PDA

View Full Version : nail clipping

blue_heeler
08-16-2000, 10:47 AM
I want to trim my guinea pig's nails but I do not know what to use. I di not have any small animal nail clippers. Can you help me?

Kat
08-19-2000, 03:28 AM
Hey blue_heeler! I have actually used small animal nail clippers to clip my pigs' nails, but I find that small scissors actually work the best! I use a pair of small material scissors, and they work really well! When you clip your piggie's nails, make sure that you don't cut into the quick cos that hurts http://smilecwm.tripod.com/net/ukliam2.gif !

horse_1987
08-23-2000, 11:31 AM
I just use regular people nail clippers, Make sure you can tell where the vein is. It is hard with my oldest boar because he has brown nails,and he has to give me a hard time (he hates having them done) but some guinea pigs have pink nails. I usually cut on a slant. The vet told me it should be done at least once a month.

------------------

Horse_1987

Kat
08-24-2000, 02:52 AM
If you look under a dark toe, you can see the quick. But sometimes the pig doesn't let you look under his toe, and that can make it a bit hard! I usually cut my pigs' nails whenever they're about 1 or 2mm past the quick.