PDA

View Full Version : Giving a Kitten away is hard work...

Harmanie
12-22-2004, 10:05 AM
See, Harmanie had her kittens. We've given away some and now we are left with two adorible babies. But there is this girl in school who wants one of the kittens that we have left but I'm not so sure that I want to give him to her. See, she wants to give him to her mother and I'm not sure that I like the living conditions in that home. And she told me some stories of her step father that I'm not to keen about. But she is my friend and I don't want to hurt her feelings. What should I do?:confused:

Kate

MULTICATMOM
12-22-2004, 10:11 AM
I HEAR YOU...I COULDN'T DO IT. JUST TELL HER YOU'RE TO ATTACHED TO PART WITH THE KITTEN. SUGGEST THE PAPER OR ADOPTION ALTERNATIVES.
GOOD LUCK

Laura's Babies
12-22-2004, 11:46 AM
I agree! If you are uncomfortable with letting your friend have the kitten, listen to your gut feeling... Usually thoase feelings are right!

Jods
12-22-2004, 12:04 PM
If she's not a really close friend tell her you've already found the kitten a home. And plus if shes giving it to her mom you don't know for sure if her mother wants a cat then what would happen??

catnapper
12-22-2004, 12:31 PM
I'd follow my feelings, and tell her as nicely as possible that you are afraid that her step father wouldn't treat the kitten properly, and that it has nothing to do with her - but everything to do with him. If she's as honest with herself as you are honest with her, she will see that you are right.

moosmom
12-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Kate,

Go with your gut instincts. Do NOT give that kitten to her if you have any doubts whatsoever! Here's a number you can call. There are two rescue groups in Connecticut. (I'm originally FROM CT and have volunteered with both organizations and can vouch for them). One is Helping Paws, 860-267-0496. The other organization is Catales, 860-344-9043 or 860-346-5373.

Please keep us posted, okay. And if Catales doesn't call you back, keep calling them!! Same with Helping Paws. Catales is manned by volunteers and doesn't always check their messages every day. Helping Paws is actually run out of a couple's house.

One thing...if they ask you where you got the kitten, tell them it was a stray. Do NOT tell them it's an owner surrender. You'll never get a response. I know this is a little white lie, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get this precious little one a foster home, if not a furrrrrever home. Besides, people are looking for kittens right about now because kitten season is over and they are difficult to find.

One word of advice, please, get your cat spayed!! This way you won't have anymore unwanted furbabies!

cruisetime
12-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Don't do it. Just say you have decided to keep it. Whatever you have too. Kids wouldn't understand your hesitation I don't think, so I probably wouldn't go into details about not wanting to give it her. Just think how bad your friendship would suffer if you gave her the kitten and something happened to it - the friendship would turn to enemy real fast. Follow your gut and say you want to keep it or that someone else took her already. If she sees it later you can say they didn't want it and brought it back... Debbie

Harmanie
12-23-2004, 07:25 AM
Thank you all so much. I will go with my gut feeling and I know now that I just can't do it. I mean, I kinda am attached so I wouldn't be lying there. I would feel absolutly horrible if this baby was sent out into the street. I would just rather keep him myself you know what I mean. I will give that number a call. Thank you so much. I just hope I don't hurt her feelings. Harmanies spaying appointment is the 27. So I won't be in this predicament any more. Thank you all again. :)

catmandu
12-23-2004, 08:58 AM
If I wasnt completely sure,I woudnt give the Kitten,to people,who might not spay,or neuter,and then here are mre unwanted Kittens,to find homes for.

moosmom
12-23-2004, 09:05 AM
Harmanie,

What part of Connecticut are you from? I was born and raised in CT, living most of my life in Wethersfield, moving to Michigan a little over 2 years ago.

Donna

pitc9
12-23-2004, 10:00 AM
I would never give an animal to a person I had second thoughts about. Even if they were a friend if mine I wouldn't!

QueenScoopalot
12-23-2004, 03:46 PM
Go with your instinct as others have said. A cat /kitten is a 15-20+ year commitment, not a whim to be taken lightly. ;) Hope the others all will be spayed, and neutered as well. Glad mama cat is being spayed too! ;)

Harmanie
12-29-2004, 08:09 PM
ummm, well donna I am from Killingly. I wish I wasn't but its okay I guess. I was ariginally from maine. Louiston , maine was where I was born.

Harmanie got spayed yesterday. I'm at my aunts house so I couldn't even bring her there or even bring her back today... :(

hope shes okay.

Good news though. I gave the kitten to my other friend who I totally trust. Shes a good mommy, so it will all work out!:)