PDA

View Full Version : Just a horrible story!!! Makes me soooo angry!!!

cfuh
12-21-2004, 09:42 AM
http://www.nbc4.com/news/4013151/detail.html

Woman Charged With Cruelty To Dogs
Neighbor Reports Problems In Home

POSTED: 8:19 am EST December 21, 2004
UPDATED: 8:26 am EST December 21, 2004

MANASSAS, Va. -- A Manassas woman is accused of animal cruelty after police found two malnourished pit bulls in her back yard.

One of them was so famished that it was eating the dead body of a third pit bull, investigators said.

Manassas police Sgt. Tim Neumann said Karen Morris, 37, was arrested at her home Saturday and was cited with several charges, including three counts of animal cruelty.

Neuman said Ira Anderson, a relative of Morris who also lives at the home, also faces several charges.

A judge will decide Tuesday if Morris and Anderson may keep the dogs. A criminal hearing for Morris has been set for Jan. 6 in Prince William County General District Court. She's free on bond.

The Washington Post reports that the dogs were found after a neighbor told authorities that they lived in "deplorable conditions."

According to court records, Morris has been charged several times with animal-related crimes in the past 10 years.

BCBlondie
12-21-2004, 10:49 AM
That's so sad.. :(
Kind of sounds like what they show on Animal Precinct on the Animal Planet...

CalliesMom
12-21-2004, 11:08 AM
That's disgusting! I sometimes wonder why people like this even exists--it takes a lack of humanity to treat another being this way. That lady should be starved to see what a horrible way that is to die. ARGH!!!

Jadapit
12-21-2004, 02:45 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: What is wrong with people??? Oh that just makes my blood boil. So sad.:(

DJFyrewolf36
12-22-2004, 03:59 AM
People like that need to be slapped...a lot

Poor puppies, my heart goes out to them.

Laura's Babies
12-22-2004, 11:28 AM
According to court records, Morris has been charged several times with animal-related crimes in the past 10 years.

Sounds to me like there is jail time called for this time.. She should NEVER be allowed to have pets again!!!

sammy101
12-22-2004, 11:37 AM
aww thats so sad:( :mad: why people do it these days when they most likely will get arrested for doing something like that...makes me so angry..

do you know if theyre going to be put up for adoption?

cfuh
12-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by sammy101
aww thats so sad:( :mad: why people do it these days when they most likely will get arrested for doing something like that...makes me so angry..

do you know if theyre going to be put up for adoption?

i dunno who has the doggies now...i'll try and find out...

i found another article that provides a bit more info and a pic:

Manassas Woman Charged With Animal Cruelty

By Ian Shapira
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, December 21, 2004; Page B02

A 37-year-old Manassas woman with a history of improperly caring for her dogs has been arrested after police found two malnourished pit bulls in her filthy back yard, one of them so famished that it was eating the dead body of a third pit bull.

Karen Morris, of the 9200 block of Taney Road, was arrested at her home Saturday and charged with several offenses, including three counts of animal cruelty, a misdemeanor that carries a maximum penalty of a $2,500 fine and 12 months in jail, said Sgt. Tim Neumann, a Manassas City police spokesman.

A relative of Morris's, Ira Anderson, who also lives at the Taney Road address, was charged with several offenses, including one count of animal cruelty and one count of animals causing unsanitary conditions, Neumann said.

Morris posted a $2,000 bond when she was arrested Saturday night. A criminal hearing in Prince William County General District Court has been set for Jan. 6. Anderson, 19, remains at large.

The investigation at the Taney Road townhouse began Dec. 9 when police received a call from a neighbor with a view of Morris's back yard from an upstairs window. The neighbor reported that the dogs were thin and living in "deplorable conditions," according to court documents.

Joan G. Strawderman, chief animal control officer for Manassas, said she met the neighbor at his home, looked out the window and saw a black and white female pit bull standing over a dead tan male pit bull.

"We removed the screen from the window and I stuck my head out and you could hear her chewing," said Strawderman, who said she felt disgusted and angry at the sight. "It's always a shock to run across a case like this even when you've been around for a long time."

Strawderman then went next door and found Morris's father, Robert Morris, who said that his daughter was in North Carolina and that he had not been caring for the dogs because he was afraid of them, according to court records.

As Strawderman was seizing the dogs, the father called his daughter, who spoke with Strawderman and told her that Anderson was taking care of the dogs in her absence, according to court documents. Morris told the officer that she owned Big Daddy, the surviving tan pit bull, and that her youngest son, a juvenile, owned Bean, the dog that had died. Morris said Anderson owned the female, Meeha.

Morris and Anderson could not be reached to comment.

Strawderman said agricultural lime had been applied at the yard's edges to mask the odor of feces.

The dogs were taken to a Woodbridge animal hospital, where they were found to be underweight by several pounds, she said.

According to court records, Morris has been charged several times in the past 10 years with animal-related crimes, including repeated instances of allowing her dogs to run at large, of which she was found guilty. She was also charged with failing to vaccinate them against rabies and failing to provide them with adequate care, both of which she was cleared of.

A civil hearing is scheduled for this morning to determine whether Morris and Anderson may keep the dogs. Even if a judge rules in their favor, the dogs will remain at an animal shelter until the criminal cases are over, said Martin R. Crim, deputy city attorney for Manassas.

cfuh
12-22-2004, 12:12 PM
pic

Pit Chick
12-22-2004, 12:56 PM
The fact that they are even considering letting them have the dogs back is sickening. She already has a 10 year rap sheet when it comes to animals, she shouldn't even be allowed to own a goldfish. These dogs didn't get like this overnight either. Throw these scum bags under the jail!! :mad:

QueenScoopalot
12-22-2004, 06:04 PM
I think there needs to be a remote island devoid of all animals where we can stick these wastes of lifes resources! It should be a felony at the least....not a misdemeanor! Tiny wrist slap, dogs go back, end of story right? GRRR!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

countrygirl09
12-25-2004, 02:51 PM
that makes me really angry if she would of hurt any people than she would be sent to jail why not with animals?????

thenamelessone
12-25-2004, 08:02 PM
With the way that people are so cruel I wonder if the human race is worth saving…
Just shameful.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Pit Chick
12-27-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by thenamelessone
With the way that people are so cruel I wonder if the human race is worth saving…
Just shameful.
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

That's why I save animals!:)