PDA

View Full Version : Oh Look! A Dalmation!!

Miranda_Rae
12-21-2004, 11:48 AM
I get that ALL the time with Heidi. I will be walking Heidi somewhere, and people will go, "Oh look! A Dalmation!" Or they will go, "Is that a Dalmation?" :rolleyes: I even had some people ask me if she was a Chocolate Lab! :eek: And this one lady, after I told her that Heidi was a GSP, she goes, "Is that something like a German Shepherd?" when Heidi was right in front of her! :rolleyes: I just smile and say, "Nope its a German Shorthaired Pointer." When someone said that she was a Chocolate Lab, my friend said to me later, "Yeah a Chocolate Lab with measles!" lol... So do people guess the wrong breed (or breeds) with your dogs? I don't think Heidi looks like a Dalmation or a Chocolate Lab, do you? ;)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid148/p550c248603e030707f37f1163cfeeee8/f61531e7.jpg

lute
12-21-2004, 11:57 AM
lol everyone knows what Beanie is. he's a pom. i had a border collie thateveryone thought was a sheltie or collie.:rolleyes: i was like "c'mon, she's black and white!"

Heidi is beautiful and i bet the bewilderd(sp) looks on people's faces when you tell them what breed she is is great!:p

cali
12-21-2004, 01:03 PM
lol inly with Misty, everyone thinks she is some sort of sheperd mix, umm actually she is a pur bred border collie. also some newer BC owners look at misty and say "what kind of dog is she" umm border collie "REALLY?" lol but most people just comment about how pretty she is lol I hear a lot of comments like "that dog is gorgous!" lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/HappyFM/6ce960ea.jpg

tomkatzid
12-21-2004, 01:10 PM
They always think Ashlee is part grayhound, and she is
Sheltie x Shepherd.
When Nina was a pup of 6 months everyone thought she was a St Bernard pup. I freaked out every time. She is Sheltie x Aussie.
And they think Lucee is a miniture Rotti without her tail cropped. She does look like that but there isn't such. She is Dobbie x blue heeler.
Katz

sammy101
12-21-2004, 01:16 PM
so many people are like" is that a german Shepherd!?" im like no he's not!lol i dont know how people think kodie was a GSD mix,lol.i get alot of questions like.//" is that a Rodiesian Ridgeback"? he doesnt even look like one.
he's a Lab/bloodhound/Rottweiler mix!then they go oo ok
i mostly hear" that dog is beautiful!":D or most people stay away from him:p :rolleyes:

vinjashira
12-21-2004, 02:17 PM
some people are more familiar with the short legged jack russel so they are not sure what breed snowy is :p

Christiansmommy
12-21-2004, 03:40 PM
The first week we had Dale home, and he was only 10 lbs ( didn't last long ;)), someone thought he was a beagle...then we told him to take a look at the paws :) A little boy in a park once, thought he was a Pitbull...i guess b/c of his boxy head...

Most people don't know what he is...I guess b/c he is tri-colored, people also assume that he is a mixed breed...

lv4dogs
12-21-2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by lute
lol everyone knows what Beanie is. he's a pom. i had a border collie thateveryone thought was a sheltie or collie.:rolleyes: i was like "c'mon, she's black and white!"

Heidi is beautiful and i bet the bewilderd(sp) looks on people's faces when you tell them what breed she is is great!:p

Actually I have seen BC's & shelties that are black & white, although yes most w/ those colors are tri's but it's posible to have just black & whites.

Corinna
12-21-2004, 03:50 PM
I love the lab with measles response!( Your freind has a wondrful sense of humor!:)
I get this all the time with Merlin "Isn't your Cocker a little on the large side?" less here in Montana (Hunters know the sport and hound breeds here) in Washington it drove me nuts.

cocker_luva
12-21-2004, 06:36 PM
people ask if Jesse is a poodle.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
12-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Everyone thinks FizzGigg is a poodle

LKPike
12-22-2004, 07:35 AM
"Three A's in Dalmatian
Never an "O"
Spell the breed's name incorrectly......
To the dog house you go!"

:p :p :p

chrissycat21
12-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Everyone thinks Snowy is a poodle. It really doesn't bother me when they think that, because she does look like a poodle. :) I just tell them she is a bichon maltese cross.

