PDA

View Full Version : Need a hug

mina'smomma
12-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Please pardon me for venting, but this has really got me upset.

I'm a firm believer that a good deed doesn't go unrewarded. I'm one of those people you see on the side of the road helping my fellow drivers, even if it is something as small as letting them sit in my car to keep warm. Well last night I was on the expressway going to meet some friends so we could car pool down to our orientation. Well just lucky old me the rear passenger tire blew out on the way down. Well honey's friend never returned my jack and tire iron like he said he did, and I don't have a cell phone so I couldn't call for help so I spent two hours stranded on the expressway. I know that the passerbys knew I was in trouble why else would I have my four ways on and the hood of my car up? What was more irratating than no one stopping was that cars would slow down and gawk at me then speed up and take off. It wasn't until a state trooper came to my aide two hours later that I was even able to make it home. Then my friend's dad took me back out to my car and helped me change the tire. Needless to say I'm now sick from being out in the cold so long. (did I mention that I was in a dress!):mad:

Don't worry you nice people though. I will continue on being the curtesous and helpful driver I've always been. I just needed to vent and a hug.

Barbara
12-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Extra warm hug and Tigris headbumpie on its way:)

Jods
12-22-2004, 09:47 AM
{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Laura's Babies
12-22-2004, 09:52 AM
I think if some "John Doe" had stopped to help, I would be afraid to get out of my car. These days you are afraid they won't stop, and afraid they WILL! I would have sat there and waited for a law enforcement officer but I am from the area that has had 2 serial killers and now suspect there is a third one out there....

Tonya
12-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Awww, how sad! Especially during the holiday season. The other day, I saw a guy's car break down at a light. No one had a problem honking their heads off for him to get out of the way. It wound up being a woman that helped him push the car off the road. Call me old fashioned, but I would expect at least one gentleman to step up and help out. I coudln't help him, but it irked me that we were at such a busy intersection and only one person helped.

I've seen many acts of kindness too though. I'd like to think that there are still generous people in the world.

catnapper
12-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Grrr... I would have at least called the cops as hubby was speeding past you to let them know someone was stranded. We've actually done that many times while we were driving. There is unfortunately a fear of stopping to help someone - people are nuts today.

My son is home sick with a cold today too... so he'll comiserate with you. {{{HUGS}}} take some hot tea with honey to help you feel better.

moosmom
12-22-2004, 09:55 AM
HUGE (((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))

From Donna and her crew.

I used to be without a cellphone. That was until my Dad got sick and I was going on a vacation I had planned for months with my daughter. I needed to check on him twice a day (he was an alcoholic) and I was terribly worried about him being alone. That's when I got a cellphone. It was one of those heavy things (not like today's technology). I came to Michigan two years ago and was terrified of getting lost (I was new in the state and didn't really know my way around. I got a new cellphone and go nowhere without it. I call it my lifeline.

They do have pre-paid cellphones you can get real cheap. Have it on you at all times in case something happens. It's worth it!

ramanth
12-22-2004, 09:56 AM
*HUGS*

Tonya
12-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
I think if some "John Doe" had stopped to help, I would be afraid to get out of my car. These days you are afraid they won't stop, and afraid they WILL! I would have sat there and waited for a law enforcement officer but I am from the area that has had 2 serial killers and now suspect there is a third one out there....

Yes, I have to say that I would never stop for someone on a Freeway. Not even a woman, she could have a man with a gun hiding. But I would at least call for help so that an officer can go help her. I am sure that most of those people driving by had cell phones.

moosmom
12-22-2004, 10:00 AM
I would never stop for someone on a Freeway. Not even a woman, she could have a man with a gun hiding.

Isn't that sad that it has had to come to this. People not trusting, suspicious (with very good reason) of others. What has happened to this world we live in??

Years ago I was on the highway in CT and a girl was standing holding a platter. I asked her if she needed a ride. She said if I could JUST get her to Hartford, she'd get to where she needed to be. Well, I gave her a ride to the front door of where she was going. Would I do that today? Probably not. But I would call for help on my cellphone. It's the LEAST I could do for people in distress.

sirrahbed
12-22-2004, 11:02 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/smilies/grouphug2.gif
Is that better? Sorry to hear about your experience. I think the holiday season actually makes people ruder and more hurried - I have noticed that anyway.
Here is another hug for you..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/smilies/grouphug.gif

BCBlondie
12-22-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
Isn't that sad that it has had to come to this. People not trusting, suspicious (with very good reason) of others. What has happened to this world we live in??.
Serial killers... ;)

I'm actually a big fan of those homicide shows on TV, like cold case files and such... There are quite a few stories with people that get stranded on the side of the road and a killer stops to "help".. or the other way around. You just never know who you can trust and who you can't these days.. It's sad but true.. :(

mina'smomma - The same thing happened to my family about a year ago. Luckily, we had our cellphones, but we still ended up having to wait an hour or so for the tow truck to get to us. A highway patrol did stop to make sure we were okay though...

Tonya
12-22-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by BCBlondie
Serial killers... ;)

I'm actually a big fan of those homicide shows on TV, like cold case files and such... There are quite a few stories with people that get stranded on the side of the road and a killer stops to "help".. or the other way around. You just never know who you can trust and who you can't these days.. It's sad but true.. :(

mina'smomma - The same thing happened to my family about a year ago. Luckily, we had our cellphones, but we still ended up having to wait an hour or so for the tow truck to get to us. A highway patrol did stop to make sure we were okay though...

Since I have been on bedrest, I have gotten hooked on Court TV. I watch Forensic Files all the time. It's gotten me all paranoid and I have wierd dreams. lol.

cookieluver7
12-22-2004, 12:57 PM
It annoys me how some extremely nice and helpful people are always doing things for others, and when it's their turn to have others help them, nobody helps and the person just sits helplessly. Warm hugs and I hope you get well before Christmas. {{{{HUGS}}}}

carole
12-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Unfortunately it is a sad world indeed we live in today, as pointed out people are scared to stop these days, I am so sorry you had to spend all this time in the cold with no help, BIG GIANT WARM HUGS from the warmer side of the world, to you , and never go anywhere without your cell phone sweetie, hope you are not feeling to unwell and recover soon, keep warm, drink lots of fluids and get some bedrest, and some TLC.

CountryWolf07
12-22-2004, 04:40 PM
I heard that the South is a lot more.. "loose" on stopping on the freeway to help others.. but with the North... none of that.