PDA

View Full Version : Is this sufficient?

Kfamr
12-20-2004, 09:28 PM
I know the holidays aren't about gifts and all, but I really want to know if you all think the gift I got my mother is sufficient enough?

She said that she wanted Curve perfume, but I honestly did not want to just buy her something that I could pop in the store, pay for it, and then be done.

Instead, I spent about an hour looking through books at the store, for two books that I thought she'd enjoy.

I know it's not much, but to me it's a lot more personal than just perfume. One of the books is Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul. I read a few stories before wrapping it and I was in tears.

I also wrote a page or so long note, telling her how much I honestly love her and how great of a person she is, and put it inside the Mother's book.

Now, for you mothers -- would this be better than perfume, or would you rather have the perfume?

I also plan on burning her some CD's, instead of her stealing my CD's all the time. :p

BitsyNaceyDog
12-20-2004, 09:42 PM
I think that is a lovely gift. Much more personal than perfume. The added touch of your note to it makes it beyond sufficient, it makes it perfect. She will love it. :)

Jods
12-20-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm not a mother, but I think she would love it much better then perfume. Get your dad to buy that :p LOL. Once I wrote my mom a note like that with a really crappy poem I wrote all sappy and dumb LOL and she cried when she read it I had put it in a frame and given it to her. Yeah I know I'm good LOL j/j.... I'm sure she will be thrilled. She'll love it Kay.

Logan
12-20-2004, 10:18 PM
As mother, I would tell you, honestly, KayAnn, that your gift would mean more to me than 100 bottles of the best perfume. You are experiencing the real meaning of Christmas and gift giving. :)

Mandy1
12-20-2004, 10:20 PM
I think it's a great present.

flamepony12
12-20-2004, 10:20 PM
I think that it was very thoughtful of you, Kay! :) As Logan said, It would mean more than 100 bottles of perfume!! :D

Tollers-n-Dobes
12-20-2004, 10:22 PM
I'm not a mom but I think that's a wonderful gift, Kay:) If I did something like that for my mom, I'm sure she'd love more than 1000 bottles of the best perfume in the world:)

catnapper
12-20-2004, 10:24 PM
I think the books are a marvelous idea! I'd cherish the books much longer than I would any perfume.

Kfamr
12-20-2004, 10:36 PM
Thank you guys for the reassurance.

lizzielou742
12-20-2004, 10:37 PM
I'm not a mom, but:

I think those are awesome presents. That Chicken Soup book is really good. :) And the note is a great idea.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you still want to do the Curve thing, you could just sneak by the mall and grab a sample vial and put it in her stocking. ;)

flamepony12
12-20-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742

P.S. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you still want to do the Curve thing, you could just sneak by the mall and grab a sample vial and put it in her stocking. ;)

That's actually a really good idea! :D

KYS
12-20-2004, 10:39 PM
I think you got her a very nice gift.
Your personal note will mean the world to her.

slick
12-20-2004, 11:06 PM
You know what? This year is really tight on money for me and a couple of months ago I was thinking that instead of buying a gift for everyone, I would just write them a letter. In the letter I would say just how much they mean to me. Unfortunately, this never happened. When I wrote out a list of people to write to, it ended up being 40 people!!! :eek: :eek: So instead, I narrowed it down to 20 people for gifts and the rest cards with a short note.

Kay, your Mother should be proud to have you as a daughter. That book and note will mean more to her than anything. :) :)

Corinna
12-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Are you sure I can't adopt you. I bet the letter is what she cherishes most. You are a very thoughtful daughter.