ParNone
12-22-2004, 10:19 AM
With Oz, I mostly get "Oh, a shaved Collie". With Gully, "Australian Shepherd mix, right?" and with Murph it's almost always "Aw, what a cute Westie".

I personally don't mind it at all. I view it as an ice breaker to chat about the thing I love most, Collies and Cairns. :)

Par...

BCBlondie
12-22-2004, 10:50 AM
I get "LASSIIIEEE!!!!" when walking Miksy, my Sheltie... :rolleyes: I've also been asked if he's a "mini-Collie"..

People ask me, "Is your dog an Australian Shepherd?" when they're looking at Sesh, my black/white Border Collie with a long, fluffy tail... :rolleyes:

Oh and this is the best one: I've been asked if Megan and Monica are Miksy's puppies!!! :eek: I tell them, "Yes, my male Sheltie gave birth to two Pomeranians... :rolleyes: " LOL

LOL!! I love the "chocolate lab with measles" response. :D

Pit Chick
12-22-2004, 11:42 AM
I don't have any pics of my pup to post, but picture a red/red nose Pit Bull with BIG erect ears. I've been asked a couple of times if she is a chocolate Lab, but for the most part people don't know until I tell them what she is. Here's the most common responses I get:

"Oh she's such a sweet, beautiful dog. What is she?" (Pit Bull)
"Oh my God (as they quickly back away after playing with her) those dogs are mean"

or

"That's not what they look like." (Obviously they don't know or they wouldn't have to ask)

or

"That's what I thought, they get such a bad rap."

or they are surprised that she is so sweet and friendly.

SURPRISE!! :rolleyes:

*LabLoverKEB*
12-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Heidi is sooooo pretty! I want her!

Some people thingk Sadie is a Lab mix, because she is so small, for a purebred Labrador. I don't really have a pic that shows how small she is though. Sorry!;)

DogLover9501
12-22-2004, 06:14 PM
LOL These are really funny!

One of the strangest ones I can remember was at a Walk-A-Thon someone asked me if Jasper was a great dane LOL :eek: He's not even HALF that size...and the TAIL?

prechrswife
12-23-2004, 05:02 AM
With our bassets, the most common question is, "Are those beagles?" A lot of basset owners have said that people mistake their dogs for dachshunds.

Miranda_Rae
12-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by LKPike
"Three A's in Dalmatian
Never an "O"
Spell the breed's name incorrectly......
To the dog house you go!"

:p :p :p

SO sorry! I wasn't sure exactly how to spell it, and so I went with what I *thought* was the correct spelling, but I guess I was wrong. :o :rolleyes:

lol...some of these are so funny. They had me laughing out loud. :p

Sorry...*LabLoverKEB* you can't have her. ;) She's MINE! :p lol

LKPike
12-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Miranda_Rae
SO sorry! I wasn't sure exactly how to spell it, and so I went with what I *thought* was the correct spelling, but I guess I was wrong. :o :rolleyes:

everybodys usually wrong until they own one and join a dal board :p I guess we dal owners are more sensitive than other breeds owners since we're constantly asked the most stupidest questions anytime we're in public with our babies and our breed has a lot of urban legends going around it than most others. I guess we expect, since our breed gets alot of bad publicity, people should atleast know how to spell it right! :(

flamepony12
12-23-2004, 01:42 PM
I've had people call Mackenzie a lab, and MY personal favorite is, like BCblondie's, "Is your little dog your big dog's puppy?" (Reffering to Zeus and Mackenzie) yeah, A golden retriever and a pug, Cant you see the resemblence, Idiot??!? :rolleyes:

*LabLoverKEB*
12-23-2004, 09:09 PM
LOL, I know, she just soooo pretty!:D :)

Jods
12-23-2004, 10:12 PM
people call Gomer a yellow lab :rolleyes: and Mercedes a pony LOL

GoldenRetrLuver
12-23-2004, 10:16 PM
I know I've mentioned this before, but Daisy was almost always mistaken for a Labrador when she was younger because of her light coloring and short coat. Sometimes we're also asked if she's a Golden mix, because she's small for her breed.

And of course Molly is called "Lassie" quite a bit, and I doubt that will ever change. :p