaining to see people who have absolutely no desire or guts to change a social issue that impacts their safety, health or standard of living, get the cojones to make a huge stink about things that have little or no impact on them.

Watch them go to pot over a thread on a website....
And heaven forbid you reply to them, they automatically start to whimper about people piling on and being rude or inappropriate.

They are more offended by people on a website than they are by people they see everyday- friends, coworker and classmates.

Go figure.

My goodness,

When it comes to taking the bull by the horns they's rather sit behind the fence and cry about how the bull is being mistreated because he lives in a pen, gets fed every days and is treated better than most of us in our everyday lives.

Let the bull run free, as long as it's under THEIR TERMS.

---------------------------------------------

I like to think that we all have lives that revolve around our pets. but we also have the lives that revolve around other aspects in our lives.

I appreciate the job that Karen and Paul do to keep PT running. I also appreciate the latitude of the topics that they have allowed us to explore.

It's just too bad that immature people, people who cannot handle some jokes or topics outside the realm of animal issues,
cannot skip a thread that they may think might not be their cup of tea.

I think that squeaky wheels are important in life.

They remind you how nice it is when you walk instead of jumping into a topic and putting yourself under an 'auditory' assault.;)

Karen
12-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Thanks to everyone for their comments, and to everyone who is going to try to post more (yay!) and more positively! :)

RICHARD
12-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Thanks to everyone for their comments, and to everyone who is going to try to post more (yay!) and more positively! :)

We do have to get that millionth post in.....:D

Kfamr
12-23-2004, 12:43 PM
I know quite a few posts have been specifically pointed towards me in here. I know this, because they're coming from people who dislike me.

I know a lot of people on here with i'm some immature, heartless little child.
These are the same people who have NEVER taken the chance to actually get to know *ME* These are the same people whom call me judgemental yet have never taken the oppurtunity to see where i'm coming from. SO many things are said to me via-PM, Livejournal, AIM -- No one sees them, except me and a few others. Yet the people who say things to me act like they've NEVER said a mean word to me in their life on here, thus since I treat them the same way they treat me, PT seems to think that i'm the wrong-doer. I treat people the same way, no matter where. Going from one website to another isn't going to make my opinion of a person change, the way I treat them change, or the way they treated me change.

Yes, I'll admit i've said some wrong things in the past. Yes, I admit that at times, I can be judgemental... when it comes to animals, especially.
I do think i've grown a lot mentally and matured. I do think i'm a lot better than I used to be. People do like to dwell in the past, though.
But must we dwell in the past? Are we incapable of moving on?

I guess that may sound a bit hypocritical since i've been saying how PT has changed and i'd love for it to be the way it used to be. But, who could blame me? I've grown so attached to this place over the years i've been here. I've made so many wonderful friends, grown so attached to their animals, a lot of the time I think of them as my actually family. And many of them have moved on, many of them have left. I've found mysefl not wanting to be here anymore. I've found myself looking for new forums to share my dogs with. Yes, this makes me sad, and this makes me wish things were back to how they used to be.

I and many others think a lot of PT's problems have to do with the lack of moderators. Karen does an alright job for one person. I understand she is only one person and can only be here for a certain amount of time. But that's the problem, she is only ONE person. If I were her, I'd take some well-respected PT members and appoint them moderators. In example- Aly, Sandra, Jessica, etc. All three are great examples of whom always see *both* sides of the story.

Another suggestion possibly, is to make seperate picture sections.
Dog Pictures, Cat Pictures, Pet Pictures, General Pictures.
This way picture threads won't get burried so easily, like has been commented on.

I really do want PT to be a better place. Recently i've patched up things with quite a few people i've had "tiffs" with in the past. I'm only capable of doing this is others are capable of forgiving and forgetting, and understanding.

RICHARD
12-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

I think that squeaky wheels are important in life.

They remind you how nice it is when you walk instead of jumping into a topic and putting yourself under an 'auditory' assault.;)

http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40.cfm

micki76
12-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Recently i've patched up things with quite a few people i've had "tiffs" with in the past. I'm only capable of doing this is others are capable of forgiving and forgetting, and understanding.

And I'm so glad that you and I were able to do this. :D I consider you a good friend, Kay. It took us awhile, but once we put all that crap behind us look at us now. :)

There was even a subject recently where you and I disagreed, but we were still able to be civil to each other on PT and off. I'm very grateful for that, and for your friendship.

Ew. That was smarmy wasn't it? :p :p :p

popcornbird
12-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Maybe the first step we should take to make PT a better place again is to forgive everyone we've had issues with, forget their mistakes of the past, and start a new page in life. I didn't make this thread for people to complain about the past. What has happened last year, two years ago, three years ago, etc. is long gone and over with. People do change with time, especially younger people, as they have lots to learn in life. I know I wasn't the best of members in the past either, but I know that I have positively changed in several ways. I know others have changed too. I made this thread so it gives us some thoughts about things we did wrong in the past....things we can learn lessons from and change for the good. I made it so we can focus on the future, and make the FUTURE of PT the best it has ever been. We can't make PT great alone. We need to get together to do it. ;)

slick
12-23-2004, 12:59 PM
I must be very stupid.......
I've been on for two years and the only change I've seen are more members and tolls coming and going. I'm not bored with Pet Talk and as far as those "pointless" and "I'm bored" threads are concerned...I just don't read. Simple as that.

The only change I would like to see is a separate section for games and puzzles. They really do clog up the General Section.

Tonya
12-23-2004, 01:05 PM
I know quite a few posts have been specifically pointed towards me in here. I know this, because they're coming from people who dislike me.

I know a lot of people on here with i'm some immature, heartless little child.
These are the same people who have NEVER taken the chance to actually get to know *ME* These are the same people whom call me judgemental yet have never taken the oppurtunity to see where i'm coming from. SO many things are said to me via-PM, Livejournal, AIM -- No one sees them, except me and a few others. Yet the people who say things to me act like they've NEVER said a mean word to me in their life on here, thus since I treat them the same way they treat me, PT seems to think that i'm the wrong-doer. I treat people the same way, no matter where. Going from one website to another isn't going to make my opinion of a person change, the way I treat them change, or the way they treated me change.

Yes, I'll admit i've said some wrong things in the past. Yes, I admit that at times, I can be judgemental... when it comes to animals, especially.
I do think i've grown a lot mentally and matured. I do think i'm a lot better than I used to be. People do like to dwell in the past, though.
But must we dwell in the past? Are we incapable of moving on?

