PDA

View Full Version : Guinea Piggie Needs a Bath!

tatsxxx11
06-04-2001, 04:48 PM
Anyone out there know if or how to give a guinea piggie a tubbie? I have had Mr. Squeekers for a few months now, and he is beginning to get a bit "oily" in the fur! I brush and comb him daily, probably increasing the oil in his fur. I have heard that piggies do ofter get baths....But how; with WHAT??? I'm afraid to use anything toxic or too strong. How do most react to getting wet???! Thanks! Sandra and Squeekers

horse_1987
06-04-2001, 08:30 PM
I bath my guinea pigs all the time. Sometimes pet stores carry guinea pig shampoo but it is hard to find (I speak from experience) The vet said that tearless baby shampoo is fine. I usually bath my piggies in the bathroom sink, I fill it about a quarter with water and I simpley lower the piggie into the water. Some don't like it, try to make sure that if he decides to jump, or climb out that u have control of where he is going (control pig with one hand, shampoo and rinse with other) You can blow dry them with the dryer set on low , but I don't like to do it that way. I usually towel dry mine.
Good Luck! try not to get any water in his eyes, they don't like that very much http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

I Love My Aussie
06-05-2001, 11:17 AM
I give my guinea pigs baths all the time. I even did a school project on how to bate a guinea pig. I use cat shampoo and give them a bath in the sink. Just make sure you don't get any water or shampoo passed their neck or ears. Just make sure you get under their legs and their stomach, that's where most of their germs are. I have found that males take it a little easier than the females. Good luck!

------------------
*Whoever said you couldn't buy love forgot about dogs.*

tatsxxx11
06-10-2001, 07:15 AM
Thanks everybody! I was so sure no one would answer this post that I forgot to check back! Silly me! Anyway, I just posted a description of Mr. Squeekers first bath under the topic "Guinea Pig pics." I did it just as you guys suggested! And he absolutely LOVED it! Now, one other question...Anyone ever take their piggie outdoors? I have a little harness. But I am so afraid he will pick up germs or disease! He does not much like running around indoors when I take him out of his cage. I am concerned he is bored! And that he is not getting enough exercise. Any thoughts?? Thanks! Sandra

[This message has been edited by tatsxxx11 (edited June 10, 2001).]

BandiTank
06-10-2001, 11:16 AM
Hi there BandiTank here (formerly known as I Love My Aussie). I take my Guinea pigs outside quite often. Just make sure the grass (since they WILL eat it if given the chance) is not chemically treated. I don't even use a harness on mine because they don't move much, I just keep petting them, so they are assured and will be less likely to run off. My male loves kids and all the neighborhood kids come to pet him whe I o outside, but they can get a little scared sometimes. My guinea pigs always look SO bored so I take them outside often. Your harness is a good idea, especially since you don't know what they will do. I started out with mine ona man-made harness. Good luck!

-Rachel N Critters

tatsxxx11
06-11-2001, 12:30 PM
I'm going to give it a try. I make sure the lawn guys NEVER put any chemical on the fenced in back yard where all the "kids" go so he should be safe. He's not much of a scamperer so keeping him in bounds should be easy!

Freckles
06-11-2001, 02:37 PM
BandiTank, please consider udating your entry in the Name/Pets list. You have many changes! Thanks