View Full Version : New Kitties - advice needed

NKBurlington
12-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Hi all,

D and I are "adopting" two more cats. We are taking my BIL's two cats off his hands as his new fiance is allergic.

We have two cats already and have had them for nearly a year - Since February 2004.

We already know that we are going to keep the new kitties in a private room in the basement. It's quite lare. I work out down there. There's a bar, a fridge, a TV, a couch, a recliner, etc. . . it's a fair size.

My question is, upon arrival do we leave them alone to get used to their surroundings or do we spend some time with them? How long do we leave them or how long do we spend time with them?

Also, what is the best way to introduce them to our resident boys? I think we are going to have supervised visits at frist after they have sniffed each other through the closed door. I am hoping to keep them down there for about two weeks while we introduce everyone and see how they will get along.

Any advice from multi cat homes would be appreciated.

BTW, if you'd like to see the new ones, you can click on either Ritchi or Sammi's catster page below and there is a link to the new kitties.

Thanks in advance.

moosmom
12-21-2004, 06:22 PM
Since all cats are adults, I'd leave the new ones be for at least 24 hours for them to get acclamated. Leave a radio or tv on for them. Rub them down with an old rag and let YOUR cats smell their scent. Do the same thing with your cats. This way they will all know that there are new kids on the block. I assume they are all neutered. If not, I strongly suggest it. Unneutered males can be very aggressive.

Go in and spend time with both of them. Lay on the floor and give them treats, gently talking to them. They will probably hide, that's normal. But they'll get used to you and their surroundings the more time you spend with them.

Give them a couple of weeks. Then, if you have baby gates, or know someone who does, borrow them and stack 2 of them one on top of the other in the doorway. This way they can see and smell each other and get acquainted safely. Once you feel comfortable in that they can be let out WITH supervision, take the gates down and see what happens. Also, have a squirt bottle handy, should anything erupt. There will be hissing and spitting, that's normal. Don't squirt them unless a serious fight erupts, then separate them again. Your cats will show them THEIR order in the crew.

Patience is the key to gradual introduction of 2 new adult cats into a home with other resident cats. It'll probably take a while, but then again, they may surprize you and be the best of buds. Cats are strange creatures of habit. They don't like change.

You'll also need one cat box for EACH cat, as well as food and water dishes.

I wish you luck. That's great you've offered them furrever homes. Hopefully, other members on PT can offer you advice that I left out.

Welcome to Pet Talk!!!

Laura's Babies
12-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Gee whiz moonsmom, I think you covered it all in one response.

catmandu
12-22-2004, 08:57 AM
I keep,all New Arrivals,in the Bathroom,and let the Other Cats,see them,one at a time,tough when theyu camp,in front,of the Door.

rkidsrcats
12-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Moosmom covered it! Can't emphasize the litterbox thing enough. Everyone with their own box avoids ambushing and territorial spats around the kitty bathrooms.
The rest of her advice should set you up for a successful merge of the new guys into the household. And yes, your cats will let you know how the pecking order is going to go.
We have five boys and still have to revisit who's top cat every once in a while, but nothing serious. They just work it out and get over it.
Good luck and thanks for taking in adults who otherwise would be in a shelter somwhere.

PS Try Feliway spray if things get too tense. Has a calming effect so they say. We used it when we rescued Norbert (the blk/white) and he and William were not hitting it off. It helped a lot.

thawks120
12-22-2004, 09:26 AM
I've taken about 30 animals home from a shelter to "socialize". My Rule of thumb is LEAVE THEM ALONE.. First I'll bring the new guys into the house in the carriers, set them on the floor and allow everyone to get a good sniff of each other, while I ignore the entire group. While this is going on make sure that the food & water dishes are filled, and add an extra dish for the newbies. After they are well aware of eachother, and the first major hissing is finished, usually 20-30 minutes, open the carrier doors and again LEAVE THEM ALONE. Let the new guys look around, the residents sniff around them. Talking to everyone is ok, but otherwise see rule number 1, LEAVE THEM ALONE.. not only can you get bit by a scared newcomer, even your own babies can forget who you are if you grab one unexpectedly from behind, so LEAVE THEM ALONE... after everyone has explored the new surroundings and the new arrivals, and have settled down and are approachable, show the new guys the food dishes and littler boxes. once is usually enough, cats are very smart, then LEAVE THEM ALONE. This process which really doesn't require human involvment can take a few hours or up to a day or two at most... But I've found it to be a very reliable and stress free way to introduce new babies into the home, and trust me, I've introduced plenty foster kids. Cats being the sensitive animals that they are will pick up your emotional state during this, so TRY TRY TRY to remain calm, act as though everything is OK, and above all, LEAVE THEM ALONE.. they will decide when you can join in the fun, or the fighting... If you have any questions, I have instant messengers and my screen names are in my profile.... Good Luck... :)

NKBurlington
12-22-2004, 10:36 AM
BIL is bringing the litter pan, food/water bowls/toys, etc. I thought having all of those things in the room would help them out because they are familiar.

Should I STILL get one box for each cat even though they will have their old box there? Also, should I keep the litter boxes and food/water bowls permanently away from each other?

Thanks for all your great advice.

BTW, we do have Feliway and I will be spraying it in the basement before our new arrivals arrive.