I guess that may sound a bit hypocritical since i've been saying how PT has changed and i'd love for it to be the way it used to be. But, who could blame me? I've grown so attached to this place over the years i've been here. I've made so many wonderful friends, grown so attached to their animals, a lot of the time I think of them as my actually family. And many of them have moved on, many of them have left. I've found mysefl not wanting to be here anymore. I've found myself looking for new forums to share my dogs with. Yes, this makes me sad, and this makes me wish things were back to how they used to be.

I and many others think a lot of PT's problems have to do with the lack of moderators. Karen does an alright job for one person. I understand she is only one person and can only be here for a certain amount of time. But that's the problem, she is only ONE person. If I were her, I'd take some well-respected PT members and appoint them moderators. In example- Aly, Sandra, Jessica, etc. All three are great examples of whom always see *both* sides of the story.

Another suggestion possibly, is to make seperate picture sections.
Dog Pictures, Cat Pictures, Pet Pictures, General Pictures.
This way picture threads won't get burried so easily, like has been commented on.

I really do want PT to be a better place. Recently i've patched up things with quite a few people i've had "tiffs" with in the past. I'm only capable of doing this is others are capable of forgiving and forgetting, and understanding.

I got to know you for over a year before I even said anything. I've given you more then enough opportunity to prove how sweet and compassionate you are. You have done and said alot of very cruel things to alot of people on PT. I'll admit, you have cleaned up alot. But my heart still hurts for all those people that you've damaged in the past.

Kfamr
12-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I got to know you for over a year before I even said anything. I've given you more then enough opportunity to prove how sweet and compassionate you are. You have done and said alot of very cruel things to alot of people on PT. I'll admit, you have cleaned up alot. But my heart still hurts for all those people that you've damaged in the past.

I do not believe you've given me a chance like the many friends I have here. Not at all.

You, and others, really have no clue whatsoever of who I am.
We've exchanged maybe 5 PM's at the most. That's really no way for you to know me, or for me to know you.

And like I said, why dwell in the past? Are we incapable of moving on? Lets be "adults".

popcornbird
12-23-2004, 01:12 PM
*sigh*

I did NOT make this thread for people to start bashing others. Like I said...people do change as they grow, in one way or the other. Kay and I have had our fair share of fights in the past...but I do hope we can get over it someday. I don't want to fight with anyone anymore. I want to learn to be more forgiving. Obviously forgiveness goes both ways though. I know Kay has made mistakes in the past, but she's not alone. None of us are completely innocent. PT's never going to get better unless we realize the problems within ourselves too.

Yes I know you're all going to faint after seeing this post of mine, but I'm hoping to be over with my 'hateful fights'. I'm older now, and should know better. If someone's arguing, that doesn't mean I have to argue back. :p Really though...I do wish to forgive and forget. It just might help make the atmosphere on PT a little better. I wish we could all forgive, forget, and change ourselves for the good. We all make mistakes. We're human beings. If we can realize our mistakes and change ourselves, I think that should erase the problems of the past. That is something I feel we ALL (myself included) need to do.

carole
12-23-2004, 01:17 PM
I really believe PT is what YOU make it, I have been here almost 2 years now, and yes there have been some changes, but not enough to make me leave, I still look forward to my daily fix of PT.

I try to answer as many threads as I can, I don't answer them because I feel I know the person, or for any judgemental reasons, age does not come into it, I think you will find me in all sorts of threads, whether written by newbie's, young or old, controversial, funny, sad, although I tend to try and keep away from the animal cruelty ones, because I can't handle it.

Emotions run high sometimes, and we let them get in the way, and we end up with those argumentative threads, even though no-one really enjoys them, I guess it is a part of human nature.

I appauld Karen and Paul for their job, it is a toughie, and IMO they are doing the best they possibly can.

I think what YOU put into it, YOU will get back, one has to take some things with a grain of salt, and not take it too much to heart,having said that I have had my own feelings hurt once or twice, but I feel I have moved on,and put it all behind me., and even have a healthy respect for that person now, I guess its call forgiveness.

P.S one thing I learn't was to put it all into perspective, getting myself upset for days over someones comments, was just silly, I had much more important issues in real life to deal with,and just had to put these feelings on the back-burner and get over it. It wasn't easy, but better for my own well-being.:)

RICHARD
12-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
If we can realize our mistakes and change ourselves, I think that should erase the problems of the past. That is something I feel we ALL (myself included) need to do.

Count me in.

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/Sku.asp?PageType=1&Sku=271031

catland
12-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by carole
I really believe PT is what YOU make it, I have been here almost 2 years now, and yes there have been some changes, but not enough to make me leave, I still look forward to my daily fix of PT.

Works for me.:D :D

Richard - lol:rolleyes:

Miranda_Rae
12-23-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by micki76
Oh, and don’t even get me started on some of the subjects in the Dog House (on a supposedly family friendly site). I will say this, regardless of whether a child encounters these things in the real world or not, many parents would kick their kids (that’s ANYONE under 18) right off PT and forbid them to participate here anymore if they were to catch them viewing a thread about ILLEGAL drugs, drinking and such. I can imagine as a parent that I would expect PET TALK to be a fun, happy (read: relatively safe) place for my child to surf. I would go so far as to say that for many older teens the Dog House should be safe and certainly not encourage them to break the law. It’s bad enough to have other kids their age encouraging ILLEGAL activity, but to have adults doing it on a FAMILY friendly website just makes me realize that PT is in deep trouble. I thought the DH was for controversial subjects, but apparently it's a lot more than the normal "debate" forum that I thought it was intended for. :confused: Other forums I frequent have "debate" sections, but they still don't take it to the level that the DH sometimes reaches. :(

I couldn't agree more Micki! Some of the stuff that I have read in the DH shocked me. I couldn't beleive it was on a family forum, and even though I am 16 and am getting closer to an adult, some of that stuff I just plain don't want to know about or read, and sometimes its just down right discusting.

When I was lurking for those two years, yes people had their fights and tiffs and those are one of the many reasons I kept away from becoming a member. One thing I don't like though, is how some people can start saying a bunch of things about a situation that someone is in without even BEING in that situation, or saying things about people when they don't even know if they are true or not. I have learned to expect some harsh responses, and I've tried to put on my little armor (which is hard cause I'm sensative), but that doesn't mean that I hate PT. I love PT because its different than other forums because its like a little family. I have learned to treat everyone on here as humans with feelings, because they are, even though we are just communicating through the computer, they still have feelings.