Twisterdog
12-20-2004, 11:59 PM
MUCH better than perfume. Good girl. :)

slleipnir
12-21-2004, 01:27 AM
My mom always tells me she prefers something from the heart over something bought. Even if it's something small and maybe sounds silly to you. My sister when she was little wrapped a quarter up and gave it to her for xmas one year - she still has it lol.

sirrahbed
12-21-2004, 07:09 AM
*I* am a mom and I think your gifts are MUCH better than any bottle of perfume:D

People ask what we want and it is easy to say a bottle of perfume, a new sweater, etc - but MOMS love things made by their kids and specially selected items that show thought! I personally LOVE those Chicken Soup books and bet she had lots of hours of enjoyment over that gift, especially - but ALL sound great. Good work!!

mina'smomma
12-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I know the holidays aren't about gifts and all, but I really want to know if you all think the gift I got my mother is sufficient enough?

She said that she wanted Curve perfume, but I honestly did not want to just buy her something that I could pop in the store, pay for it, and then be done.

Instead, I spent about an hour looking through books at the store, for two books that I thought she'd enjoy.

I know it's not much, but to me it's a lot more personal than just perfume. One of the books is Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul. I read a few stories before wrapping it and I was in tears.

I also wrote a page or so long note, telling her how much I honestly love her and how great of a person she is, and put it inside the Mother's book.

Now, for you mothers -- would this be better than perfume, or would you rather have the perfume?

I also plan on burning her some CD's, instead of her stealing my CD's all the time. :p

Are you KIDDING!!!! My mother would be in tears because I put so much thought into the gift. I'm sure your mom will love it. Don't be surprised if she uses the letter as a bookmark.

primabella
12-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Any personal gift from the heart is worth so much more than anything you can buy in a store. Your mother should love it. Wrap up a box of tissues while you're at it. ;)

Katiesmom
12-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Kay, once again you are amazing...I think your mom would love that present and especially with that lil note to go inside of it....I am a mom and I know it would bring tears to my eyes if my son would do something like that...just to know that you put so much thought into it, than just going to a store to buy some perfume...don't worry I think she will love it:)

4 Dog Mother
12-21-2004, 08:08 AM
As so many others have stated, it is a great idea, Kay! I would rather my kids thought about a gift and especially wrote a note than buy me perfume anyday! How thoughtful of you!

anna_66
12-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Well I thinks that's an amazing idea Kay! I'm sure she will love it more than any ol' bottle of perfume, I know my mom sure would.

Now, think I'll write a little note to my mom now:)

Jadapit
12-21-2004, 09:39 AM
As a mom I can tell you that I would treasure that gift and it's so much better than a bottle of perfume!!!! I have read most of the Chicken Soup books and they are so good. Your mom is going to love it. You and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

lynnestankard
12-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Kay, as a Mum I think your Mum will be delighted to get such a personal present. I used to be thrilled when either of the girls did something like that for me - and she'll keep it forever - promise! xxx

Lynne

Maya & Inka's mommy
12-21-2004, 10:24 AM
I am sure she will LOVE it!! I surely wood ;) :)

Blustang24
12-21-2004, 10:51 AM
KayAnn,

Your mom is going to love that. I really think that even the letter alone would make your mom MORE than happy. I think your dad usually gets her curve anyways?! I was going to get her curve too lol but decided against it last minute. Good job on the gift! You know she'll always enjoy the CD's too.

lute
12-21-2004, 10:56 AM
i think it's a wonderful gift! i don't normally can't afford anything for my parents,but this year i got my mom a $25 gift certificate and my dad some peanut brittle and i made them both cards.they both cried cause i made them cards. they didn't care about the
$30 i spent on them.

Miranda_Rae
12-21-2004, 11:42 AM
I think thats a wonderful gift. If it was my mom she would LOVE it and think it was the greatest gift in the world, but my mom doesn't read a lot and she doesn't have time to read books, so the book thing wouldn't be the best idea for MY mom, but I am sure your mom will love it. :) I got my mom a sweater for Christmas (she wanted a sweater), but you have given me a GREAT idea for stocking stuffers. Thanks!

robinh
12-21-2004, 01:51 PM
If I were your mom, I would be so proud of you for taking the time and thought to do this. It's a priceless gift you are giving her - a part of yourself.