PDA

View Full Version : I'm short a couple of gifts this year but I'm so happy!

catcrazylady
12-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Things have been really tight for hubby and I. He hasn't been working full weeks for a while and we have had to batten down. Of course it all happens at Christmas time! Anyway, I've been stashing back extra grocery money and things like that so we could afford some gifts. Everyone has been warned that this year will be tight and the gifts will be few and small. I've actually kind of enjoyed it since it is less pressure. I'll be doing muffin baskets and all the children will get small gifts. I have reminded everyone that part of their gift is the big Christmas dinner that I cook for them. It's a lot of work as well as expense but I love doing that for my stepkids and their families. This year we will remember the true meaning of Christmas.
On to the point of this thread. As most of you know I have about 7 to 9 ferals living outside that I feed. The temperatures have dropped to below freezing and I can't stand seeing them out there. I told hubby that I didn't care who didn't get a gift this year but something had to be done. I was not going to let this happen without at least trying to offer them something. So off to WalMart we go to see what we can come up with.
I got these storage containers, hubby cut out the doors, and I found every extra pillow and blanket we had to put inside. I sprinkled some catnip inside and now I'm praying that they will use them. It is bitter cold out right now and they are predicting 4 to 8 inches of snow by Wednesday. I'm going to try to find some straw before then so they don't get the blankets all wet when the snow comes. I don't know who won't get a present this year but for me this was the best thing I could have gotten for Christmas!

We put out a total of five and I would like to get a couple more. I put 3 along side the house, under the eave, and 2 under the deck where some hang out. It looks like we have little row houses! I think they came out kind of cute.

Tested by Leroy
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid150/p7a83f760fc06dc669afb1bc5ab9f52e7/f5d6cf30.jpg

We didn't stack them outside because I was afraid they would knock them over.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid150/pcb332b15b03dc7a6fe4ec2e558dea681/f5d6cf39.jpg

If I could make them stay this way I guess I could have my own little complex!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid150/pe6f0fce9a7f6f6a1aec0972ef2e8a085/f5d6cf54.jpg

And this one passed Sammy's inspection
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid150/p46d189c191e995077f5b68c08234a802/f5d6cf68.jpg

The one with black duct tape on it is because we had a slight slip of the razor knife and made a sharp edge.

I think they came out pretty good. I can sleep better knowing they have some warmth and shelter.:) Merry Christmas to my ferals!:D

Uniqueviking
12-20-2004, 10:05 PM
What a GREAT idea, and they look really nice and comfy too. I'm sure the kitties will love them :)

catnapper
12-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Those are great condos! You should be proud of yourself... and I don't think anyone would object to not getting a gift to see how happy you have made a group of feral kitties.

Grace
12-20-2004, 10:10 PM
CCL - you are a treasure.

JanB
12-20-2004, 10:16 PM
That is so totally cool to think of doing that for those cats. I couldn't picture it - but your photos helped me there! What a really, really neat idea! I wish I'd thought of that when I lived rurally and had strays (actually I think most were drop offs) wander up to my house.
I think you deserve several gold stars!
Jan B

Laura's Babies
12-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Yea, you are a treasure! That is what you are for sure! I worry about the homeless and where they will get out of the weather.. My daughter in law in Virginia did something close and added a light bulb to it, for warmth, but she had them turned the other way (Top side up) outside her house for the cats that hung out in their area. She said they took the lid off of one one morning and there was a possium curled up in there WITH the cats!! The one you made really looks GREAT and you and you hubby should be PROUD! ***WAY TO GO!!!****

Palomino21
12-20-2004, 10:26 PM
That is a really good idea. I am going to have to tell my mom and uncle that idea. My mom is way into feeding and caring the for ferals outside. You are such a nice person. Thank you for reminding us about what Christmas really is.