The whole troll thing may have made everyone suspicious about "newbies", and yes I will admit it has made me suspicious sometimes too, but I try to look at them as genuine people until its proven otherwise. There are only a few people that I have corresponded with, and two of those are people that I trust, and I would LOVE to meet them some day. :)

All in all, PT has changed, it does seem slower, but I think it *might* be because people are second guessing about posting, like Kay said. I sometimes do that too, because I am afraid that people will think the thread is stupid or dumb, and so sometimes I just go, "Forget it" but I try to go, well if its important to me, then I'm going to post it. :)

carole
12-23-2004, 01:50 PM
As for people posting threads that are considered boring, or ones like I am bored, they don't really bother me, I figure if stopping by in these threads can help that person in anyway, even if it is just plain bordem, then hey why not, and besides what one person may consider boring another does not.

We should all feel free to post about things in our life that we feel are important or simply things we wish to share without having to worry if we are boring someone, as long as they are not offensive or unkind, then surely its ok to do so.

Gosh I am sure I have bored the pants off some of you, just with my threads re my mother's birthday or whatever, but because I consider PT an important part of my daily life, I just cannot help myself and share almost everything.:)

Queen of Poop
12-23-2004, 02:01 PM
I joined PT to talk with people who loved animals as much as I do. It's been a dreadful pet year for me and at times I needed and received support from you all, for which I am eternally grateful. Everything and everyone changes and evolves. I am glad that there is a place where pet chats can take place. I'd like to be so bold as to suggest we all contemplate what has been said in this thread and come back with a new zest for talking about our pets in the New Year. 2004 has been a bad year. 2005 WILL BE MUCH BETTER!!!:)

By the way, Sebastian recovered from his adrenal surgery and is back to his old ferret self!!!

tatsxxx11
12-23-2004, 02:06 PM
What happy news, QSA!!! I try to follow up on all the sick ones, dog, cats, critters, birdies...:) So glad to hear that Sebastian is doing so well:)

aly
12-23-2004, 02:08 PM
YAY for Sebastian! I'm so glad that is all over with :D

finn's mom
12-23-2004, 02:19 PM
this is the most I've read on Pet Talk in a while! This thread is a great idea, I think. :) It's nice to see people's compassionate sides!

RICHARD
12-23-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Queen of Poop
I'd like to be so bold as to suggest we all contemplate what has been said in this thread and come back with a new zest for talking about our pets in the New Year

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp46675_332828_sespider/zest/value_pack_bar_soap_4_5_oz_bars_aqua_pure.htm

Are you saying we don't bathe??? ;)

Originally posted by micki76
I would go so far as to say that for many older teens the Dog House should be safe and certainly not encourage them to break the law. It’s bad enough to have other kids their age encouraging ILLEGAL activity, but to have adults doing it on a FAMILY friendly website just makes me realize that PT is in deep trouble.

I do not remember seeing anyone advocate, condone or telling anyone to go out and break the law. Now if some kid decides to do something that they read about on the Internet, I'd cuff the parents upside the head for raising a follower, not a leader.

Most/some of us were merely relating our past experiences in a humorous manner.

Having people relate those stories sure took some batonga-wongas.....
-----------------

I find it's more irritating to physically be in the vicinity of someone infringing on my space.

When someone trashes my visual space, I blink or close my eyes.

And should we forget about how many kids are going on the internet this Xmas, with computers bought by their parents-
They are then left to surf and look for porn, search for instructions to make fireworks, explosives, get directions to rave parties and post hate message on their journals....

Did I mention hacking into school computers to change their grades????
--------------------

I apologize if you were offended by any of the stories I posted or
if it sounded like I endorsed the use of an illegal substances.

But then again, When I found out that an old Mexcian remedy for arthritis was to soak marijuana in alcohol and apply it to your aching joints- it raised my RB grandmother to a saintly level in my eyes.

I knew right then that she didn't inhale.:D

cloverfdx
12-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Very well said Richard

Having people relate those stories sure took some batonga-wongas.....
LMAO :D

jenluckenbach
12-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Hi PCB, I am here, does that count? :o

I actually don't know what to say, but I thought I would show you that I was reading....) :)

teenster3
12-25-2004, 07:56 PM
I must be out of the "norm" here....
I didn't go through what everyone on here had to say about Pet Talk changing over the year/s. I haven't been on here extremely long (and probably not considered "an old timer") but still come on when I'm not busy or have something to say. I guess I'm not quite sure what you're talking about CHANGE? Doesn't everyone in life go through changes? I'm sure not everyone here has something to say all the time or something great to say all the time either. I thought this was a place to share thoughts, feelings, opinions, advice, etc. (and I mean anything anyone has to say should be accepted whether other's think it's right or wrong, it's how a person feels & people should respect that in itself....life is just too short)
I feel that I have tried my BEST to learn to get to know other's on here & don't always get a response back at times. I've signed up for the gift swap, given to someone that didn't receive anything, & sent out Christmas cards as well "to get to know people". I don't want to be "rewarded" for my actions, I'm just saying that I feel I've done my part in trying to get to know people here.
I've tried to come up with different threads, polls, etc. to get people to talk about different subjects. I've also asked advice & tried to give at times.
I guess I'm not quite sure what people are looking for. Is it that so many individuals are joining & no one knows them well? How do you "get to know" people if not for asking questions & chatting.
I love all the varieties of threads posted daily.....not too many seem to be the same. I really enjoy getting a laugh but can be serious as well.
Here I go blah, blah, blah......my favorite pastime, talking.
Seriously, this is all I have to say & is my opinion alone!
:confused:
TiNa

DogLover9501
12-25-2004, 09:00 PM
I agree with ALOT of this stuff!

A *huge* part of it for me, is about the dog side, and also pictures.

75% of the pictures I take, I take for PT, to share them, and when I first joined, I would be *really* excited to post pictures and to read replies.

Now, I just don't know if it's worth it or not, and NOW I don't keep checking every 10 minutes for replies, because 5-12 is the most I usually get(on the dog side), even though I try to reply to everyones :(

Now when I visit PT, I usually go right to the cat side, as there, if you posted 20 pictures everyday, you'd get just as many replies, and also they even reply to stories that you share, as the dog side don't usually.

