PDA

View Full Version : MUSCOVY DUCKS

furrykittenlover
11-03-2001, 09:49 AM
Hey everybody! I got a 3 year old beautiful male muscovy duck. Do any of you other pet lovas got muscovy ducks?? :)

purrley
11-05-2001, 11:48 AM
I'd like to see a picture of your Muscovey. Is he a wild or domesticate?

furrykittenlover
11-05-2001, 06:44 PM
Hi! Im sorry i dont have a picture of my duck :( :( :( muscovies are domesticated ducks, they are a tropical duck that come from africa, and the first people to domesticate them were known as muscovians, so thats where they get their name. I have a male duck, which are almost 2 times bigger than the females, so he is quite large. If you want to see a picture of one, heres a like for you: (this one is a female) http://journeytoforever.org/media/m/mduck2.jpg
And heres a pic of a male: http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/animal/a2/1003-Muscovy_Duck-by_GRC.jpg
The ducks come in many different colors than what you see here
:)
Hope u like the pics!!

purrley
11-06-2001, 07:30 AM
WOW :eek: I've never seen a duck like that. I live in a condo complex and we have several ponds - so we have a lot of ducks around here - green heads and pin tails mostly. I've taken a few baby ducks in and raised them until they were able to fend for themselves. They imprint on ya really fast, then you own them LOL. Thanks for the pix - I enjoyed them a lot!!!

zippy-kat
11-06-2001, 07:59 AM
Awww...those ducklings are precious!!

furrykittenlover
11-06-2001, 03:12 PM
Yea, these ducks dont quack, they hiss (lol) The first reactions i get from my neigbors is that they thought it was a turkey, not a duck (lol) They are so cute as babies! When they grow up their feathers have a sort of bright green in them, its real pretty. :)

zippy-kat
11-06-2001, 06:31 PM
Hiss? Kinda like a goose?

Of course all duckies have their own personality, but in general, what is their temperment like? Is it like that of a goose? The geese I've been around haven't been too nice! :o

What is the lifespan of a duck? a goose?

3-greys-and-a-mutt
11-06-2001, 08:12 PM
I don't have a Muscovey duck, but I think this is a picture of one:
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/022/G2/no/V0/Pd56189.jpg

I shot this picture two years ago when my husband and were on our honeymoon in the Virgin Islands. This duck was wild, and it lived on the Mahogany Run golf course on St. Thomas. I thought it was so cool looking that I had to shoot it's picture!
Do you know how these ducks ended up living in the Caribbean?

furrykittenlover
11-08-2001, 02:08 PM
Hey! Yea i think muscovies might be part goose becuase they are pretty large..The also hiss like geese... Muscovies are extremeley friendly, although some love some people so much that they show their love by biting..Lucky for me I got one of those ducks! :rolleyes: I don't know how the muscovies could have ended up in the carrabian. I know someone who knows a TON about muscovies and i talk to her all the time. If you want to ask her, email her at [email protected]
:cool:

furrykittenlover
11-08-2001, 02:09 PM
Oh yea i forgot to say, that duck in that picture is a muscovy!!
:)

tatsxxx11
11-10-2001, 04:42 PM
What a beautiful duck! Sure does look like it has a bit of the goose in him! :) Very interesting to learn about these guys. Thanks!