PDA

View Full Version : Court overturns punishment of 'inexcusably rude' vet (GRRR)

QueenScoopalot
12-20-2004, 08:57 PM
http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/politics/10360973.htm

Court overturns punishment of 'inexcusably rude' vet

HARRISBURG, Pa. - A veterinarian who told an elderly woman she would "rot in hell" for complaining to state regulators about how he euthanized her sick dog can't be disciplined, a Commonwealth Court panel ruled Tuesday.

The court called Dr. James W. Nelson's conduct "inexcusably rude" but said it did not amount to incompetence.

"'Unprofessional conduct' is not the same as 'professional incompetency,' and we reject the board's attempt to treat them as identical concepts," wrote Judge Mary Hannah Leavitt.

The decision overturned Nelson's public reprimand by the State Board of Veterinary Medicine and its requirements that he undergo anger-management counseling, attend classes in dealing with owners of euthanized animals and write a letter of apology.

Nelson's lawyer, April McClaine, said the ruling limits the licensing board's authority.

"The bottom line is that the board overreached its authority in attempting to sanction a doctor for conduct that was not prohibited in the (veterinary) act," McClaine said.

Veterinary Board spokeswoman Allison Hrestak said the decision probably won't be appealed to the state Supreme Court.

"It is how the court ruled, and their interpretation of the statutes are a more narrow reading and not as broad as we interpreted it," she said.

Franklin resident Betty Voorhies brought Lady, a cockapoo, to Nelson's clinic in Seneca on Sept. 4, 2001, after the veterinarian had urged her repeatedly to put down the dog. Lady, 17, was blind in one eye and suffered breathing problems from an enlarged heart.

After two failed attempts to inject the fatal solution into Lady's front legs, Nelson injected it into the struggling animal's jugular vein, "causing the dog to howl and collapse," according to the court opinion. Voorhies became highly upset and accused him of torturing Lady to death.

"It was awful. I was so upset. I came home and I'd lay awake at nights. It was all I could think about," Voorhies, 65, said Tuesday.

Voorhies filed a complaint. The same day a state investigator visited Nelson's office in northwestern Pennsylvania, the veterinarian phoned Voorhies to pressure her to drop the matter.

"When (Voorhies) refused to answer his questions, (Nelson) loudly told the client that her soul would rot in hell for what she was trying to do to him," wrote board attorney Teresa A. Lazo-Miller.

Leavitt compared Nelson's appeal to two prior court cases that addressed the meaning of "incompetence" in the context of regulated professions. A 1978 Commonwealth Court decision found that actions of an optometrist who didn't inform patients of the location of his new office and told one patient to "go to hell" were "reprehensible, but not incompetent."

Commonwealth Court in 1989 also overturned the punishment of a funeral director for making an irate phone call to a priest's secretary to complain that the priest was directing parishioners to another funeral home.

Jods
12-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Oh my GOD! sorry, but thats terrible I would never be able to get that pic out of my head.

QueenScoopalot
12-20-2004, 09:24 PM
This one "hits home" in a big way with me! A particular local vet, who I can't stand, many years ago did a heartworm test on a badly abused rescued dog I found "Maggie" (RIP little girl). I wanted to see the other vet there, who was like Mr. Rogers, but there was a long line, and I was in a rush, so decided to see the demon vet. My rescued puppy Maggie was very traumatised by men obviously, and I warned this vet. He tried drawing blood, and she started struggling, so he took her in the backroom, where I could hear her making strange noises. The creep brings her back out, throws her on the floor, and tells me "Get your spoiled brat out of here". Needless to say, I left promptly, and a few hours later noticed the whites of Maggies eyes, were blood red! :mad: :mad: He put her in such a strangle hold, he ruptured all the blood vessels in her eyes! :mad: And to top it off, he had the NERVE to send me a card saying she needed vaccines etc, at a certain date! I told them off in a big way, but this cretin is still in practice...almost dead though;) at well into his 70s. Can't wait till he dies sorry to say. :mad:

moosmom
12-21-2004, 08:20 AM
I think when a person goes to college to become a vet, they should definitely teach them how to deal a little more appropriately with difficult situations. Both vets were absolutely wrong. The first one took an oath to care for animals, not torture them. HE should rot in hell for what he did to that poor lady. I'm sure she's having nightmares about it.

Jan, your vet needs to retire, and FAST!!! He sounds like he's losing, if he hasn't already lost, what's left of his mind. Sure, animals struggle. But to put that poor dog in a choke hold for a blood sample??? I think not. He could've stepped back, took a deep breathe and either called in the other vet to do it, or asked that you give him a few minutes to compose himself.

Some people are just not cut out to be veterinarians. These are two perfect examples.

QueenScoopalot
12-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by moosmom
I think when a person goes to college to become a vet, they should definitely teach them how to deal a little more appropriately with difficult situations. Both vets were absolutely wrong. The first one took an oath to care for animals, not torture them. HE should rot in hell for what he did to that poor lady. I'm sure she's having nightmares about it.

Jan, your vet needs to retire, and FAST!!! He sounds like he's losing, if he hasn't already lost, what's left of his mind. Sure, animals struggle. But to put that poor dog in a choke hold for a blood sample??? I think not. He could've stepped back, took a deep breathe and either called in the other vet to do it, or asked that you give him a few minutes to compose himself.

Some people are just not cut out to be veterinarians. These are two perfect examples.
Donna, I never stepped foot back into that creeps clinic after he strangled Maggie like that! :mad: And every opportunity I get, I tell people about his treatment of Maggie! I just hope he drops dead soon, as the world would be better off without his way of dealing with patients, and people. :mad:

moosmom
12-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Jan,

I hear ya!!