I don't *think* that it's different BECAUSE of the cat/dog thing, I just think there's different people on the cat side than on the dog side.

On the dog side, if you bring up something like tail docking, ear cropping..etc, it will turn into something REALLY bad, with alot of ":rolleyes:" faces and other things like that, as on the cat side, if something like de-clawing is brought up, it's discussed without any of those things, and I like that.

Another thing that brings PT down is when people gang up on people, or bash people without even being in their shoes and without even knowing the entire situation, and it hurts alot of members, and most members have left because of arguments and hurtful things that were said.

I also used to spend HOURS on PT, and it would be my home-page and the first place I'd visit when I got up and the last place I'd visit before bed, but not now.

I still browse everyday, but I go to post and sometimes wonder what the use is, I was also planning to take a break from PT a couple weeks ago.

I really hope we can fix this, and become *way* more like a family than we are now, like we used to be :(

GoldenRetrLuver
12-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
On the dog side, if you bring up something like tail docking, ear cropping..etc, it will turn into something REALLY bad, with alot of ":rolleyes:" faces and other things like that, as on the cat side, if something like de-clawing is brought up, it's discussed without any of those things, and I like that.

I agree, but I also disagree. The dog side CAN get pretty heated when some of those "hot topics" are brought up, but I've seen the "cat side" get into many arguments/debates as well (such as declawing, and leaving cats outdoors), and some of them have ended badly. There's always going to be hot subjects on either side.. dog or cat. I'm starting to get really sick with all of this cat side versus dog side drama.

Anyway, I meant no offense to you with this post, Robyn. I'd love to see more pictures of your pups when you get the chance. I never get tired of them. :)

Personally, I think the board has sped up a little bit, and will probably (or should I say *hopefully*?) speed up more when the holidays pass.

Amber
12-25-2004, 09:46 PM
Oh how I agree Robyn!

Their are times when I want to tell funny stories of Elvis, but I always second think and always decide not to post, because I dont want to seem like a "loser" or something and not get any replies. It hurts, really. Even though your thread is veiwed alot, its the replies that count too.

Same goes as pictures. Their is a HUGE difference when I post pictures of my dogs. When I'm begged to death for Katie pictures I end up with 5-6 or so replies. But when I post pictures of Elvis I get a ton more replies.

Now, I know this thread isn't directed to this topic, but I just wanted to say it out.

Kfamr
12-25-2004, 10:08 PM
Robyn, sorry, but I have to disagree with your post.

I guess it's different for everyone, but it seems as if the cat side has always been like this to me, and a few of the cat-frequenters have always been bitter towards non cat-frequenters.

I had a lot more typed out about my negative experiences with the cat-side, but I deleted it once I typed it out, just to get it off my mind.

Maybe this shouldn't still shouldn't be said, but I felt I needed to say something.

I guess we probably shouldn't have this Cat Gen. VS Others Discussion, as I'd like for it to change, but it'll never change unless everyone is willing to help the change.

I'd like to see all "Congrats", Birthday, Nephew/Niece/Family, ect posts made in general, instead of just in Cat General, or just in Dog General. Going in Cat General, and seeing those threads in there make it feel like it wasn't meant for the whole board to see, or it wasn't meant for us to congratulate someone.
It's also rather un-inviting if it's just cross-posted. Why can't it just be in general? Why can't the Cat/Dog people just come in general to see that stuff?

I think if everyone were able to spread out more it'd make Pet Talk a more family-like place. I understand they want their close friends to see it, but why can't everyone become friends, and then post where everyone else posts Congrats/Birthday threads - for everybody to see. I mean, afterall, no matter which type of pet we own, or owns us -- we're still all here for the same exact reason. We love our animals dearly.

I guess i'm just blabbing and no one even cares, but i'd just like to see this place become more friendly instead of everyone being bitter towards eachother.

Amber
12-25-2004, 10:14 PM
Kay, i agree.

Maybe we just need to COMBINE, yes combine pet talk where cat and dog topics go in the same Pet general type of thing. That way, PT will become more closer, it will save people time who say. "I dont have time to go to every section of PT" plus both cat & dog people can comment on everyones pictures, and stories. Maybe that will keep things livley and everyone together?

Kfamr
12-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Although it's a good idea, i'm not sure about combining as threads already do get burried quickly - and with two very active sections being combined, everything's bound to be burried.

I think we all just need to open up to other people, and become more as ONE forum rather than 3 seperate ones.

I mean, I understand not everyone has the time, but it doesn't take much longer to look at the different sections of PT.

DogLover9501
12-25-2004, 10:18 PM
Im glad someone knows how I feel!

Also my post has nothing to do with dog side vs. cat side, I phrased it that way, not because of the dog or cat side, but because of the people, some people(who are dog people/mostly post on the dog side) are very opinionated, or they flame people, and on the cat side things seem to get "worked out" really quickly, or avoided.

It's not BECAUSE they are "cat people" from the "cat side", it just seems that alot of the "cat people" listen to both sides or stories without trying to act like they know everything and also just give 100% opinions and no bashing, as on the dog side things turn into wars(the Arthur thing, the greyhound racing thing..etc).

Anyway my point is, it had nothing to do with cat side vs. dog side, I phrased it that way because there is a big difference, and if there wasn't, they wouldn't seem so different.

Amber
12-25-2004, 10:21 PM
threads already do get burried quickly - and with two very active sections being combined, everything's bound to be burried.

i forgot about that part. Your right, we just need to be more open to other threads.

DogLover9501
12-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Sorry to post right away again, but I wanted to reply to something.

Alot of birthdays, family members, pillar..etc posts ARE posted in CG, mostly because alot of "cat people" stay on the cat side and don't visit the other places, so the people who post them do not want their friends to miss them.

So that's where I agree that everyone should take a little bit of time to visit each area.

Kfamr
12-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Im glad someone knows how I feel!

Also my post has nothing to do with dog side vs. cat side, I phrased it that way, not because of the dog or cat side, but because of the people, some people(who are dog people/mostly post on the dog side) are very opinionated, or they flame people, and on the cat side things seem to get "worked out" really quickly, or avoided.

