PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed please!

cubby31682
12-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Last night while I was letting Gracie outside I walked off the porch and stood in the yard as I some times do. I think she was playing but, she would run around me in a circle and bite my calf on my one leg. Every time I would shout 'OUCH' she would look at me and do it again and again. I have holes in my leg and I am bruised all over my leg as well. I had a hard time sleeping last night because anything that touched that area hurt. I was also trying to figure out why she was doing this. I wasn't trying to play with her in the yard before this happened.

She is my baby girl but I can't handle her doing this. She tried to do it today and I ran to the porch but of course knowing good ole me I slipped and fell. Lol. I know I shouldn't run, but at the same time hubby was calling her so I wouldn't get my leg bit again.

I will also be signing her up for obediance classes in January. She really needs to go to them.

Thanks for any advice ahead of time. I really appreciate it.

Katie

LorraineO
12-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Well... ok,,, ummm,, aside from a good whack on the nose and a firm NO,,,and I KNOW ppl will freak at that suggestion......

how about you carry a squirt bottle with you and when she does that,, squirt her in the face and say NO firmly..... spray bottles are great for deterring a dog from all kinds of things. We use ours alot and it has helped HUGELY!!!!

Karen
12-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Anyone you know who plays sports? I'm serious - shin guards spring immediately to mind. First, make sure those marks don't get infected.

My thought: If shin guards are not available, then put an extra pair of loose jeans on over your others when you're going to take her out. Take her out only on the leash, then when you are going to let her loose, make her sit first. If she runs in a circle and seems to be coming to nip, don't run away. Crouch down so your legs aren't too exposed, and catch her as she comes by. "Sit" "Good girl!" then offer her a toy to chew instead of you. Maybe if she has a toy to carry around, she won't even think of nipping? Pups routinely nip each other in play, but she's got to learn you're not a littermate, and nipping you is not an option!

Obedience classes will help, too. Until then, thick socks, two pairs of jeans, and diversionary tactics!

Giselle
12-20-2004, 02:41 AM
Ahhh...What a beautiful Dobermann you have! I love Dobies. Obedience classes are a must, and I'm thrilled you've signed up for them already.

I've worked with a few dobies, and I know they like to see a reaction when they do something. In your case, Gracie nipped you a bit and you yelped and probably jerked your leg. Each successing nip, you probably jerked your leg back more or shifted around. By doing so, you can relate your situation to that of a cat and a ball of yarn. Every time the animals nips or strikes an object, it moves around enticing the animal. I'm afraid Gracie thinks it's a game:D One particular Dobie that I know will jump on you to get a reaction. He gets this look in his eyes- like a stale stare- before he pounces. When I see that look, I turn towards a corner and fold my arms. He jumps, but there's no reaction. Within half an hour, he did not try to jump no matter how excited he got. Dobies are wickedly smart, and I know Gracie will see that nipping is no fun as soon as you stop giving her a reaction. :) I second the shin guards. With many large breeds, I find that physical force entices the animal further and doesn't help much. That's why I'd say No to giving a whack on the nose. The squirt bottle might work...

aly
12-20-2004, 09:18 AM
It sounds like she may be testing her boundaries and also her pack order right now. Obedeince classes will help, but I'd also do a few other things to let her know that you are 'top dog'. I'm not sure if you're allowing her on your furniture, but I wouldn't allow her on it until she's been through obedience and has stopped the nipping game. Having her sit on the floor while the humans are on the furniture will let her know she is lower than you guys in the pack. Also, you guys should eat before feeding her. Even if you just eat one cracker, be sure she sees you eat it before you give her dinner. It would be a good idea to have her 'sit' or follow another command befure she is given dinner too. Other things such as going through doorways first are important too. Also, if she comes up to you and wants you to pet her or play a game, have her 'sit' or 'down' first. That way she is doing something for you and working for her reward. Be sure that you start and stop all games (like fetch). Stop the game before she loses interest in it so you can maintain control of the resources. They seem like small things, but if you do them all and stay consistent, it will let Gracie know where she is in the pack.

When she does stop testing boundaries, you can slowly give her back some privilages, such as getting on the furniture. If she starts nipping again though, you will need to not let her on the furniture again and continue leadership exercises with her.

If you want me to clarify any of this or give more examples, let me know. It is a lot harder for me to type it all out so I hope it makes sense. I explain myself much better in person.

cubby31682
12-20-2004, 10:31 AM
We do for the most part eat before she gets her food, except in the morning when I am getting ready for work. I do make her 'sit' and 'stay' then 'go' then she gets her food. She is also allowed on the furniture, so I will put a stop to that today! I will also try not to have a reaction when she nips me.

The whake on the nose thing, I have tried that but I can't reach her. For the most part we do go through doors before she does, but at times she pushes her way through.

aly
12-20-2004, 02:17 PM
Smacking on the nose is a very bad idea anyway. Either she will look at it as a game and become more aroused, or she will view your hands as a bad thing and cower when you want to pet her. Not only that, it will put a huge strain in your relationship. Positive reinforcement training paired with consistent rules will result in a happier, mentally secure, more well behaved dog.