PDA

View Full Version : In Remembrance of my grandfather

moosmom
12-19-2004, 02:29 PM
December 19, 1973

31 years ago today in Wethersfield, Connecticut, my grandfather died at the age of 80, from 3rd degree burns over 75 percent of his body. :(

It was during one week of a very bad ice storm, with no power or heat, that we kept our fireplace going in an effort to keep warm. When the power finally came back on, Bumpy George, as he was known, cleaned out our fireplace and placed the ashes in a plastic trash can lined with a trash bag. Little did he know some of the ashes were still hot. The trash can exploded in his face after he placed the lid on it.

I will never forget the smell of burning flesh, or the sight of a torched Christmas tree and burned gifts.

Nor will I forget my Bumpy, who would sing me to sleep as a child to the tune of "Goodnight Sweetheart".

RIP Bumps. I miss you every single day of my life and cry whenever I hear "our" song.

Love,

Donna

davidpizzica
12-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Oh Donna, {{{{HUGS}}}} to you today. What a sad remembrance just before Christmas.Your grandfather was a remarkable man. He seemed a lot like my own father. As I read about him, I started to tear up for you. Your grandfather and my father are both looking down on us and smiling. I love you, sweetheart and {{{{HUGS}}}} again.

catnapper
12-19-2004, 04:57 PM
What truly sad way to die. At an awful time of year to lose a loved one. Glad to hear that he's never left your heart and will always be with you.

teenster3
12-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Oh my, what do you say to a horrible story like that?!
I'm very sorry he had to go in such a manner!
It's amazing how stories or circumstances in our lives affect us days & years later. I'm glad he's still in your memories & I'm sure he's watching over you! My thoughts are with you!
Tina

Laura's Babies
12-19-2004, 10:06 PM
RIP Grampa, you are still remembered and missed.

luckies4me
12-20-2004, 12:19 AM
I am sorry for your loss Donna. RIP Bumpy!

kimlovescats
12-20-2004, 12:25 AM
Donna, I am so sorry that you have to remember this tragic event with sadness for so many years. Please try to think more of the wonderful loving relationship you shared, and block those horrible memories from your heart and mind! ((((HUGS)))
Kim