It's not BECAUSE they are "cat people" from the "cat side", it just seems that alot of the "cat people" listen to both sides or stories without trying to act like they know everything and also just give 100% opinions and no bashing, as on the dog side things turn into wars(the Arthur thing, the greyhound racing thing..etc).

Anyway my point is, it had nothing to do with cat side vs. dog side, I phrased it that way because there is a big difference, and if there wasn't, they wouldn't seem so different.

Oh, I know Robyn!

It's just that my post leaded into that after I began typing.

And that's the part that I disagree with -- the dog side flaming people and the cat side getting worked out.
I think the "cat side/cat people" are just as bad (for lack of better term) as the "dog side/dog people".

I know that my dog was wrongly judged when I thought of getting a cat, and I was flamed for wanting to get a cat/it's living situation. Which BTW, I highly appreciate those who stood by me and SAW both sides, but a majority did not, and a most of those who did see both sides were those that were more frequent to the other sections of PT.

Something you've got to understand about the greyhound racing stuff as well, someone recruited a whole other forum for that, and that's where most of the controversy came from.

I just really think people need to be more open to other sections, as I've tried, but cannot do if no one bothers to reply.

DogLover9501
12-25-2004, 10:47 PM
I guess I was thinking that way because I have *never* seen/heard of a "cat side" argument/war, except for the one that also involved "dog people" who were offended by a post, and I know alot of people are different than I am, but when I am offended I just avoid the situation.

I, too, wish everyone would just take some time and visit each part of PT, They can still have their favorite/most visited area, but is shouldn't be the only area they visit.

I know that alot of "cat people" don't feel comfortable on the "dog side", they feel as if they can't "fit in", and the same thing the other way around.

I feel pretty "fit in" on both sides, except for lately.

aly
12-26-2004, 02:12 AM
There are just as many controversial things that happen on the cat side as there are on the dog side. I've seen many a declawing thread and indoor vs. outdoor thread turn plain nasty. I don't know WHY so many people keep talking down about the dog side lately but it is really bringing my spirits down. The greyhound issue ended very nicely, and for being such a heated thread, that says a lot about the dog people.

I'm sad about the whole dog side vs cat side debate and I feel extremely uncomfortable when I read posts about it. If you feel more comfortable on one side, then simply post there and don't visit the other. Publicly talking about how awful the other side is really brings down morale. Not addressing anyone in this thread, but I've recently seen some horrid things written about the dog side.

wolf_Q
12-26-2004, 02:32 AM
I don't really have anything to say that hasn't already been said. So I'll just add that I agree with the original post and many of the other posts.

It just isn't the same. I've been trying to enjoy it tonight, on a bit of a weird posting spree....I hope it works. ;)

cloverfdx
12-26-2004, 06:00 AM
Now when I visit PT, I usually go right to the cat side, as there, if you posted 20 pictures everyday, you'd get just as many replies, and also they even reply to stories that you share, as the dog side don't usually.

Unfortunatly i have to disagree with you there Robyn, last time i posted something about my dear Yumi cat (Who i am crazy about and LOVE dearly) i got about a 3 whole replys :(, and it was something quite important to my myself and to Yumi.

I have plenty of photos and videos of her that i am going to post in the next couple of days or when i have the time ;). And Robyn i LOVE seeing photos and hearing/ reading about your pups *Couch* Jasper especially *Cough*.

EssTer
12-26-2004, 07:21 AM
When I came first here PT was bit different.... I´ve noticed that quite many great members arent here anymore.. and it´s just sad :(

lbaker
12-26-2004, 07:42 AM
I have and love cats and dogs, and now a snake.. and absolutely ADORE some special bunnies and birds I've "met" here. I don't take sides. I also visit General and the DogHouse and every other thread I have time for. I usually go to "Today's Topics" to see what's going on. I just go on from there. I happen to love a monkey named Mario and also a frog named Sipowitz. Years ago there was a buffalo as "PetoftheDay" that made me smile for weeks. That duck that would sneak up onto "Grandma's" kitchen counter too! Sides? Who has time or energy or even a desire to TAKE SIDES when it comes to our beloved pets? That's why Karen and Paul named this PET OF THE DAY. There are plenty of special WEB sites that specialize in a particular breed or species. This site encompasses them all, AND THAT'S THE POINT

DogLover9501
12-26-2004, 09:01 AM
I already said this, but this isn't a cat side vs. dog side thing, it's simply the way I phrased it.

Also the greyhound thing didn't end *that* good, I couldn't even post a picture of my new greyhound cousin without things starting.

Originally posted by cloverfdx
Unfortunatly i have to disagree with you there Robyn, last time i posted something about my dear Yumi cat (Who i am crazy about and LOVE dearly) i got about a 3 whole replys :(, and it was something quite important to my myself and to Yumi.

I have plenty of photos and videos of her that i am going to post in the next couple of days or when i have the time ;). And Robyn i LOVE seeing photos and hearing/ reading about your pups *Couch* Jasper especially *Cough*.

Thanks Rhiannon :D

Also, sometimes you just need to bump your thread up in CG, and also your time zone is alot different than a few people's(like mine), and so I didn't even see the pictures of Yumi :( But I will be looking out for them through out the next couple days ;)

Randi
12-26-2004, 09:39 AM
PCB, I too feel that PT has changed in the three years I've been here - and of course it has! New members join and some leave. But I also know that some people have lost interest in PT for the reasons mentioned in this thread - and what a shame! :( I won't say I've lost interest, however, as PT grows, it is timeconsuming to keep up with all the threads I'd like to, so I have chosen to use my time mostly on the CAT and General sections. I have not been posting much lately for two reasons, I haven't felt very inspired and when I'm tired I don't express myself too well. I also got a job which took most of my time.
Growing as big as PT has, it's enevitable that some members are forming cliques, and that's OK, as long as we also keep our eyes open for other posters and newcomers.

It's sad to see the "oldtimers" leave. I miss some of them - just to name a few .... Sirocco, C.C.'s mom, Bisi.Cat, Gio, Yorkster, AntiPam, Wayne0214, and now also Pam - but I do enjoy a lot of the newer members posts. :)

It seems that many are very cautious about posting, and that's a pity, but at the same time, I also think the below quotes are valid.

When you post a thread, it should be of interest to other people, that's why it's a forum - for discussions! If there is nothing to say, do not say it. Sometimes I go back to check threads I've missed and I see many interesting threads go to the 3rd or 4th page because some people start threads just to keep themselves busy and the first page is just full of them.

