PDA

View Full Version : Sneezy boy :( Going to the White Coats!

christa
12-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Brodie's cold isn't getting any better . . . if anything, it's getting worse. Poor thing . . . I can hear him breathing from across the room & he's sneezing all over the place!

He's going to the vet at 4:00 today.

I want to nip this before the holidays.

Do you think I should ask the vet for some medicine for Josie too? She's fine so far and I'm not taking her to the vet, but I figure she'll catch it from him eventually!

catlover4ever
12-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Whenever I have a sneezy kitty I always ask for extra medicine because it always seems to go through the house. Depending on your vet he/she may or may not give you more medicine. It really depends on your vets practices.

I hope poor sneezy boy Brodie feels better soon. I'm going through the same thing in my house right now.....sneezes, coughing and beleive it or not sore throats (it is really quiet because they really can not meow right now).

jazzcat
12-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Poor Brodie. Hopefully they will give you some antibiotics and knock this out quickly. Definitely ask them about Josie. More than likely she will get this.

christa
12-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Coughing? That's wierd, I've never heard a cat cough!

catlover4ever
12-21-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by christa
Coughing? That's wierd, I've never heard a cat cough!

Yeah....sounds something like them trying to get a hairball up. :rolleyes:

christa
12-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Poor babies! That sound horrible!

No coughing here . . . just sneezing & snorting around :rolleyes:

sirrahbed
12-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Hope the white coat visit goes well Christa. Mine have only had colds once (this was before we got the kittens) and everyone ended up getting sick. We were in Japan at the time and Chris took Dylan (I think) in - I am pretty sure he gave her medicine for everyone. I would sure ask. It's getting close to time for you to go- let us know what you find out!!!
I am not sure I would know a sneeze from a wheeze from a cough!!:rolleyes:

christa
12-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Brodie has a URI.

The vet recommended that he just stay on his vitamins. She said that she could give him antibiotics, but like human viral "colds", antibiotics would do nothing.

She also gave me a new bottle of vitamins to start giving Josie.

Said to bring him back in if he gets worse (green snot or not eating) and since I bought the kitten plan, a trip to the ER would not cost us this time if we had to take him over the Christmas weekend. (that's a relief)

She did say that it's unusual for him to be sick like this after his 2nd set of shots.

I hope the Vitamins work . . .

This isn't a good time to be stressed over sick cats . . . the holidays are stressful enough!

sirrahbed
12-21-2004, 04:13 PM
Hope the vitamins help - myabe get his immune system up since he is still pretty young. Sure can't hurt!!

That is great about having the ER coverage - sure you won't need it - but it is a real security to know that you have it!:D

Laura's Babies
12-21-2004, 04:35 PM
Glad things went good for that little cutie Brodie at the white coats..

HAY BRODIE!! Get better soon lil fella!! Christmas is coming and you have to be up to parr to play with all your new toys!!!

QueenScoopalot
12-21-2004, 05:22 PM
Poor baby Brodie. Tis the season for sneezin' :rolleyes: I hear L-Lysine works wonders for strenthening immune systems, and can be bought at health food stores. Some people I know who do a lot of rescuing swear by the stuff! ;)

christa
12-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
I hear L-Lysine works wonders for strenthening immune systems, and can be bought at health food stores. Some people I know who do a lot of rescuing swear by the stuff! ;)

Like GNC maybe?

QueenScoopalot
12-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by christa
Like GNC maybe?

I'm sure they carry it. Get the capsules, and sprikle it on the kittie's food. You can't overdose them on the stuff, as it's harmless, but helpful from what I hear. Shelters that have used it for a long time, haven't had any URI outbreaks in well over a year. ;) I bought tablets by mistake several weeks ago, and it's a pain smashing them up with a hammer. So I'm going to get capsules ASAP.

christa
12-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by QueenScoopalot
I'm sure they carry it. Get the capsules, and sprikle it on the kittie's food. You can't overdose them on the stuff, as it's harmless, but helpful from what I hear. Shelters that have used it for a long time, haven't had any URI outbreaks in well over a year. ;) I bought tablets by mistake several weeks ago, and it's a pain smashing them up with a hammer. So I'm going to get capsules ASAP.

THANK YOU so much for the advice!!!

I'll look for that tomorrow!

rg_girlca
12-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Poor little baby Brodie. I hope you feel better soon sweetie.

catfamily
12-22-2004, 06:02 AM
I hope Brodie feels better soon.It can turn into such terrible coughs sometimes.My Monty had such a loud hoarse cough when I got him at the shelter.Clavamox cleared him up.But it took a few weeks because it was so bad.Brodie's in good hands,and I'm sure he'll be fine after he gets some antibiotics in him.:D

catmandu
12-22-2004, 08:38 AM
W do hope,taht Brodie,will be well soon,and Pouncer and Scrappy Angels,will accompany him,to the Vets,so he wont be scared.