Logan
12-20-2004, 10:34 PM
What a precious gifts to those kitties!!! :)

Craftlady
12-20-2004, 10:41 PM
Those are great :)
Love the kids checking out the condos :)

lizzielou742
12-20-2004, 10:47 PM
That is a wonderful idea!!! :)

It is very cold here, and I know those kitties will appreciate a place out of the wind and snow!

kimlovescats
12-20-2004, 10:48 PM
That is what Christmas is all about, Lisa! (((HUGS)))

slick
12-20-2004, 10:59 PM
Oh Lisa......this has brought tears to my eyes. You will get your reward. Bless you for looking after these furry ferals. I wonder if they know how lucky they are.
hugs
slick
xo

jazzcat
12-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Grace
CCL - you are a treasure.
Amen!
I wish you were close so I could hug you so consider yourself hugged!
:D :D

Tonya
12-20-2004, 11:55 PM
What a brilliant idea! That beats the $70 igloo that I bought Sarah. I wish that I'd thought of that!

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-21-2004, 01:41 AM
What a brilliant idea, Lisa!! Those ferals will be so comfortable and warm in their very own cat-condo's!! That is SSSSOOOOOO sweet of you!!! {{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

PayItForward
12-21-2004, 02:57 AM
They are wonderful houses the ferals would be pleased to have them. What a thoughtful christmas gift. :D

PS. Are the houses in a very sheltered corner ?
I ask as if there is any chance of the bedding getting damp the cats are unlikely to use it.
For this reason in damp places like (rains nearly every day) England bedding is no good, I use straw fluffed up in my outside cat house as recommended by Ally Cats website. Just a thought.

catfamily
12-21-2004, 05:55 AM
What an Angel you are.Thank goodness for kind people in the world like you.It's so sad seeing them freeze out there.And they don't trust us enough to come close.:(
I hope all this expense and effort works.I'm sure it will look great to them sooner than later.;)

Barbara
12-21-2004, 06:21 AM
What wonderful little condos! I am sure the ferals will be happy to use them.

:)

You deserve the best Christmas ever:D

NKBurlington
12-21-2004, 06:28 AM
What a great idea! They look very cozy for your kitties.

catlover4ever
12-21-2004, 07:17 AM
Lisa, I did the same thing for Tucker when she first started to hang around many years ago. She was too feral to come in so I went down to Walmart and got a large Rubbermaid container and gave Tucker an old down comforter to keep her warm inside.

Now I have 2 have plastic dog houses from Walmart lined with old down comforters and flannel sheets for whoever may need to use one.

To this day Tucker still loves to use her house!!! If she wants some fresh air but it is too cold she goes in her house and keeps her body warm and still gets her fresh air....I guess she has the best of both worlds.

sirrahbed
12-21-2004, 07:33 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/smilies/hug2.giffor you Lisa!!!
What a wonderful idea and I am not surprised that you came up with it!
You know, those highrises might work. Dennis suggested that you use bolts and large washers between the upper and lower floors and then raise the lowest level up on a platform - either smaller rubbermaid upside-down and bolted or wooden crates to keep them above ground.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/smilies/hug2.gif

moosmom
12-21-2004, 08:04 AM
Lisa,

Great job! That's what we used back in CT for the feral colonies. They totally block the cold wind. We used newspaper (great insulator) and straw. I'm glad that your ferals will be safe and warm this cold Christmas!

I don't know whether to put one out in our yard this year. I haven't seen any stray cats around.

catmandu
12-21-2004, 08:30 AM
I have never thought,of that for my Cats,although I do,have a carrier,an old one,outside,so that theStarys,can get out of the cold.I will try that,and see,if they like having new places,to sleep.I did,that one time,with the Meezers,but they are suspicious,as I cloed the gate,and then took,them,to the Vets.

rkidsrcats
12-21-2004, 08:32 AM
It's so like you to worry about the less fortunate ones.
With your outlook on life, everyday must be like Christmas!:p

K & L
12-21-2004, 09:32 AM
What a special person you are. What better gift could you give at Christmas? Bless you!

CalliesMom
12-21-2004, 11:12 AM
CCL- you are such a wonderful person with a loving heart. Those babies, I'm sure, appreciated the extra love you show them even if they are too scared to show you.