We have people posting "I’m bored" threads. We have people who respond to a post with a smilie or some silly comment, just cause it will make them a pillar quicker. We have people creating threads with the same subjects over and over.
This, I'm sure, is one of the reasons that many just ignore these posters - and will keep doing it, even if they should post something interesting later on. Some are posting like there's no tomorrow. I definately prefer quality over quantity, and I think most do.

Concerning "trolls", I haven't noticed many, but in any case, if you don't "feed them", they won't think it's so funny, and they'll probably leave.

Kfamr
12-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Also the greyhound thing didn't end *that* good, I couldn't even post a picture of my new greyhound cousin without things starting.

Like I said, you've got to understand that a lot of the Greyhound stuff was because of the people from another forum. I do believe it would have ended very nicely, quicker -- but, a whole other forum jumped in on it. I do believe now, it's ended fairly well, but it was carried on and on by those who were just merely visiting PT for the first time.

DogLover9501
12-26-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Randi
Some are posting like there's no tomorrow. I definately prefer quality over quantity, and I think most do.

I agree-Quality over Quantity! There are/were a few members who acted like PT was a GAME, and that their post count were like POINTS and they'd reply to threads JUST to move their post count up, and that definatly would make people avoid this poster, thinking that all their posts are just posted to bring up their post count.

Like I said, you've got to understand that a lot of the Greyhound stuff was because of the people from another forum. I do believe it would have ended very nicely, quicker -- but, a whole other forum jumped in on it. I do believe now, it's ended fairly well, but it was carried on and on by those who were just merely visiting PT for the first time.

That's true, everything was alot worse when someone dragged a whole other forum into our discussion, so yeah that's true-the PT side of that discussion ended well, it was just the other forum that kept it going, sorry.

ScantyNebula
12-26-2004, 03:49 PM
Wow, that was a lot of reading! There's really nothing I can add that would be different from what everybody else was saying. I do agree that things have changed and I'm not 'addicted' like i used to be .. I just check in every now and then. Its unfortunate cause I used to have such a blast here ... but its a new year .. things may change for the better.

And I am all for adding new Moderators .. a board of this size could certainly use them.

Corinna
12-26-2004, 06:19 PM
I beleive Karen tried it for a while and . Becouse we are each different . She chose to pull the plug on it. I remember being admonished for a small offense by a subsute and I left for about 6 months . Karen and Paul I think are the only ones who should moderate and its their site . They started it and pay for it. We need to remember that point we all get this for free. Anyone haveing a website knows how much it costs , can you even imagine how much it runs them . It seems they have to upgrade their searving stuff about evey 6-8 months.
We shouldn't fight over the site just use the shopping store method you don't want it don't buy it. But its there for someone else who might need it.

Cataholic
12-27-2004, 12:45 PM
I agree with the other Johanna (Scanty Nebula...he he he). I am just not into it like I used to be. For several reasons, some PT related, some personal.

Like most people, I am most comfortable with that which is familiar. So, I go to the threads of people I 'know'. I dislike intensely those that post just to get their counts up. Now, while I can't say for certain that is the reason they post- but, when I read the thread starter, that is the ONLY thing that comes to this 39 y.o. mind. I hate to wade through all that junk (that is my word choice, I have used it before, and gotten the flack already :p ) to get to the beautiful pics of the pets, or the funny stories, etc.

I do think PT has changed over the last year. Good? Bad? I don't really know. But, it isn't the same to me anymore.

carole
12-27-2004, 05:48 PM
It saddens me to read so many of you are dis-satisfied with PT, I myself still enjoy it just the same, I take the good with the bad, regardless I would not miss coming online for the world, Johanna maybe that little cutie pie of your's is one big reason you don't stop by as much.:)

Well I can only hope old members will continue to stop by from time to time, and new one's will find PT the special place that I do. cheers everyone.:)

LoudLou
12-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
...It's just too bad that immature people, people who cannot handle some jokes or topics outside the realm of animal issues,
cannot skip a thread that they may think might not be their cup of tea...

Richard, once again you have taken the words right out of my mouth... Thank You.
I have been a member of this board for a few years now, and I have to say that this is the one thing that bothers me most. It's seems so simple, If you don't like the thread why post in it?

I may not post a lot here. I have to admit that it's mostly because this board has almost become like "Walking on egg shells". Do I post some witty come back to this or that or do I join this conversation, only to have someone get offened at something I thought was funny but they didn't... and so on. There have been many funny entertaining threads on this board, I love to read them. Unfortunately, about the time I get around to wanting to join in on them or have something to say, they get deleted or they seem to turn in to a heated mess. So, I stay out of it.

I appreciate Karen and Paul for ALL the things they do for this site, It IS VERY HARD WORK. BIG Kudos to them!

I know from my own experience though that you can not be everything to all people, and sometimes that is just what some people do not understand. If there are many people having a good time in a particular thread or talking about something you don't like... MOVE on to something else, I don't know Why that is so hard.

Whew! Ok I think I've said my peace on this...

sasvermont
12-27-2004, 07:54 PM
I do believe that forums such as Pet Talk have a life of their own. Of course there is a change from time to time. Can you imagine what it would be like to have total agreement and everyone thinking the same.....sort of the "Stepford Website" as in Stepford Wives".... everyone thinking the same, saying the same thing...posting the perfect reply.

I think that this forum resembles much of life.....constant change....just like all relationships....

I post less often because I am very busy..... and I do still enjoy reading many of the posts....

Has it changed? Yes, was I surprised, of course not!

Love to all - even though they have changed!

SAS

dukedogsmom
12-27-2004, 08:06 PM
I agree with Richard and Loudlou.

aly
12-27-2004, 08:19 PM
I think the reason why some people complain about threads is because this is a family site. I have posted in a thread a few times politely suggesting that it may not be for kids (at least I thought it was polite every time, some may not agree). I only post because I know for sure I wouldn't want my child reading stuff like that and I know that there are children reading it. Although I'm not a mother, I have such a strong motherly instinct, I can't help it. I ignore threads that I find annoying or really don't like myself as long as they don't have something offensive in them. I have never posted in a thread simply to say I don't like it personally if it was a clean subject and not offensive to children.

Twisterdog
12-27-2004, 08:49 PM
...It's just too bad that immature people, people who cannot handle some jokes or topics outside the realm of animal issues, cannot skip a thread that they may think might not be their cup of tea...

Exactly. This is the main reason I don't post or read nearly as much as used to here. I understand that this is a family oriented site, and that's great. But, IMHO, things are censored a bit TOO much at times. I am hesitant to post ANYthing that might be even the slightest bit questionable; even though, in the opinion of probably 90% of the people who might read it, it would be rated PG at the worst. Between the ultra-puritanism that sometimes seems to prevail here, and the general lack of maturity and empathy that often presents itself, I grow weary of feeling like I'm either in seventh grade study hall or in the principal's office.

LoudLou
12-27-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
Exactly. This is the main reason I don't post or read nearly as much as used to here. I understand that this is a family oriented site, and that's great. But, IMHO, things are censored a bit TOO much at times. I am hesitant to post ANYthing that might be even the slightest bit questionable; even though, in the opinion of probably 90% of the people who might read it, it would be rated PG at the worst. Between the ultra-puritanism that sometimes seems to prevail here, and the general lack of maturity and empathy that often presents itself, I grow weary of feeling like I'm either in seventh grade study hall or in the principal's office.

EXACTLY!

aly
12-27-2004, 09:37 PM
Well some look at it as ultra-puritanism, but there is a time and place for everthing. A family pet site is not the place for adult humor (which I happen to enjoy very much OFF of this site - ask any of my AIM buddies. I just refuse to make light of that while children read it).

flamepony12
12-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Like Amber, (CamCamPup33) I agree but disagree. I am not sick of PT, I still love it. :) but I have to agree with PCB. Most of the time that I check PT, not much more is going on. Even though I only joined 7 months ago, I feel as if in my first month or two, PT was a huge, active place, a new thread everywhere you looked. I agree that a lot of posters that we have grown quite fond of have mostly become lurkers. :(

I also think that a lot of this "troll" stuff has been splitting pettalk up from a big family into little groups. The trolls come on here just to make trouble, and when they offend certain people, they cause fights between groups at a time. I believe that, even though it is something some might not be able to get over, this is why we have lost, or at least lost sight of, many fellow PTers. :(

I completely agree with what Corinna said, about Karen and Paul being wonderful moderators, and that it's their job, and that they pay a lot of money for us to have fun and get along. But I also have to say that on a forum that my mom posts on, Goldfish Paradise, has about 15 or more active moderators. If a troll comes in, they're out right away. We also have to take into consideration that we have about 7,500 members. Her forum only has about 3,000. I'm not saying we don't have enough moderators, I'm just comparing it to some other forums that are a lot smaller than PT and have tons of mods.

I also think that you shouldnt have to review posts right before you post them. Like PCB said, just post it and have some fun! :) I think it's sad that some people are afraid to post just because they think people will jump down their throats for it. :( I know it's not that simple, but I wish we could just stop ganging up on each other.

Since this is a family site, I completely agree with what everyone has already said about "censory". Also, so many people say, "Ignore the trolls", and "Just dont look at their posts", but end up looking and starting fights anyway. If you practice what you preach, you will put them on your ignore list. you will not be able to see their posts, and therefore will not be tempted to reply. :rolleyes:

I think we should all give a HUGE thanks to Karen and Paul for making PT such a fun place to be. We all know how hard they work. :D -Cheers!-

*gasp* okay, i think that's all I have to say. :D

carole
12-28-2004, 06:08 PM
I so agree with you saversmont, and Aly, there is indeed a time a place for everything, I am not even close to being a prude, neither am I without humour, what one might see as humour another may not, yeah so we could just all stay away from threads that bother us, which I do frequently, but sometimes I feel the need to say what I think, what is so wrong with that.

Gosh I hardly think PT is censored at all, we have all touched on some pretty controversial subjects, and like the rest I enjoy a good healthy debate, when it turns nasty or offensive, that I am not so fond of, but one weathers the storm, and trys to remember the old saying "like water off a ducks back"

I donot consider people who have different views on something being immature because they decide to post and say so, sometimes one could say maybe the thread starter was immature in the first place to start such a thread, knowing full well it may indeed start controversy, but hey that is what it is all about freedom of speech,which can be done with tact,maturity, and non-offensive if one trys.

I say BRING IT ON, I love PT as much today as yesterday, and I have no real complaints, I have learned much from my visits here, I have learn't to be more humble, less critical (NB: I say less,) more sympathetic, to laugh more and be darn thankful for what I have, so for me its been a positive place to be.

wolfsoul
12-30-2004, 03:44 PM
I was #8 on the 25 top posters list just a few months ago. Now I am #15. I also feel that PT has gone downhill. I will continue to browse, and I will post sometimes, but lately for the most part I just don't find PT very exciting anymore. I used to be addicted, but now if I take a break, I don't go through "PT withdrawal" at all. I feel that we have lost alot of good members.

lbaker
12-31-2004, 03:39 PM
Lighten up everyone. Tomorrow is the beginning of a brand new year. PetTalk is what you make of it and it happens to suit me just fine. Thank you Karen & Paul and I just hope we can all just enjoy the moments we have.

GraciesMommy
12-31-2004, 05:01 PM
I have been gone for over a week and when I came back and come to PT I am overwhelmed by ALL I missed..granted I have only been here a few months...but I feel like I will never catch up on everything...lol...

carole
12-31-2004, 07:31 PM
Ibaker you took the words right out of my mouth, my sentiments exactly. :)

teenster3
12-14-2006, 06:49 PM
I haven't been on here in a VERY longggggggg time.

I actually just thought about unsubscribing to this site, when I came across this post.
I often visit another post now & thought why did I stop writing here?!

To tell you the truth I wasn't sure until I realized it was something that happened with the gift swap here that I wasn't impressed with at all.

There are a lot of sites I feel I haven't neccessarily made friends on but like to talk so I post on what I know or can relate to.

I think people need to post funny stories along with vents or posts that others can relate to.
Maybe something else to get your mind off of troubles or whatever the case may be.

For me, it's not been a good year & I'm looking forward to 2006 being over.

I did end up having a son last Sept., which is great news.

My dear, sweet, father passed away this past March 2006 when my son just turned 6 months old.

My grandmother isn't doing well & now my hubby & I have my own mother staying with us until she sorts out her life after losing my dad.
Also my aunt (dad's sister) passed away this past Nov.

I had a friend pass away last Christmas, 2005 whom I hadn't spoken with in over 3 years.
Still wondering why things never got resolved before her passing (she was only 31).

I still have my Lhasa (Wicket) & 6 Koi in the pond outside but we are down to 1 tank fish & when it goes, no more tank fish inside.
We also have my old dog (Yorkie, Tango) who my dad wanted to keep when I moved out a long time ago, is now staying with us as well, he is 13 years old & Wicket is 6.

So life here has not only been crazy, but sad, very sad at times as well!

I would very much enjoy talking with everyone here!

Maybe we could set up some kind of funny post to get others talking.

Just putting my 2 cents in I guess.

Tina

joycenalex
12-14-2006, 07:26 PM
welcome back tina. sounds as though it's been a hard and full year.

carole
12-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Well i think i could be almost classed as an old timer now coming up for my fourth year, i really have no complaints, i am the only NZer who seems to stay with PT, but i love it here, some days i stay for ages ,other times for a short while really depends on my mood and what interests me, you know what might appear boring to one is not necessarily to others, i can see how the I am bored threads fustrate people, but sometimes i check them out, because usually when someone is writing something like that, they may need just a bit of cheering up,so i don't think we should be too harsh.

I have had my differences with a few like everyone else, but nothing that would keep me away from PT,I have come close to that way of thinking but then i told myself what the heck,I am not going to let a little tiff ruin my enjoyment here,so here i am, i envisage myself to be here ten yrs from now, I have gained so much from this site, education being one of them, i am so in tune with my cats now because of PT, and i have become a much more involved member of society because of it, so i have nothing but praise for it's wonderful member's,who have given me so much advice and support and caring over the years, and of course to the Karen and Paul , thanks so much for starting this website, i am sure my views are shared by many others.

It is sad some of you feel disillusioned with PT, i really think it is what you make it . :)

moosmom
12-14-2006, 08:48 PM
It is sad some of you feel disillusioned with PT, i really think it is what you make it

Amen to that, Carole.

People seem to come and go here on PT. However, the long time members are still here. Maybe not posting as much, but hey, everyone has lives. I don't post as much as I used to either. Doesn't mean I think it's lost it's luster. I've also taken a break from here. I love it here and will never give it up. I consider the members of PT my cyber-family. Don't know what I'd do without them.

Argranade
12-14-2006, 09:02 PM
To be honest I just go and scan on this site,

I only reply to the intresting posts because if there boring I just flip by, I feel kinda bad doing this but that's just how I am, even if somthing is sad I'll just scan it because I feel I'll get bored with the loonnnggg threads.

PT is not realy boring .. altho I wish more people would join lol.

tikeyas_mom
12-14-2006, 09:58 PM
I do agree with you popcornbird.. I have nocited that this board has gotten a little quiet.. maybe it because of all thre trolls? or maybe its because us "long time" members are growing up.. and we all have busy lives and no so much free time to come on pettalk... I do have to say though (Its great to see everyones *new and old* members replying on this thread!!!) :D
I really think we all need to start posting again, more and more.. I miss all you guys!! member the HUGE christmas card swaps we would participate in, and the gift exchanges!!!

i bet everyone of the "long time members" wrote a thread about the big changes (good or bad) in their lives then we would know why people have been "missing" or not around as much. I know I have changed ALOT since I first joined this board many years ago.

wolf_Q
12-14-2006, 10:06 PM
To tell you the truth I wasn't sure until I realized it was something that happened with the gift swap here that I wasn't impressed with at all.

Hi, welcome back. I know that you didn't receive a gift from the person who was originally supposed to send to you, but several members got together and sent you a package....I guess that wasn't enough to leave a good impression though...

Karen
12-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Um, folks, remember - the original post in this thread is from 2 years ago ... and teenster, welcome back!

borzoimom
12-14-2006, 10:54 PM
Well I will admit- there are some days its quiet, but thats only because I am on here every day.- but it never ceases to amaze me in one night- like dog general- the whole page will move in like 12 hours. I have found this a wonderful site, full of people, and totally enjoying it!

gini
12-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Gosh, I was surprised to see this thread pop back up again.

All of us have such busy lives - me too - but I come here to visit with friends - see what is going on and I always walk away having learned something new, or had a good laugh, or at times, a good cry.

Yes, Pet Talk is "us" - we make it what it is - a happy place most of the time.

All you have to do is look for the new kitty or puppy pictures and you can't help but smile - and we have so many darling new babies to see.

I, for the moment, am totally enthralled by the anteater who has joined us.

RedHedd
12-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Gosh, I was surprised to see this thread pop back up again. Me too; it seems to come up a few times a year. It's the holidays and people are just busier than at other times of the year. PT is one of the sites I check every single day. I may not post too much and don't post pics as often anymore, but I do peruse the posts. I must admit I don't pay attention to or reply to posts that are so badly written (spelling/grammar) that I can barely understand what the writer is trying to say, but there's another thread for THAT issue. :rolleyes:

I, for the moment, am totally enthralled by the anteater who has joined us. Ooh! An anteater for a pet? Really? Where?

gini
12-15-2006, 10:56 AM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=118142

HERE!

wolflady
12-15-2006, 11:18 AM
I, for the moment, am totally enthralled by the anteater who has joined us.
*snicker* Me too!

I remember a time when I was really active and in the top 20 posters, so people actually knew me back then. Lately, I've been away a lot, and nobody really knows me anymore. I think I'm away more than I am here because when I do post, hardly anyone responds to me. It's ok, but sometimes frustrating when you post pictures and get only a couple responses as opposed a completely random and off topic thread that gets hundreds of responses. *sigh*

I still lurk here a lot, even though I don't post much though. I still enjoy and smile at all of the cute pictures that are posted.

Randi
12-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Wolflady, we're still quite a few who remembers you! ;) :)

Husky15
12-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Wow this thread is old. I wasnt even a member when it was made. Ill say this, though: there has not been a forum, that I am a member of, that hasnt had its downfalls and times where it completely changes. People join and love the forum, but in time, most members have a period where they dont go on as much, but they all soon wander back.

One forum I am a member of used to be so busy, you could practically hear all the people, and threads would be answered just a minute after posting it, but now it has come to a time where a small amount of members are on at once. I could literally hear the silence. But it is slowly starting to come back.

Every forum has its good and bad times. People grow older and get busier, so they can't always be on, and some people just are no longer interested. That's the just the way I see it.